Painless wire harness install (MORE PROGRESS)

-
thanks bro. welding that conduit is like welding a pop can. super thin. was for sure a learning experience. wanna get good penetration because im butt welding and then finish grinding the welds but dont wanna blow thru or create slag on the inside. took me a bit of time but eventually got it figured out.

Tig or Mig? I hear ya on the Mig. The wire sometimes is thicker than the material.

Tig or Mig? I hear ya on the Mig. The wire sometimes is thicker than the material.

all i have is my miller matic 211. its a great mig machine but im not that great of a welder. that and all i have is .035 wire. close as i come to tig is with my torch and a coat hanger. lol

I guess you know by now, but watch the fumes from that galvanizing.

Wish I had you for a neighbor, LOL

ya that zinc is nasty ****. i sanded it off at least an inch back from the weld joint but it still burns from the inside. i wore a respirator while i did it and quenched it right after i welded.

we could be neighbors..... houses on both sides of me are empty foreclosures. hell one of them had a brand new 10x12 ceder shake shed on it. before i put my fence up i layed down some 4x4s and pulled it into my yard. lol then i put the fence up. ha ha ha.

I welded galvanized metal for years. They say you get sick from it but I never did and I welded Miles and Miles of it.... Literally. As far as after affects it has been about 18 years since I did that kind of work and I am still alive and well, no lung problems etc! Lol

I welded galvanized metal for years. They say you get sick from it but I never did and I welded Miles and Miles of it.... Literally. As far as after affects it has been about 18 years since I did that kind of work and I am still alive and well, no lung problems etc! Lol

knock on wood man. my girl friend has been a LPN for 2 yrs. now at a Pulmonary clinic and she see's all kinds of **** with welders. Her brother is a welder by trade. has been welding aluminum boats for 10 yrs. he is 35 and was just diagnosed with COPD. I went out and got me a good respirator just for that reason .

knock on wood man. my girl friend has been a LPN for 2 yrs. now at a Pulmonary clinic and she see's all kinds of **** with welders. Her brother is a welder by trade. has been welding aluminum boats for 10 yrs. he is 35 and was just diagnosed with COPD. I went out and got me a good respirator just for that reason .

I was never in a confined area, all welding was done outside or in a well ventilated area so that must have something to do with it. I am immune to it! :D

I did that kind of work for 14 years. Not always galvanized but a whole hell of a lot sure was! My lungs are clear. I don't drink and have never smoked. That might have something to do with it?

Sorry to hear about your brother in law COPD is some serious stuff.

last night i got the inner fender all scuffed, cleaned and masked. then i shot the under coating. here she is all ready to go. Fender will be back on and ready to rock this weekend.

No criticism here, just observation. When I saw the conduit on the driver side for the first time it looked kinda ugly going around that structural piece. Not that I could have done better, but it seemed like an experienced electrician could have used a pipe bender to make that kink. I was an electrician's apprentice once upon a time, and tube bending was always a mystery, There were folks who could make a couple of measurements, bend the pipe on the ground and hang conduit runs that were like works of art.

Then I saw the conduit on the passenger side and noticed the kink looked much smoother, like you HAD bent the pipe - much better IMHO! But then came the welding discussion. If that passenger side is welded, not bent, you do mighty fine welding!

Great thread, and mighty nice project!!

BC

No criticism here, just observation. When I saw the conduit on the driver side for the first time it looked kinda ugly going around that structural piece. Not that I could have done better, but it seemed like an experienced electrician could have used a pipe bender to make that kink. I was an electrician's apprentice once upon a time, and tube bending was always a mystery, There were folks who could make a couple of measurements, bend the pipe on the ground and hang conduit runs that were like works of art.

Then I saw the conduit on the passenger side and noticed the kink looked much smoother, like you HAD bent the pipe - much better IMHO! But then came the welding discussion. If that passenger side is welded, not bent, you do mighty fine welding!

Great thread, and mighty nice project!!

BC

I'm sure there is someone out there that could make those bends and make it all out of one piece but I don't know him so i had to make do with what i got. Yes the driver side was a little more crude with the mitered cuts and welds but its all a learning curve. That and i doubt anyone will ever see it. it is tucked up into the fender so far that you damn near have to lay down under the car to see it. It is functional. the wires are now hidden and protected. thats what i was going for. Gonna call it a win.

