Our 1974 Duster Project! Give us some ideas

-

107jm

Reaction score
Tell us what you think of the car so far.
It's a 318 Duster.
The car was bought about 2 months ago.
The torsion bar adjusters/assembly gave out, that's why the front end is so low, A new pair should arrive this weekend, We'll post pics showing the new height!
Tell us what you think of it, what can be done to improve it, color schemes, power output ideas!

Attachments

• P071111001.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 287
  • P071111009.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 327
  • P071111012.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 282
  • P071111010.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 278
  • P071111008.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 281
  • P071111007.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 272
  • P071111006.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 287
  • P071111003.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 270
  • P071111002 (1).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 281
Your car looks like the car that was in my dream........ same stance :| I do believe the mopar gods are speaking to me...... I shall impart you their whimsical words!

27233910150703782480643.jpg

It looks like you have a clean car to start with. I would recommend looking for a different set of wheels, and just cleaning the engine bay would make it look a lot better.

asktoro: Thanks! Great drawing by the way, seriously!, I can barely draw a round circle
: /
were thinking about keeping the same stance but at a higher height..* i hope you understood that lol*
great color! I'll photoshop the car to make it look like the car in your dream!
i'll post a pic soon

It looks like a good clean slate to start with. What do you want it to be/look like? If you try to build it for "us", it will never get done - you will never get consensus on what it should be!
I don't understand what you mean by the torsion bar adjuster "giving out".
C

You're right. Me and my friends are asking around for paint scheme ideas,were still not sure what the end result color will be, but what were sure of, is that we want it to be a
1.street/strip car
2.daily driver
3.Reach high 12's in the Quarter Mile.

"giving out" was an extremely bad choice of words, I apologize.
We took the car to a shop to be lowered, the mechanic stripped the bolt and ruined the left Torsion Bar assembly.

quick questions.
Were going to try and squeeze around 400HP out of the Duster.
When done, would we need to reinforce the car because of the power?

Do you think it'll be possible to get that much power out of a 318, or are we looking at an engine swap?

Bore out the 318 -- if you got deep pockets get a crate 340/360 -- you didnt say whether it was clutch or auto. There's a lot of factors at play. What you're doing is being too general and broad. Nearly any engine can get 12s its a matter of parts and money. Strip cars aren't very streetable, they got stall converters as high as 5,000 which makes it pretty rough on the streets, not to mention gas.

Everybody likes throwing around the term 'street/strip'

I think what you want is just a good all round car that can lay out rubber, a street fighter of sort which is what I'm doing.

Basically I got it mapped out

1500 - 2000 rpm it'd have 150-200 hp

Round 2500-3500 it'd have 200-300 hp ths is plenty of pep and fun

it'd peak out around 4000 rpm where the engine gets -serious- and starts to show its true numbers, for the strip and burning rubber. About 450/550 and wont go beyond 6000 rpm. this easily translates to a 13-12 second car. I'm still working on what kind of cam grind I want and how to make an engine do exactly that..... parts as well, but ive came to the conclusion that I want everything to be forged steel with the exception of the heads.

Check the numbers on this build

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/engine/mopp_0310_340_engine_600_hp/photo_23.html

pretty sexy huh? I want to do something similar, probably a milder cam and a little more CID. Might do a stroked/supercharged combo...... still up in the air :)

"I think what you want is just a good all round car that can lay out rubber, a street fighter of sort which is what I'm doing."
You read my mind!
it's an auto, probably going to make it manual.
WOW i've never seen a 340 get 600hp! 0.0
amazing setup, you have to post pics, when you get started!

Would you be able to answer my reinforcement question?

yeah, lol sorry.Im new to cars. Im learning as i go.
yea sub frame connectors.

There's a guy on here who welds em up and sells em pretty fair, don't remember his name. Sub-frame connectors are pretty much the first step people take prior power adders. I'd suggest you stick with the bolt in ones unless you got welding skills. You can bore out the 318, put worked X or J heads on it, a bit of a stronger cam, replace bearings/rods/seals, get an aluminum manifold and better carb then you'd be set. Could probably do all that for about a grand with some keen shopping.

Northridge Ca, by the area code listed!

Awesome car 107jm! Did you get this off of Cragislist? I recall seeing this car and liking the stance it had! Looking forward to seeing progress on this car for sure!

@asktoro:When we bought the car it came with a 600CFM Edelbrock carb model 1408 and an aluminum manifold from edelbrock, they look pretty old, but I'm sure when we clean them up they'll perform better.I'll post pics soon

@Rocker'sDuster: yep, Northridge, California, We found it on craigslist, and drove about 100 miles south, (about 30 miles from the US/Mexico border) of L.A. to pick it up.
I think i've seen your duster at a car show.(The van nuys cruise)
Is this you?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kh_UVKVtfE&feature=channel_video_title"]YouTube - ‪Van nuys cruise night‬‏[/ame]

Hey 107jm, no that's not me man. My car really hasn't left Northern San Diego County since I bought it almost three years ago.

Sure as heck looks like it though!

As I mentioned earlier, I look forward to watching your project develop! :thumleft:

Would any of you happen to know the original rim and tire size of 74' Duster 318 and 340?
I don't think the rims and tires on the Duster are the right size.

Torsion Bar Adjusters/assebly came in this weekend.
After trail and error we got the right ride height we wanted.

The old assembly set. with the temporary "Tba" the dumb mechanic installed, after stripping the old one.

Some shots are before and after.
The pic where the front end of the duster is high up, was after the new TBA was installed;Too high .we lowered it to about and 1 or clearance from the tire and fender.

Attachments

• P071811057.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 154
  • P071811050.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 154
  • P071811055.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 149
  • P071111012.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 143
  • P071811047.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 191
  • P071811040.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 141
  • P071111001.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 148
That stance looks so much better in my mind anyway. It will probably ride better too. Nice project you got there.

-
Back