Passon Performance 5-speed

-
Just an update on the production of the 5 speed box: I had a message on my phone yesterday evening from Passon Performance - asking me to call them back and speak with Jamie if I was still interested in their 855 trans, so I called just a bit ago. Jamie picked up, I identified myself - gave him my name and what car it would be for. He said that they were trying to clear out the tire-kickers and figure out who really wants one of his 5 speeds. I think that on the old list I was around #376 or so. He said to call back in a month and they would have a pretty good idea of where things stand. That's it for now. I'll post around this time next month.

Was any money required to be on the list?

Sucks they are still delayed this far. Hope it's all you expected once ya get it.

I talked to Jamie. They are getting the trannies out. The problem is he is so busy with all his other work that its hard to do both. Not to many people out there that know how to rebuild these things, so its hard to find good help.

I know 3 guys with the new Passon A855 5 speed.....one of those was not even on a list and he has two of them.

I just spoke to him as well to stay on the list. He sounds pretty run down. I know big companies that have put man hours on building a transmission I can only imagine 1 man trying to spend that time and money.

Doesn't seem like a priority..
Thread will be 6 years old next month. Someone was at #376 which would be over 2 million dollars in preorders.
I know not everyone would order, but come on, when is he going to get serious about putting some product out?
With over 20k machine shops in the USA supply shouldnt be an issue..
I'm sure there are plenty of shops out there that would be happy to supply quality parts and plenty of skilled workers that would love a job putting them together.

Doesn't seem like a priority..
Thread will be 6 years old next month. Someone was at #376 which would be over 2 million dollars in preorders.
I know not everyone would order, but come on, when is he going to get serious about putting some product out?
With over 20k machine shops in the USA supply shouldnt be an issue..
I'm sure there are plenty of shops out there that would be happy to supply quality parts and plenty of skilled workers that would love a job putting them together.
All I have to say try. I have and if you're not ordering 5000 to 10,000 units (pieces) at a time you are a minnow in the ocean. How many pieces in a trans? You get but on the back burner.

Buy others. I talked to a guy in Florida that's related to McLeod and he's tryin to work out the torque problem of the tranny. I saw one at the sema and it looks nothing like a t5. Btw, the guy that took it over is a big mopar guy. Sounds like Jamie's in for compettition. Dunno...

I'm inclined to support him - small shop and all. If not, innovative guys like him won't be around. We'll see how things pan out - I'd like to think that my wait isn't another 3 - 4 years off!

Last edited:
No money needed to get on the list.

Ahhh ok. I'll bet there are a ton of tire kickers on that list that have no intention on buying one. Then a lot that couldn't wait. So I guess people may be moving up the list faster then they think.

What Jamie is trying to do is get all his investment back on the first few transmissions. That's why he's charging so damn much. It's not what the market will bare, just what he needs to recoup. If he was smart, he would spread that cost over hundreds of transmissions, then he'd sell more cause the cost is lower and make his investment back by shear volume. Too bad he can't get more transmissions out faster, it's a nice piece!

I needed 2 A833's rebuilt and I called Jamie. He quoted me a price for both that I was happy with. I also said that when he announced he was making the 5 speed that i sent him a PM on moparts to put me on the list. He asked me to hold on and I could hear him typing. A few seconds later he says, "yep, your number 7 and I have sold way more that 7!" Do you still want one? Its sitting in my hot rod shop as we speak.

I do, but at $5k plus, forget it.

Drop in, five speeds, od, Mopar lineage.

If I can EVER afford it, I'll buy the Passon, nothing else is even an option. . Jamie built the A-833 in my dart now, and as an engineer that's trying to bring a new machine to market, I feel his pain.

He's being up front, and he's doing his best. That trans will outlast my car, and that's all I ask. It already does everything else.

Just heard back from Jamie, I'm 107 on the list (from 376). I inquired on production volume but haven't heard on how many they produce monthly.

Just heard back from Jamie, I'm 107 on the list (from 376). I inquired on production volume but haven't heard on how many they produce monthly.
I think I`d go w/ taller tires and forget it .

I can attest to Jamie quality product. Lead times for quality work in north America is staggering.
3 to 6 weeks is the norm for most machine shops. Now spread that out for quantity and it grows longer.
Quality will be another issue. Some machine shops cut corners to save dollars and those corners affect quality. Now spread that out for scrap parts that have to be rejected and replaced. Add more time.
A single man plugging away at tranny rebuilds plus his overdrive and his five speed. People get worn out and need time to relax. Add time.
Jamie shows up at mopar events to promote his company. Add time.
He likely has family as well and NEEDS time with them. Add time.
Then the persistent phone calls (I was one) add time.
Plus he reaches out to customers calling everyone on the list which is customer service. Add three times.

He is doing his best and doing a damn fine job. If everyone wanted an 855 he could sell out to China and ship quantity but lack quality. So the complaints from everyone are not needed. It goes back to the walmart mentality. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

I would love to upgrade to an 855 but I don't have that extra money floating around.

-
Back