Outside mirror

-
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) 111 (1993) sets performance standards requiring the ability to see both sides of the vehicle from the driver's seat. This means that dual outside mirrors have been required since 1993.

That's not quite correct. Passenger vehicles, covered by Section 5 of FMVSS 111, still today do not have to have a passenger-side mirror unless the field of view provided by the inside rearview mirror does not meet the requirements of paragraph 5.1. This could be the case if the vehicle's backglass is small, or if the inside mirror's view of the outside is blocked by an opaque panel of some kind inside the car (like a limousine partition) or an exterior feature or design aspect of the body.

Although the inside mirror provides the legally required field of view on most vehicles, a passenger side mirror is provided anyhow because people want them.

Just an update on where we are with this.

I had managed to find a right hand mirror from and Austrailian Valiant. I found this on an internet auction site and purchased sight unseen. When it arrived the mirror head and cables were the same as mine but the base was wrong. I ended up buying a wireless rear view camera and mounted the camera onto the rear of the trailer. While this is good it still doesn't let me see down the outside of the trailer on the right side causing a blind spot.

Yesterday my wife and I were out in the garage and she saw the mirror and asked if I was going to fit it? Looking at it again I decided to pull it apart and make a new base to match the original as on the left side but with the provision to be able to turn the mirror in slightly more than original to allow the driver to see out it. Yes, I know it won't be perfect but, it will at least remove the blind spot. I will probably fit a convex mirror as well.

This might provide insight as to why Dusters do have dual sport mirrors and don't have wing windows.

They are even worse as the body bulges out around the wheels and blocks the much smaller mirror glass

But they look BAD@$$
The first pic kinda shows the body bulge over the rear tires

Attachments

• IMG_0928.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0932.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 86
FWIW, I have at least one correct Australian RH-side A-body remote-control mirror assembly, correct head, correct base, correct control and cables, good chrome, that I am not going to use. I guess I ought to put up an ad; I've got some LH units, too.

I finished making the mount. It was cut from a piece of timber and made undersize. Then built up to size with a two part finishing putty glaze that the local spray painters use. Then sprayed a silver. I may make another and use it as a pattern to get one cast in alloy.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/Geriatrix_photos/DSCF3932_zps33291b55.jpg

Just have to get up the courage to drill a hole in the door.

-
Back