Orange Twists 71 Duster Build

-
Really nice car to start with, will be awesome after the resto. Digging the color/interior combo.
Here are a couple of pics of the only other orange car I've seen with the same interior. Original survivor that was for sale on here about a year ago.

Thanks. I like that one. nice and clean looking. that painted roof looks real good on there.

your car may have just convinced me to do the twister package to mine. not certain yet, but pretty sure. im looking forward to seeing it with the trim and stripes back on.

michael

Whats the wheel size and tire size? And offset? I really like the way it looks, and im looking to put ralleys on mine.

thanks guys. i have some more pics to put up, just havent gotten around to it yet. probably monday or tuesday night.

Whats the wheel size and tire size? And offset? I really like the way it looks, and im looking to put ralleys on mine.

ive got different wheels now but the rallyes were:
rear 15x8 with 4.5"backspace mounted on 275/60s
front 15x6 with 4.5" backspace on 205/70s

My car is an original twister also. are you still doing the strobe strip on the hood? I hope so!

My car is an original twister also. are you still doing the strobe strip on the hood? I hope so!

Yes. I did the strobe and added the dual scoops. It looks really good. Its back from the body shop know. Currently working on wire wheeling the underside to prep for paint.

looking great,,,,, did you paint or powder coat those cal custom valve covers??

might want to think about putting baffles on the inside of the valve covers. Since you're not running PCV etc, are you just running oil caps on both sides?

My 340 wanted to breathe, but I had the stock air cleaner and did all the breather "crap". My 440 has the Moroso open breathers and a PVC hose to the base of the (back) of the carb. Also, the grommet style stick. I prefer the twist on cap/breather.

Just my .02

Do you know how much paint was needed for the entire car? Door jambs, trunk, interior, engine bay etc? Thanks!

looking great,,,,, did you paint or powder coat those cal custom valve covers??

I had them powder coated in the chrome powder along with the air cleaner lid.

might want to think about putting baffles on the inside of the valve covers. Since you're not running PCV etc, are you just running oil caps on both sides?

Im putting baffles in them, just havent messed with it yet. Im not sure what breathers or anything im going to use yet though.

Do you know how much paint was needed for the entire car? Door jambs, trunk, interior, engine bay etc? Thanks!

Im not sure as far as the primer and clear any everything. I know as far as color goes there was 2 gallons and I have a little bit left of the second gallon. So after it was mixed, it was about 2 3/4 gallon of material.

Its back from the body shop. Got it up in the air, wire wheeling the underside to prep for paint.
Got the K memeber off being blasted so it can be powder coated. Got the rear out to clean up and prep for paint.

My dad was on vacation, so while i was sleeping for work, he and a buddy used a hot pressure washer and cleaned and degreased the underside for me. It was full of Texas dirt.

2.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

Got it inside and ripped all the suspension out.

2011-10-19_03-55-18_538.jpg

2011-10-19_03-55-01_33.jpg

2011-10-19_03-54-09_280.jpg

2011-10-19_03-54-29_757.jpg

Luckily the floors are really good, so its not going to take a whole lot to prep them for paint.

2011-10-19_00-00-54_350.jpg

2011-10-18_23-56-27_783.jpg

2011-10-18_23-56-37_700.jpg

2011-10-18_23-57-40_48.jpg

ah ok so I might need 2 gallons of just colored paint for my car..hmmm Thanks!

That is one hot looking car!! Love the steel hood with the scoops!! That color with those stripes looks great! Get ready to turn heads when you get that car on the road!!!! Everyone is gonna be looking!

this is my favorite Duster color combo.....it yells Mopar Musclecar!

very nice ride you have there orangetwist.....very nice

Mopar to ya'
Denny

Sweet, documenting an original car only adds to the value.

Question, why did you not do the suspension or paint on the underside of the car first?

Or did the car turn out so nice that it deserved it.

Super nice ride.

As far as Dusters this is my all time favorite combo.Year,engine,color,body and hood stripes,grille,scoops,and interior.

Question, why did you not do the suspension or paint on the underside of the car first?

there were a couple of reasons. one was timing as far as going to the body shop. the other was there ended up being a change in plans as far as how im doing it all. original plan was to por 15 and paint all the suspension and underbody. not knocking doing it that way, because it would have still looked really good done that way.

but i was taught to always do it the best way you can. so, once it came back, i thought about it and talked about it. the final decision was to pull it all , sandblast and powder coat what i could and paint and detail other parts. and now instead of doing the black underbody, its going to be orange also. some people say not to do body color underbody because of keeping it clean, but its not like its a DD or anything so im not too worried about it.

thanks for the compliments everybody. right now im shooting to have it ready for World of Wheels Indy. I think I should be able to make it in time to get some finished pics to send them before the deadline. ive got everything else pretty much ready to go in once we are finished with the underside and suspension.

im not going to rush and possibly cut any corners just to try and make it for that though. heck my original finish date i wanted to make was the nationals. once that passed it was monster mopar, and now we are on to WOW. so we will just see how it all pans out.

-
Back