Paypal

-
I refused to link my PP with eBay, just for the reasons discussed. I have it linked to a separate savings account used only for PP. I keep a few hundred bucks in the savings account, if I get hacked that's all they are getting. If I need to replenish the PP account I do it from the savings account.

The only reason I keep a PP account is because I was able to do so as a business account, avoiding the PP insistence that I give them a photo of my driver's license or my SSN. Not going to happen. If they demand this from a business account I will close it out and go back to money orders.

I refused to link my PP with eBay, just for the reasons discussed. I have it linked to a separate savings account used only for PP. I keep a few hundred bucks in the savings account, if I get hacked that's all they are getting. If I need to replenish the PP account I do it from the savings account.

The only reason I keep a PP account is because I was able to do so as a business account, avoiding the PP insistence that I give them a photo of my driver's license or my SSN. Not going to happen. If they demand this from a business account I will close it out and go back to money orders.
I did the same thing, I opened a separate bank account and only keep a few hundred dollars in there.

link paypal login to your cell phone number so you get a text whenever someone tries to access it. I have to check my phone for passcode everytime I log in. 2 part authentification. I always have my phone so Its not inconvenient. and DONT LINK YOUR PAYPAL WITH YOUR BANK ACCOUNT! Keep them seperate and dont carry a huge balance in your paypal, if you need a high dollar item, transfer money into your paypl and then zing 'em, same goes for the other way. If you get a large sum deposited, move it out fast.

I never let ebay or pay pal (or any web site) "remember" my password. Can you tell us if you had done that?? Or do you even remember?

I was Guilty(Lazy) of that and using the same few pw for everything. Since the hack I've changed all my passwords and keep a cheat sheet and enter them each time now.

I have had a paypal account since its inception and it is linked to ebay. I have an online store and a minimum of 50k goes through my PP account every year. NEVER had an issue with paypal or ebay. Only one instance where there was a dispute and they held funds for like 2 days.
I have bought a staggering amount of items from ebay over the years. I have heard many horror stories about paypal and ebay but my personal experience with both have been A+.
I used to carry 5-10k balance in paypal but now I keep it down under 1k just in case something happened. Hackers suck, its the luck of the draw if you get hit. The only thing you can really do is change your password often and use long random passwords.

link paypal login to your cell phone number so you get a text whenever someone tries to access it. I have to check my phone for passcode everytime I log in. 2 part authentification. I always have my phone so Its not inconvenient. and DONT LINK YOUR PAYPAL WITH YOUR BANK ACCOUNT! Keep them seperate and dont carry a huge balance in your paypal, if you need a high dollar item, transfer money into your paypl and then zing 'em, same goes for the other way. If you get a large sum deposited, move it out fast.

Stupid question maybe but.....
How do you transfer money into your PP acct without linking it to a bank acct?

I sent $ for an item. Got a mailed envelope within 30 days that contained a plastic collapsible container like you put tea or lemonade in and put into fridge. Filed a claim. Seller agreed to refund full amount, after receiving confirmation/tracking info. (Fair enough,right) but the return address is in Chinese! All different characters....?
WTF?

Getting real close to closing my Paypal account because they decided to get political. Trying real hard to live local these days because I’m tired of corporations weighing into politics!

In paypal you can link your paypal to your savings/checking account so when you buy something that is more than your paypal balance, it will automatically dip into your LINKED account. Thats how I got stung for $500, drained my paypal of the 180 and then dinged my savings for the other 320. Happened overnight and I didnt see it until noon the next day when I got a message from paypal saying "you paid *** $500 via paypal", wait...WHAT? I immediately logged into my paypal account and I was cleaned out. Then I looked at my bank account ans saw a -320. Bank didnt do **** as it was a "legitimate" transaction. Paypal fessed up saying I was hacked, accessed outside my IP address but paypal said it not their fault and the bank agreed. F me. And to poke the other eye, the $500 Nordstroms gift card I 'bought' was already used up, 4 hours prior to it even getting mailed to me per Nordstrom's fantastic gift card customer service (really). Even told me where it was used, Connecticut! The card was mailed from Glandale, CA. The card numbers were used electronically over the internet to buy something at a mall and then the item was picked up. Seller must have bought the cards in Glendale (again, Norsdtrom's records) at noon on a thursday at 1100 PST, the items were purchased in Connecticut 1500 east coast time, and them mailed to me with a time stamp at 1645 PST. I had this guy by the nuts with all this data in writing from Nordstroms but court fees and the time it would take me to subpoena him to small claims court in Glendale and then collections (he'd never just pay me) would have cost me the same amount. Live and learn. Hopefully my loss is everyone here's gain.

Last edited:
In Australia, if you have a problem with Paypal, it is impossible to talk to a person.
They have email & a ph #. You ring the ph# & get a series of selections/prompts & then disconnects! Too bad if those do not answer your question.

Can I ask this? How do u get ur money from ur p/p account if u don’t have a bank attached to it? I transfer money into the bank a couple of times a month. If/when my funds are low p/p transfers automatically from my bank account into p/p. Looks like I should be changing this some how. Kim

Evidently they figured it out because the problem has been corrected.

Same setup for me Kim. If I buy $100 and only have $50 in PP acct, PP asks if I want the $50 owing taken out of bank acct. I dont see a way around that?
Can I ask this? How do u get ur money from ur p/p account if u don’t have a bank attached to it? I transfer money into the bank a couple of times a month. If/when my funds are low p/p transfers automatically from my bank account into p/p. Looks like I should be changing this some how. Kim

Same setup for me Kim. If I buy $100 and only have $50 in PP acct, PP asks if I want the $50 owing taken out of bank acct. I dont see a way around that?

Tell um no and see what happens. lol

As long as the transactions go smoothly, there are no problems. However, I had a complaint with a company and went through PayPal's resolution process. I wrote out my complaint, and tried to upload two PDFs to their site. It didn't accept the files. I did it again and recorded the whole thing on my cell phone. It didn't work again. I tried calling their customer service and could not get through.

These people have ZERO customer service. They are f---ing worthless.

As long as the transactions go smoothly, there are no problems. However, I had a complaint with a company and went through PayPal's resolution process. I wrote out my complaint, and tried to upload two PDFs to their site. It didn't accept the files. I did it again and recorded the whole thing on my cell phone. It didn't work again. I tried calling their customer service and could not get through.

These people have ZERO customer service. They are f---ing worthless.
So it would seem that they don’t give a **** as long as they get their cut. With their transaction fee and currency conversion fee I get $88.00 out of $100.00. Kim

So it would seem that they don’t give a **** as long as they get their cut. With their transaction fee and currency conversion fee I get $88.00 out of $100.00. Kim

all the selling fee's,,, really makes me appreciate being able to sell and buy here at FABO.

-
Back