passon transmissions

-
There's a couple of current threads in the 4-Speed Transmissions forum...

Most that want to go with the passon want to because there is no cutting involved.

Yes the trans is out but there is a pretty long waiting list for them.

Most that want to go with the passon want to because there is no cutting involved.

Yes the trans is out but there is a pretty long waiting list for them.

I know and you make a good point, but those transmissions I linked to have been out YEARS......if not a couple of DECADES, yet people still cry about not having 5 and 6 speed choices for Mopars. Choices are out there and have been if you are serious enough to get out the sawzall. Chevy and Ford guys have been doing it literally for decades. It's really a small modification to make for such a drastic improvement.

You know as well as I do. Mopar guys more often then not get their panties in a bunch over having to take a saw to their car.

Rob, have you installed one of these Richmond transmissions?
The Summit descriptions lack diamentions and if there is a need to modify or build your own transmission cross member. Is there a need to shorten the current driveshaft? Does the transmission fit in without cutting up the floorboards?

I knew these have been out for a long time now but I have never seen or heard of anyone making use of one. There price tag is hefty enough for me not to purchase on a lot of unknown issues. Anyone here done one?

At least Jamie is trying to out out a product. It is easy to throw stones at what seems to some as an say thing to do. Design, Develop, produce an item (and price it right) with your own money for a small group of people running old cars from yesteryear and the number 3 in the market. Not like a Chevy where you can almost just make a part just to make it and sell it because there is a market to support it.

Yea Joe, you ain't kidding. Heaven forbid there is a need to drill a hole in the fire wall! It is like the world ends!

There is almost no infomation on these transmissions. What's needed, has to be done to install one. What exactly am I in for should I or someone else take the leap?

I know and you make a good point, but those transmissions I linked to have been out YEARS......if not a couple of DECADES, yet people still cry about not having 5 and 6 speed choices for Mopars. Choices are out there and have been if you are serious enough to get out the sawzall. Chevy and Ford guys have been doing it literally for decades. It's really a small modification to make for such a drastic improvement.

I agree to a point. Ford and Chevy guys don't have a torsion bar cross members to deal with. So unless you have a coil over setup, you now have to cut part of that away, then support it somehow, so now you need to remove you seats, carpet and hack and weld on your car. Now this is no big deal to me and others it just takes time and more money and most people don't have the skills let alone the tools to do so.

The two cheapest option on that list of Richmond's still have a 1:1 5th gear, so now you need to replace your 4:10 or 3:91's with 2.92:1 or the likes or they would be pointless.

LOL! Unless you had a great chassis set up and really need to get the heck outta the hole quick!

I was in California last week and went to Gearvendors - very impressed and IMO for $ invested this is the way to go

Rob, have you installed one of these Richmond transmissions?
The Summit descriptions lack diamentions and if there is a need to modify or build your own transmission cross member. Is there a need to shorten the current driveshaft? Does the transmission fit in without cutting up the floorboards?

I knew these have been out for a long time now but I have never seen or heard of anyone making use of one. There price tag is hefty enough for me not to purchase on a lot of unknown issues. Anyone here done one?

At least Jamie is trying to out out a product. It is easy to throw stones at what seems to some as an say thing to do. Design, Develop, produce an item (and price it right) with your own money for a small group of people running old cars from yesteryear and the number 3 in the market. Not like a Chevy where you can almost just make a part just to make it and sell it because there is a market to support it.

Rob, we did one years ago. It was in a rail though so that is not a good comparison to what you are asking.

I'm not trying to throw stones. Really. I've talked to Jaime before. Hell of a nice guy. But all the niceness in the world doesn't get the product out. The Ford and Chevy guys have been able to have their cake and eat it too with their OD transmission choices for years.

After a while, it's easy to become tainted when you keep reading and hearing of a Mopar specific product......whether it's a widget or a transmission and it never materializes, or when it does, production is so slow that there's a never ending backorder. That's more than disheartening.

I hear Ya. Disheartening is certainly the word.
Victor heads come to mind.

I hear Ya. Disheartening is certainly the word.
Victor heads come to mind.

Yes. Along with 500 dollar aftermarket blocks, 300 dollar forged cranks and 125 dollar forged pistons. LOL

Haven't heard much about the Passon 5-speed lately, anyone know what's happening? I put my name on his list last January or February, I can't rememberer which, but I'm kinda hoping that it doesn't come around until June now. As usual, finances! In the mean time, I've given a lot of thought to the Tremec 600 5-speed. Sure there's cutting involved, (shucks, I have to replace the floor anyway) but if it does the job right and shifts right, what the heck. My main want is a greater 4-speed with an overdrive for the highway trips.

I did the tunnel modification for the tremec. Right now I only have a picture of a covered tunnel. If you want to see the bare I can post that later

Haven't heard much about the Passon 5-speed lately, anyone know what's happening? I put my name on his list last January or February, I can't rememberer which, but I'm kinda hoping that it doesn't come around until June now. As usual, finances! In the mean time, I've given a lot of thought to the Tremec 600 5-speed. Sure there's cutting involved, (shucks, I have to replace the floor anyway) but if it does the job right and shifts right, what the heck. My main want is a greater 4-speed with an overdrive for the highway trips.

Attachments

• tunnel2.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 189
i've talked to different Mopar parts suppliers and sadly we represent about 5%
of the aftermarket so new products are slow to come for us..
...as for overdrive, it is more complicated than adding a 5 speed and enjoying great performance and mileage.I know individuals who have added over drives and had their mileage go down!
Just like racing, your components must work together
your cam plays a big part and should be selected based on your cruising rpm which must be your Max lo speed torque.
good mileage requires hi compression,efficient head and combustion chambers and generally hi lift short duration cam...complicated stuff.

-
Back