Parts! Bend over AND smile! short rant!

-
Mopar parts books, ebay search including description, and an old napa interchange book are definitely the way to go. A lot of ebay sellers have no clue what they have or what car it goes to.

I know some guys seethe at the idea of buying a 20 year old fuel pump, but when I can get a aftermarket made in USA pump shipped to my door for less than $18 I'll take that deal.

The reality is a lot of these cars are not daily drivers. I can wait 3 weeks or even all winter to find a part cheaper.

For the big stuff I'll negotiate and then drive out to get it.

I am not sure we are really in a state of inflation that sjust what they are telling us, some things are priced fair like tools. I bought a craftsman tape measure I think it was 12 dollars at Lowes. Thats not that bad now I suspect they arent selling like hot cakes as noone is really working these days but...if we were truly in a state of inflation that tape would be $25. :) I think they are recouping money lost from C 19 inflation is the excuse they are telling everybody.
The cost of "tape measurers" is not part of what figures into the
consumer price index"!! One the other hand "they" the gov ment figues in the cost of a home and a car into that index and we don't buy those "very day"> "they" want inflation to appear to be less than it is. Inflation is real, just look at what you buy each day, as in food, gas, utilities, etc.

The cost of "tape measurers" is not part of what figures into the
consumer price index"!! One the other hand "they" the gov ment figues in the cost of a home and a car into that index and we don't buy those "very day"> "they" want inflation to appear to be less than it is. Inflation is real, just look at what you buy each day, as in food, gas, utilities, etc.
Im thinking by definition inflation means teh value of a dollar goes down so it would effect everything Car companies souldnt be touting record profits if we are truly in inflation they shouldhave the same profit as usual. I know Im thinking in terms of perfect science I just think the govt bullshits people and people beleive it. And yes teh cpst of everything should factor in tey are gouging teh things that evryone buys gas, food utilities etc. its like an ignorant tax from the greedy to the poor. but wouldnt call it inflation if it is ists purposely created to keep people broke but hey I may be wrong Ive only lived trhough it twice now as an adult.

The auto parts stores dont get my business anymore. I can understand if their prices were a little higher but they literally mark stuff up 500%. They are going to run themselves out of business.
I like rock auto but hate the algorithim the website uses to maximize the shipping cost. Its so obvious what they are doing but what can you do about it. At the end of the day its still half the cost of the parts store and your more likely to get the correct parts the first time.

The auto parts stores dont get my business anymore. I can understand if their prices were a little higher but they literally mark stuff up 500%. They are going to run themselves out of business.
I like rock auto but hate the algorithim the website uses to maximize the shipping cost. Its so obvious what they are doing but what can you do about it. At the end of the day its still half the cost of the parts store and your more likely to get the correct parts the first time.
A new Auto Zone near me was just built. 2 million dollars. Got to pay for that somehow.

Rock is good for some stuff but mostly Ive found it costs about the same as a parts store. The thing I like is I can look up the parts and choose what I want etc.

Auto zone etc. you go in buy a can of rattle paint maybe some zerk fittings and some plastic clips and its $40 and your like "what did I buy...?" :)

I recently bought 2 carb reduild kits one for a BBd, and one for a Thermoquad...they cost about what they did 25 years ago so it isnt that bad on some things. This is why I dont beleive "Inflation" or it isnt the textbook definition its inflation on the things all people are spending money on .

I have a trade account with a local parts store that gives me a discount so I used to shop there exclusively. One day I needed a part immediately and it was over night for these guys. I tried a different store and they had it in stock.....Off the street, it was 30% less in price (exact part #). I questioned my store about it and said that they could match the price......Told me that I had to shop around. Guess what, I only use these guys now when absolutely necessary. I told them that they were losing about 3 grand a year, and they didn't seem to care.

... I told them that they were losing about 3 grand a year, and they didn't seem to care.
Every time I call or go into a store to try and buy something and they say 'none in Canada it will be 8 weeks' (like the Felpro oil pan gasket I wanted last week) I just say thats ok I'll buy it online. Typically the guy on the counter says 'yeah good idea'.

Every time I call or go into a store to try and buy something and they say 'none in Canada it will be 8 weeks' (like the Felpro oil pan gasket I wanted last week) I just say thats ok I'll buy it online. Typically the guy on the counter says 'yeah good idea'.
No one stocks anything any more. "we can get it overnight" But I need it now! I always check stock in the local stores before I leave the driveway.

I go to the same local parts house because time is money to me and most of the time what I am looking for is in stock. Sure I know I may pay a little more but most of the guys on the counter have been there 15-20 years and everyone knows me by name. It is unbelievable what they have in stock. I have posted this before but when I was restoring my 67 Dart GT I went in to see if they could order me a steering box. First question was 6 cylinder or V8. I didn't know there was a difference but Williard said V8 had a closer ratio. Turns out they had both in stock for same money, Joe

I have the trans out and apart for my other Durango. and I went on a "shopping spree" on Feebay this past weekend for parts to fix it. Besides no place closer than 1-1/2 hours to buy them around here, none of the local parts idiots would have a clue where to get anything more than a filter and gasket, maybe a solenoid or some such but certainly not a master overhaul kit or converter. I bought alot of Sonnax parts for it, upgrade stuff..... still gonna have to make that hour and 1/2 drive after next payday, for that rebuild kit and converter......

