Overpriced LD340

-
As soon as you bolt it down on an engine, it's a used part and worth only half as much..........it's called depreciation

The guy has the right to ask whatever he wants. ......and the comment about him being a thief is unfounded. I have done business with George in the past and his parts are exactly as described. He does have a lot of stuff. Similar to the late Frank Mitchell (RIP). People bitched about Frank's prices, but he HAD the stuff. He also stood behind it with a guarantee. And about calling non factory stuff NOS, what else would you call it if it's still unused? Is it not NOS simply because it's an aftermarket part? It's still new and it's old and no longer made. Doesn't that fit NOS?

I always thought NOS was New Old Stock. That doesn't necessarily apply to just Mopars.

It's nos, sure, but I guess what bothers most is, it's not like an intake is a wear part. As long as it's not ate out from bad coolant, it's the same at a million miles as one mile.
It's still an aftermarket bolt on non wearing part. How would you use that in a platinum resto (the only application I know of the l that NEEDS nos parts), and still be platinum? It's an oxymoron.
On top of that, an intake is like the ONE non wearing component I can think of, unless threads get stripped or it's been installed a billion times.

Whatever.if some guy/gal wants or needs it at that price, that's on them.

I'm sure it is NOS, it looks like it is. But, it's not an OE part, and the guys that pay big bucks for NOS parts are guys that are doing high dollar restorations.

I just don't see paying that kind of money for a NOS aftermarket part, at least not that one anyway. I don't know of any car that would warrant a big dollar resto that would use an LD340. Some of the famous custom or hot rod restorations will pay big bucks for aftermarket, period correct parts like that. Like if you were restoring the Hemi under glass or something. But I don't know of any big name, high dollar cars that would need an LD340 to be correct.

Whatever, it's his part and he can ask whatever he wants for it. If someone buys it, then that's what it's worth. I've followed a couple of parts on eBay going on over 6 years now, never sold, price never lowered. Guess the owner doesn't need/want to sell. Which is ok too, it's their part.

a fool and his money are soon parted..

Either you want the stuff or not. I agree about certain things being over priced, but when it's something we all know has worth, there's no sense in bashing on it out of jealousy. Just don't buy it.

If someone would give me that kind of cash, I may sell one of mine...

George lives a few exits down the freeway from me. I've been over to his place a couple of times. Yes his prices are high but his stuff is nice. Once I got to know him he's even GIVEN me a few small parts and sold me some other stuff at a reasonable price. I am pretty sure he does eBay for a living. He's a good guy. Don't like his prices, don't buy from him......... Simple.

Geez I got mine on craigslist for 70 bucks. I don't know who would pay that much for any intake except a race prepped ported unit.

And whom was begging? Thing is I seem to recall most guys except for just 3 were too selfish to bother helping a disabled person....

Well......say someone wanted to recreate a Mopar they had back in the 70s. They had an LD340 bought from a local Dodge dealer. Someone with deep enough pockets that could afford that. They are out there and that's what George is countin on. Honestly, it's none of anyone's business. He can ask what he wants for it. I've seen those Thrush beer can header mufflers go on ebay for like 500 dollars a pair. I remember buying them back in the early 80s for $9.95 each. It's all about reliving your past, which is pretty popular with babyboomers.......and some of them are quite well off. Nothing wrong with what George is doing. It's called Capitalism and Free Enterprise. That's what makes this world work. If you think something costs too much, don't buy it. It's really not that difficult.

Whew, we kinda thought it was the other way around, lol. Yeah, good trade!!

Ha! Ha! I have a Torker on a 340 I got from a buddy that will go in my Duster when it's ever done. I told my buddy I was putting an LD340 on it and he told me not - my motor now! So, eventually I will have another Torker for sale!

Where about's in Michigan are you? I'm over in Holton on the West side.

george used to buy a lot of parts from me, untill the last time after he left i could not find some parts i had. next day he had them listed on ebay for crazy prices so i called him on it and he did not want to pay me for the parts. i did get some $ out of him but he showed me his true colors.

....Speaking of overpriced LD340's

Thread repairs and whitewashed of whatever is underneath a rattle can paint job.

A savvy buyer wants to see what's under fresh paint. Not a lot of savvy buyers of LD340's though...

Sure there are some people truely building Day Two Mopars with these. Not many as people think. I don't think that at fueling the buying market.

Many buyers stupidly think an LD340 manifold is a significant improvement over a Edelbrock RPM....WRONG!

Other buyers think an LD340 with factory part number keeps there car more stock or this ONE part magically makes their car "Day Two" trumping the other modern mods.... BOTH WRONG!

At some point you gotta say, "Don't hate the player. Hate the game"

There was a dyno test in one of the Mopar magazines that showed the LD340 slightly outflowed a new Performer RPM. SLIGHTLY, isn't enough to make me pay double for an LD340 vs a new in the box Performer RPM.The first high performance part I ever bought was a brand new LD340 at Danny's Auto Parts in 1975. If I didn't have enough of em stashed back to keep me supplied, I'd buy a Performer RPM in a heart beat. It's just whatever one prefers. Some are way over priced, but like they say....there's an *** for every seat!

Sure there are some people truely building Day Two Mopars with these. Not many as people think. I don't think that at fueling the buying market.
---o< snip o<---
Other buyers think an LD340 with factory part number keeps there car more stock or this ONE part magically makes their car "Day Two" trumping the other modern mods.... BOTH WRONG!

What is a 'Day Two' car?

-
Back