Parts cleaning tank upgrades

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well it’s not really racing but it’s for the race shop. My Tractor Supply parts cleaning tank started giving me issues around three years ago so I figured it was time for some upgrades. I had saved a post from a guy on Yellowbullet that bought a “Little Giant” pump and added an oil filter to his tank to clean the parts cleaner. I bought a pump off eBay but in the mean time fixed mine so it was working better. Well this week I ordered everything else and said nows the time to fix it right. Ordered a new brush from Amazon, fittings from my local hardware store and Summit, and one quick trip to the local electrical store. Finished it up today and it works great. I even put a 3/8 ball valve on it so I could restrict the fluid flow if needed and to stops dripping when I change the filter. If you guys are interested let me know if you need any part numbers or the link I have saved.
C9BCD3FF-A4CF-4152-AC0E-A7D2E13602FD.jpeg
B7FA2923-6478-4D3D-BCDB-9BBC58320454.jpeg
BFF6E995-674E-4E22-AD38-367725EFB1F0.jpeg
DB2FF0DC-2ADF-44BB-A049-E6D754D0353F.jpeg
6438C60E-2A2E-472C-9B00-CD9E378D4660.jpeg

I want to add a timer to the system so if I want to run the pump to cycle clean the fluid I can. I already had the timer but have to pick up an electrical box for it next time I’m in town.
1392ECCD-FAD4-44BE-A400-DE14F61E7AA2.jpeg

I pour about a gal of water in mine, it sits in the bottom, (not enuff for the pump to pick up) - the solids settle, and get trapped into it, - helping keep the solvent clean.
It also reduces the total amount of "solvent" required

Last edited:
I pour about a gal of water in mine, it sits in the bottom, (not enuff for the pump to pick up) - the solids settle, and get trapped into it, helping keep the solvent clean.

I use Kerosene in my tank and I burn with kerosene quite often so now I use the dirty stuff for burning and dump the good stuff in the tank. Smells a lot better than the Tractor Supply cleaner I was using too

I pour about a gal of water in mine, it sits in the bottom, (not enuff for the pump to pick up) - the solids settle, and get trapped into it, - helping keep the solvent clean.

Don't you have a lot of rust in the bottom of the tank from the water? One of my friends 'inadvertently' got water in his parts cleaner and after the tank floor developed a pinhole, he drained it and the tank floor looked like the hold of the Titanic.

I have a Little Giant sump pump. Maybe a great parts washer candidate, but it puts out a huge amount of volume: 1/2 hose output will squirt 8 feet in the air and run a sprinkler no problem would probably need a bypass valve at about 80 percent open.

I have a Little Giant sump pump. Maybe a great parts washer candidate, but it puts out a huge amount of volume: 1/2 hose output will squirt 8 feet in the air and run a sprinkler no problem would probably need a bypass valve at about 80 percent open.

lol. This isn’t a sump pump.

Good idea. What do you think about a water based cleaner?

not for me. I hear it has to be heated to work right and I think I read this pump doesn’t take kindly to it if it gets to hot. My biggest thing is washing ported heads and the transmission, WD40 concoction I mix off. Lots of aluminum slivers.

Last edited:
Thanks, mine looks just like yours and my pump keeps cutting out.

The pump really doesn't have a great way to mount it but if you look at mine you can see a piece of aluminum angle i drilled to hold the pump in place. between that and the plastic half inch conduit that i put through the box to go an extra step in waterproofing the pump. Then I sealed everything up with silicon and left it dry over night.

Don't you have a lot of rust in the bottom of the tank from the water? One of my friends 'inadvertently' got water in his parts cleaner and after the tank floor developed a pinhole, he drained it and the tank floor looked like the hold of the Titanic.
I have a 25 or 30 gallon drum inside of the larger drum that my washer sets on. That’s in case the smaller tank develops a leak due to rusting. I ran it for 5 years with water and solvent without any rusting.

Nice upgrade. I use water based in mine works ok but I put a heater element in man what a difference iit made. Not good for flammable though. Basically a heating element and thermostat from a water heater. I definitely need a filter setup like you did.

-
Back