I'm sure there is someone out there that could make those bends and make it all out of one piece but I don't know him so i had to make do with what i got. Yes the driver side was a little more crude with the mitered cuts and welds but its all a learning curve. That and i doubt anyone will ever see it. it is tucked up into the fender so far that you damn near have to lay down under the car to see it. It is functional. the wires are now hidden and protected. thats what i was going for. Gonna call it a win.

Oh, it's definitely a win - the whole project is! You definitely achieved your goals, congrats. But how DID you get the passenger side to look so smoothly bent into place welding it up??

BC

Oh, it's definitely a win - the whole project is! You definitely achieved your goals, congrats. But how DID you get the passenger side to look so smoothly bent into place welding it up??

BC

i was at the home depot snooping around and saw that they sold pre bend 90* pieces. i got 5 of them and cut them up to follow the contour i wanted and welded em all back together. its actually 9 pieces in the passenger side conduit. it took me nearly an entire day to get it done.

in this pic you can see where i welded them and then ground the welds completely smooth.

That's really incredible, if maybe a bit obsessive-compulsive! The real conduit bender pros I worked with would have made that little bump out in less than a minute. Which is not to dis your work! We all develop different skill sets, learn from our mistakes (if we ever make any), and hopefully have some fun along the way!

BC

That's really incredible, if maybe a bit obsessive-compulsive! The real conduit bender pros I worked with would have made that little bump out in less than a minute. Which is not to dis your work! We all develop different skill sets, learn from our mistakes (if we ever make any), and hopefully have some fun along the way!

BC

i did play with the idea of bending the conduit. i even took it to a local HVAC shop. the pics are a bit deceiving. that "hump is only 6" long for end to end. it would be really hard to get that many bends in such a short distance. I do enjoy the "tinkering" it is time consuming but i have more time then i do money.

Yeah, I like tinkering too, and for the same reason. It's such a rush to tinker my way to a good solid workable solution, and you have...

BC

ok guys. here it is all done. i am still deciding what i want to do for wire loom. all the wires in the trunk will be covered up when i get my trunk mat installed. and of coarse the wires on interior floor pan will be covered with carpet and kickpanels.

this is the plate i made to cover the console shifter floor boot. the wires coming up thru are from the electronic speed sensor.

and here is a couple of my favorite pics. Having the engine bay clean of almost all wires to me was totally worth it all.

and I love how the dash turned out. going to be ripping it all back out soon and installing a piece of real carbon fiber instead of the sticker that is on it now.

Your work came out fantastic. Probably one of the cleanest rewiring of these cars that I have seen anywhere! Even Abodyjoe's did not come out as clean as yours....... haha, I am 100% being serious though! This is the kind of job you get when it is your own car and you care how it looks as well as how good it works! If you would have paid someone or let someone else do it..... NO WAY would it have came out like this.

Again very nice job and attention to details! :prayer:

thanks bro. i take alot of pride in that job. it was something that i 100% thought i couldnt do. I challenged myself and i'll be damned if i didnt get it done. somehow i fucked up the wiring on the fan controller. it wont turn the fans on and the manual override switch only kicks the fan on for a few seconds then it stops. i think the controller is junk. i am gonna call them on monday.

oh and another thing.

A-bodyjoe said that i would spend hundreds of dollars on terminals fittings for this job and i just thought he was blowing smoke............

I have reciepts for 396.28 worth of fittings to do this job. that and i used over 600 zip ties. lol

thanks bro. i take alot of pride in that job. it was something that i 100% thought i couldnt do. I challenged myself and i'll be damned if i didnt get it done. somehow i fucked up the wiring on the fan controller. it wont turn the fans on and the manual override switch only kicks the fan on for a few seconds then it stops. i think the controller is junk. i am gonna call them on monday.

Yes I remember in the beginning you thought you couldn't do it. I knew you could though because of the quality of work that you had already done to that car!! Yeah that controller is an easy fix though! Call them up and ride their *** to get you the new one! :argue:

-
Back