Pam's Jamaican Blue Baby

-
Just a question--Why not use the adjustable upper control arms to get more adjustment on the front end since you took it this far??? wouldn't the extra adjustment help with steering and cornering--Steve

$$$$$

I spent enough on this supposed low buck build and this is a /sixer for my wife.
She wont drive 60 through a hair pin turn so I don't need to spend more money on unneeded parts.

All new bushings, ball joints and other front end parts including drop spindles and larger torsion bars will keep it tight enough for us.

This is a cruiser not a racer....hope this answers your ?

Take care...

just found this thread, very nice work, I want to do something along the same lines with a slant 6 for a daily driver.

Thanks.

Were moving along at a good pace now and tonight it may hit the ground as my wheels/tires are scheduled to show up today. :blob:

Some boring pics for the record.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_4978.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 568
  • 100_5003.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 566
  • 100_5010.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 561
  • 100_5008.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 574
  • 100_5006.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 556
Hot damn....look who showed up for lunch.

Tonight I'm going to have to hang one to see what they look like.

Now the hard part is going to be repainting the centers. I'm real nervous about sanding a brand new set of wheels but the colors have to match so....keep posted.

I'm already sweating bullets.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_5012.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 568
  • 100_5014.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 576
Gas tank got installed yesterday...then un installed. Forgot the fill tube goes in first. Whooops. Oh well. Managed not to scratch the tank but the fill tube looks abused now. May have to repaint that in trunk spatter color to match it up now.

Did some detailing of the gas cap to outline the dark argent. Turned out nice on the third try. Details, details.....wish I wasn't so ADD some times. :D

So some pics of the latest....enjoy.

In one week I will be down at my buddies shop installing the frame rail connectors. I put it off forever and he has a drive on lift that will greatly help me. I wired his shop as a barter deal so he's giving me a hand and a lift for a week in return.

I have 6 days to paint my wheels so I gotta get taping.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_5023.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 571
  • 100_5025.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 552
  • 100_5017.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 552
Busy busy...one thing a day baby.

Here we are.

Wheels got taped and painted.
Torsion bars installed.
Wheels mounted and car dropped back on the ground where it belongs.

Started the sound proofing today and trying to keep up the pace.

Were going to do the frame rail connector install next week so stay tuned.

Enjoy the pics.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_5034.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 551
  • 100_5043.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 547
  • 100_5044.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 530
Looks great. Love that Jamaica Blue. Not the same ol same ol B5 Blue

Nice job on the wheels...well the whole car for that matter, but that had to make you a litttle nervous painting a brand new set of wheels.

Nervous does not describe the feeling.

I could not just put them on with the stock finish....clash clash clash so I was sad and in a bind.

Then it got worse.

Remorse once I sanded them.
Regret once I started taping them.
Panic once I started painting them in my dimly lit paint booth...errrr

But the end result was being overjoyed at the result. They look awesome and are a perfect match to the rest of the painted trim parts.

Lucky me got away with it again.

Mop

Man I am seriously hooked on this thread. I feel like we are on the same lines. Keep up the good work and don't get in a hurry, it will come together. It looks fantastic,
Martin

No hurry and no worries.

Been at it for over three years and it's going back together right. My pace has slowed a bit but with the holidays and all it's no wonder. I just got back into it seriously and am in the process of wiring the car. Should say re-wiring. My plan is to hide as much of the wiring as possible so I have been extending wires on the original harness so I can re route them. I'm almost done...just waiting on some split wire loom to finish up.

Made a cover for the ugly bulkhead connection area to hide all the connectors.
Works like a charm. I'm real close to installing the dash gauges and completing the wiring then were going to the shop to get the frame rails connectors installed.

I k now I have been talking about doing that for months....I swear I'm gonna get that done before spring.

Some pics to enjoy.

Peace...

Mop

Attachments

• 100_5085.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 451
  • 100_5084.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 478
  • 100_5083.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 498
  • 100_5082.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 473
8 pages of great work and dedication!! Very very nice. Saved yer pics on the grills as a reference for if/when I ever get to mine. Looking forward to more pics/progress.

