Painless wire harness install (MORE PROGRESS)

-
i put a red brake indicator light on my dash even though i dont really need it .also the headlight switch i am using lets u eliminate the dimmer switch which i thought was nice

Attachments

• 100_2350.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 472
Thanks for the response. Your dash looks great. I used the switch I have because it uses a nice plug and kept the wiring clean. I really like the clean look of the dash and think I'm gonna have to put the dummy light in and the high beam indicator. I like the semitrical look of both sides being even.

well this weekend i installed my new electronic speedo. and the sending unit on the transmission. it was a very simple install and seems to be working very smoothly. I still have to get it out on the road and get it calibrated but during the little test i did it works great and is very smooth. here is a little video of it in action.

[ame=http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo147/johnnydart_photo/DSCN0376_zps60416dee.mp4]
th_DSCN0376_zps60416dee.jpg
[/ame]

I have all the wiring done now from the dash back. I just need to wire the headlights and front park/turn signal lights. I am in the process of running a conduit from the firewall to the core support on the inside of the driver side fender. here are some progress pictures.

the flange at the firewall side has a stud the bolts it to the firewall.

I had to cut and weld the conduit to go around the shock tower. I thought about drilling the mount out and going thru it but i didnt want to mess with a structural piece.

got it in primer now and will be painting it with the same under coating as the inner fender and then bolt it back in. should blend in nicely.

Some real work there!!! I'm too old and crabby to do that kinda stuff, plus, no real skill, LOL

I like the progress. I keep tabs on this thread to get idea for my harness install. Yours looks real clean. As far as the light, I like the under the dash idea, to keep it clean. But, a 2nd light is cool idea too, maybe a small shift light... Mine is intragated into the speedo, so Im no help with other ideas.

I like the progress. I keep tabs on this thread to get idea for my harness install. Yours looks real clean. As far as the light, I like the under the dash idea, to keep it clean. But, a 2nd light is cool idea too, maybe a small shift light... Mine is intragated into the speedo, so Im no help with other ideas.

thanks for the kind words joeboy. I have my tach up on a mount on the dash that i made. It has a built in shift light also. I think I am going to mount the high beam indicator light down low on the bottom lip of the dash like i mentioned. I like the clean no frills look of the dash as is and a dummy light in the dash just to make it look even will bug me when someone asks "whats those lights for?" lol.

I would have mounted the conduit on the inner frame rail if i had room to work in there. like if the engine was out. but its so cramped in there that i had no way to attach it if i went that route. cant get a drill in there to drill mounting holes or anything. i will remember that if i ever do this again.

Some real work there!!! I'm too old and crabby to do that kinda stuff, plus, no real skill, LOL

67273, you have some of best electrical advise on FABO... If that isnt a skill, Im screwed with my abilities!

Joe

67273, you have some of best electrical advise on FABO... If that isnt a skill, Im screwed with my abilities!

Joe

I second that. He has talked me off the ledge more than once. He has provided more tech advise than the company I bought the harness from. great guy and will stick with you until you understand what he is trying to explain.

Nice work on this. I ended up doing a full front to rear Pain(in the a$$)less wiring harness. Not the easiest of jobs but well worth it after you get it all back in and running. Now all my lights are brighter and everything works.:thumleft:

in the end i think it was a very wise decision to rewire the car. I have seen a brand new restored car (63 bettle) burn to the ground. was all done up. pretty resto but he used the old wire harness and it set the car on fire. that and i challenged myself and learned as i went. i have taken alot of pride in doing the job myself.

last night i got the conduit installed after the paint had dried. It is coated with the same under coating as the inner fender. here it is installed and the wires ran thru it.

I installed a oversized rubber grommet in the hole. when i tightened down the mount it smushed it in tight and closed up the hole tight around the wires.

here is the conduit installed on the inner fender.

That looks awesome dude! I wish my brother would swing down through Sea-Tac area from Lake Stevens for car shows and get some inspiration to go work on his '72 Scamp...

thanks man. I can actually say that the wiring is 100% done. This weekend I got the front lights all wired up. Everything works. there were no blown fuses or fires. I would say that the install was relatively "painless". It was actually a pretty easy process. you just have to take your time.

Sweet! Glad to see you got the wiring all done! So the car is 100% ready to hit the streets now?

I have been terrorizing the neighbor hood. I have a hansel and grettle trail of tire marks (pretty impressive i might add) all the way to my house.

The car is technically legal for road use now. i got it licenced, insured and got the lights all working. I just dont have any glass in the car yet. I got a sweet set of safety glasses though. in the next couple months i will get the glass put in and then its off to the races.

I have been terrorizing the neighbor hood. I have a hansel and grettle trail of tire marks (pretty impressive i might add) all the way to my house.

The car is technically legal for road use now. i got it licenced, insured and got the lights all working. I just dont have any glass in the car yet. I got a sweet set of safety glasses though. in the next couple months i will get the glass put in and then its off to the races.

Cool..... I am happy for you. A good set of glasses goes a long way. I used glasses in my Sand Car for years. As long as I was out front they worked great!

i live about 1/2 mile from a gas station that is across the street from a chevy dealership. everytime i go get gas everyone on the lot stops what they are doing and watches me leave. I never let them down. lol.

well the final step to the wiring is the duel fan controller module. i have not yet had the cooling system up and running. my driving adventures have been temp. limited. it will stay plenty cool so long as you kept it moving. here are some progress pics of the fan controller install.

decided to mount the controller in the bottom front side of the inner fender.

had to make an aluminum block to allow room for me to hide the wires and get them thru the inner fender to my conduit.

had to scrape all the under coating off the inner fender in order to have a surface to contour the conduit to.

then built the conduit

then i had to take it all back off and prep the inner fender for under coating. used POR15 after i got the inner fender smoothed out and all cleaned up.

when i get home tonight i should be able to spray the under coating. will post pics when i get that done.

That is some nice work and a lot of it too! :glasses7:

thanks bro. welding that conduit is like welding a pop can. super thin. was for sure a learning experience. wanna get good penetration because im butt welding and then finish grinding the welds but dont wanna blow thru or create slag on the inside. took me a bit of time but eventually got it figured out.

-
Back