For my hobby cars, I have enough parts here to rebuild or replace just about anything. We’ve been working on my sons truck, I don’t think he’s spent more than $100 on the entire project, but we’ve replaced about $1000 worth of stuff. My problem is time, if something breaks down on our dailies, I need to fix them right away, so I buy from the local O’Reillys. I get a discount there, and 3 of the employees are local Mopar friends. I don’t mind if it costs more, and I’ve never been on Amazon before, and Rock Auto only once, and of course I got the wrong part. That set the project back almost a week. I don’t have credit cards, and only use my debit card for emergencies, but that’s just the way I roll, because I’m old I guess.

... My problem is time, if something breaks down on our dailies, I need to fix them right away, so I buy from the local O’Reillys. ...
That is the problem for a lot of people. Parts can be bought much cheaper if you wait but if you need them right now then you are paying full bore retail especially if the repair shop is supplying them. I suppose its the premium for using locally stocked parts that around here, come out of a few large warehouses.

I gave up last summer finding a decent Tx. 70-2 Duster and the newer ones were stupid priced junk unless I wanted to drive 2 days. So I picked up a 66 Fairlane project. Now I go out to the parts shed to find some good parts I will probably never need to sell for a few bucks to help the cause. It is amazing all the Mopar "stuff" in that shed that is new. How many alternators, disributors, ballast resistors can a guy need!? So I find some stuff I can use, after market gauges, tachs, plug wires, tubes of silicone......pitiful!!!

I always cross shop
Rock Auto (hate their shipping policy... a charge from each warehouse),
Amazon (sometimes higher price but "free" shipping with prime),
Local Parts store (almost always the most expensive.)

The last few times I've purchased parts, Amazon was only a few cents cheaper. It's much less hassle to return something to Amazon than RA. For that matter, I'll sometimes pay a bit more and buy on amazon.
J, that is the reason I try to buy multiple items from the same warehouse at the same time. Instead of one oil filter, I may buy 2 or three.

OK so we have had pretty bad inflation now for the last 2 1/2 years, but everytime I have to buy anything at the friggin "auto part store" now days, no matter whose name is on the door, IT is Rape! Crazy!
Yea I buy ALL I can at Rock or anywhere else but he local parts emporium!
Example: OK so its a Ford part, but does not matter what make. Example: 66 Ford starter relay. Rock is $8 plus some shipping.... the "other guy" is $30 local pickup. same part, same brand. ITS NUTS!!!!!!!!! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :elmer:
I used to work at Midus We bought parts from the parts stores. Even tho they were already marked up we’d mark it up again n add it to the customers bill. Although we’d already giving the customer a quote n we didn’t go over the quoted price of the job but it was crazy that parts are way to high priced today.
When I’m working on my 71 Duster I compare prices on Google before I buy
Happy Moparing

Rock Auto won't honor manufacturers warranty and the manufacturers won't honor their own warranty if you bought from Rock Auto. So, never again.

I always cross shop
Rock Auto (hate their shipping policy... a charge from each warehouse),
Amazon (sometimes higher price but "free" shipping with prime),
Local Parts store (almost always the most expensive.)

The last few times I've purchased parts, Amazon was only a few cents cheaper. It's much less hassle to return something to Amazon than RA. For that matter, I'll sometimes pay a bit more and buy on amazon.
When dealing with Rock Auto and others, check the shipping locations. You should be able to look and make sure they come from the same warehouse. They make a killing on that shipping from different warehouses scam.

I generally hate most everything about Amaon/

I agree, Rocks many warehouses sucks, but like a guy showed me, hit every brand of that part and after you have shopped pick the best shipping. Never order just one part either.

Mark up at O Reilly or any other chain is usually 2 to 4 time more than at Rock and Rock no doubts makes profit $$$$.
For years in Canada we have been bent over a dry rose bush purchasing parts. When we can order from the US, pay exchange, duty and shipping and still be cheaper. Have to shop around though. Bringing in a few items is expensive. This is where the local stores on some things are a bargain.
Take buying CarTech books, the shipping kills us. And we pay shipping. The performance store has a number of the books with cost pretty much with just the exchange rate. Problem there is they only get books in a couple of times a year and they may not get what you are looking for. The last one I brought in was Billy Godbold's Cams and Valvetrains book. Over $100 CDN landed in my PO Box.

And....last week I needed a gal. of ATF.... aything.... O Really? was $23 and Wally was a little cheaper by maybe $2. An oil filer for that common SB was $13 at O Really and same brand same filter was $4.75 at Wally. Don't know whether to laugh or cry!!!! :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: :elmer: :rofl: :realcrazy:
Wally World. Wally World. SCHWIINNNG!

My problem is time, if something breaks down on our dailies, I need to fix them right away, so I buy from the local O’Reillys.

That is the problem for a lot of people. Parts can be bought much cheaper if you wait but if you need them right now then you are paying full bore retail especially if the repair shop is supplying them. I suppose its the premium for using locally stocked parts that around here, come out of a few large warehouses.
I agree. It's the daily drivers that get ya. I found, through trial and error, that rock auto has a warehouse stocked with parts near me for one of my vehicles. I order from there and get the parts next day at ground prices.

I use their warehouse feature against them, always putting parts that have come from that warehouse in my cart and then adding other parts I need to my cart, then deleting the stuff I don't need. If there was a way to drive to their warehouse and pick up my order, then I'd do that instead.

It also helps having more than one car that I'd consider a daily driver.

Fuel, wages and monopoly buy outs. In the end, the government thinks that we have too much, time to trim us down. Tax and spend into prosperity. Equity.
For me, but not for thee.
4 pages and no real discussion about politics and the government. Let's keep it that way. Thanks

Sorry Mike, but if you don't think that politics has something to do with it, you as a moderator ( your politics) should understand that. Every word spoken here from page one, without saying it by word, is politics. Tip toeing on the fence is hiding. I will just move on, thanks guys!

-
Back