I'm close to installing the gauge cluster back in the dash but I wanted to still be able to use my ammeter gauge. Since I am upgrading to a 75 amp alternator I decided to ditch the ammeter and do the low buck conversion to a voltmeter.

Picked up a cheap Sunpro gauge and dismantled it then took the guts and swapped them with the ammeter guts. I keep the ammeter gauge face but now its a voltmeter.

I know that it does not show voltage but I know where the pointer should be when the battery is fully charged. I tested before installing and it works like a charm.

Supposed to get the rest of my wire loom this week so hopefully I will have the electrical finished this weekend. Stay tuned....

Pics for your enjoyment.

Here is the thread to the conversion fyi.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=119480

Attachments

• 100_5089.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 432
  • 100_5091.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 435
  • 100_5092.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 411
  • 100_5095.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 443
Well the wire loom took 10 days to get here so not much progress that is visible.

I went ahead and lengthened some of my wiring in the engine compartment since I rerouted it. Finished up my bulkhead cover and test fit it with all the connectors in place. Fit like a glove so back to final paint for it.

Battery box got installed and today I am going to install the gauge cluster and test the electrical system.
I hid the electronic ignition, starter relay and ballast resistor under the battery tray to keep the firewall as clean as possible.

It's finally warming up so I feel like working more.

Still have not welded in the frame rail connectors....I keep swearing that's gonna happen next but.................the snow is finally melting so I can get my trailer out and drag this thing to my buddies shop.

Got my headers, starter and alternator coming so engine is next.

Enjoy

Attachments

• 100_5096.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 410
  • 100_5098.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 399
Does the sound proofing affect the fitment of the heater box? Did you trim the material around the mounting holes so the spacers touch the firewall? Did you still install the stock firewall insulation as well as the upper dash insulation?

Nice project! Keep the pictures coming.

Yes the heater box fits fine and no I did not cut any of the hush mat. Bolted right up to it. Will not need anything else as far as soundproofing or insulation but there is no reason you couldn't add that.

Thanks for the kudos by the way.

Last nights work...installed the gauge cluster and hooked it all up.

Temp'd the battery and checked all the functions on the dash and all work! :cheers: Got the carpet in the car so it relaxes and conforms. I'll get to that later.

I'm going to see about installing the windshield next then on to the frame rail connectors.......i swear

I ordered some goodies for the motor so that's right around the corner.

Stay tuned.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_5099.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 335
Been working on details again.

Got some goodies for the motor so I switched it up and started back on that.

Coil installed, oil filter, alt bracket....etc. Got the headers in and they look good....very long. Hooker super comp...i think. Starter, alternator and dizzy so I have everything to install the motor now.

Painted the transmission and got my supposedly good radiator repaired. Glad I got that checked cause it was f'd.

Finally got a set appointment at my buddies shop to do the frame rail connectors. Next Friday. Weather pending.

Got the glove box liner so I installed that and the glove box door last night.

After searching for something cool for the air cleaner I decided to use what I have so modification from single barrel to 4 barrel using the old air cleaner ensued. I'm gonna chrome the lid.

Some pics for your enjoyment.

Tonight is sending unit and start on installing the side glass.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_5101.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 296
  • 100_5109.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 297
  • 100_5110.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 288
  • 100_5111.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 302
What paint did you use on the gas tank? I'm usually not a fan of painted tanks but yours looks really good.

Paint was VHT Epoxy satin black. I normally use eastwood chassis black or that rust/frame paint they carry.....same stuff basically.

Primer was eastwood etch primer. I believe it looks a lot better blacked out then silver since you see then hanging down from behind. Gotta scuff up those new tanks really good since they are so smooth.

Thanks for the kudos Ben....I wuz drinkin last night....so nothing got done.

Go figure.

Today I'm on the wing windows...I tore that whole assembly apart including separating the large chrome frame from the wing window frame/channel....gotta epoxy it back together since its originally 3 hammered over pins that holds them. The pin gets ruined when you take them apart but epoxy fixes that problem. The reason I tore them apart was so I could get the stainless on the back of the frame polished out and replace the one side that was dented.

Pics later..

Mop

-
Back