Pellet grill and smoker.

-
I have achieved nice results pulling brisket at 205, rather than my prior 195. Looking forward to doing one in the next few days! Seeing this post has me itching to smoke one!
I just need to be patient I guess. I’m too worried about the point being overdone so the flat is always just under cooked.

A rack of baby backs on the Pit Boss. They will be done around 6. Meaty devils. They should be tasty.

20220627_123304.jpg

Masterbuilt Gravity Series® 1050 Digital Charcoal Grill + Smoker

I got me one of these last year. Doesn't run pellets, I can use whatever wood I want, and it'll go 8-12hrs at 200-225. I've done ribs, Briskets, tri tip, fish, and then we cranked it up to 700F and did pizza too.

Works great. Temp regulation is awesome.

My only issue so far has been some of the switches. That and something with the internal temp probe. Occasionally it will slowly read lower and lower (and not turn the fan off or down as a result), but if I unplug the lid switch it's fine. It's got to be a sensor ground issue with the temp probe. Didn't ever do it until it froze outside, and mine is out in the elements all the time, so may be a moisture issue.

The 1050 is big enough I can fit more food than is needed to feed 20ppl. My first big smoke was Brisket, two tri tip, 6 racks of pork ribs, two full salmon fillets, asparagus, queso, beans, garlic, 6 stuffed bell peppers, and stuffed mushrooms too. Still held the temp just fine and was super easy to run. If you use lump Charcoal, it only needs the ash removed every 3 or 4 bags of coals. I use lots of wood chunk mixed with the Charcoal and in the ash pan for smoke flavor. It's never too much smoke either, and so far I haven't figured out a way to make acrid smoke with it.

Perhaps the only downside is if you go from 200 to 500 degrees after a long cook, you're going to get a grease fire. But so far that hasn't been too terrible either. I just close the lid and wait it out and let it burn off. Nothing has ever glowed or been damaged when it happens.

Are you still happy with this model? There was a sale at a place near me and I balked. Wanted to get it but had zero knowledge about it. Rather stay with wood and charcoal than go pellets.
Thanks

Are you still happy with this model? There was a sale at a place near me and I balked. Wanted to get it but had zero knowledge about it. Rather stay with wood and charcoal than go pellets.
Thanks

Still using it, still abusing it, still loving it.

The only gripe I've had so far is that the switches on the fire door and hopper door do get finnicky sometimes. I just ordered some replacements to have on-hand. I've never had one glitch out while it was running a long smoke, but after opening one of the doors, sometimes I need to wiggle the plunger before closing to ensure the fans run properly. I would suggest having some spares on-hand just in case. They're just two phillips screws holding them in.

I've run it with briquettes, lump, lots of wood mixed in, no wood. It works great in all cases. Briquettes make the most ash. With lump, it's best to avoid putting the dust at the bottom of the bag into the hopper - it can turn into ash flying around inside the smoker. I use wood chunk that I buy in 20 lbs bags and make sure to use it generously. Plus several good sized chunks in the ash pan to add even more smoke.

We've cooked everything from slow smoked brisket to pizza. It's worked wonderfully in every case.

Thanks much for the reply. I missed out on a 25% off sale. Maybe it will show again for the fourth

I have had a Pit Boss for 3 years and love it. It is very versatile may check here TheBarBec - Your Guide to Perfect BBQ, I chose the Pit boss because you can slide the middle plate open to cook over a direct flame which is awesome for steaks. Also use it to smoke and it works good but I added an Amaze smoke tube to add more smoke.

Another vote for Pit Boss. I will never use anything else,Joe

My dad got a smaller model Traeger last year, I'm addicted to smoking brisket now lol it's definitely a science to get it right, still haven't quite got it down. Reading about the temp control issues with the Traegers though I need to try testing it out with a separate thermometer. Based on what the readout says it stays pretty consistent (within 10-20 degrees) but I guess the issue can be somewhere in the control system?

I watched some YouTube videos on smoking meats and the best wood pellets to use btw, switched from the Traeger brand pellets to Lumberjack and definitely noticed a difference in flavor. Apparently the Traeger pellets don't use the type of wood shown on the bag, they use a blend of cheaper woods and just add oils/extracts of certain wood flavors. Lame!

A friend of mine has one of the bigger Pit Boss models and he loves it. Later on if/when I buy a newer smoker it'll likely be a Big Green Egg, everyone raves about those. But if this Traeger proves to not have temp control problems I'll keep running it as long as I can.

ALSO: have any of you tried "grilling" steaks on a pellet grill? I'm just not sure how I'd like smoke flavor in my New York Strip, I always season those just with straight kosher salt and it really brings out the natural beef flavor. Better than restaurants lol.

I like the Pit Boss FB700 and have bought 8 of them for family and friends. I use Pit Boss competition blend pellets and cook everything including steaks. I love the flavor and doesn't give me indigestion.

I like the Pit Boss FB700 and have bought 8 of them for family and friends. I use Pit Boss competition blend pellets and cook everything including steaks. I love the flavor and doesn't give me indigestion.
One of the best on the market.

Tonight I did a Chuck roast smoked like a brisket. Turned out great.

View attachment 1715973382
I did one like that also today. Along with pork belly slices and country style pork ribs for pulled pork. I do my chuck roast at 235 until it reaches 160 and then wrap in butcher paper and cook until it gets to 200-205. Then I wrap it in several beach towels to rest for 90 minutes. very tender. Always just rub on my meats, no sauce for cooking

I have a hunter friend that has a couple of wild hog pork bellies that he wants me to smoke.
I have not seen them so I have no idea on the size or fat-meat content if that would make a difference.
Any ideas on a good recipe?

Last edited:
I did one like that also today. Along with pork belly slices and country style pork ribs for pulled pork. I do my chuck roast at 235 until it reaches 160 and then wrap in butcher paper and cook until it gets to 200-205. Then I wrap it in several beach towels to rest for 90 minutes. very tender. Always just rub on my meats, no sauce for cooking

I kept mine between 250-275 for about 6 hours. Wrapped at 170 and pulled off at 195. Hour and a half rest in the cooler.

Pork loin on the Pit boss. Cut down the center. One half seasoned and braided the other cubed up for burnt ends.

IMG_20220829_152937310_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220829_144522776.jpg

Hey Unconventional -

Your "in box" is full so couldn't send you a 'conversation'.

Saw you post to the pellet grill thread and got a kick out of your 'pellets'. Then saw the pic of your grill and thought, "This guy must be in Santa Maria."
Looked back at the post and saw you are in Santa Maria!
My daughter and her boyfriend and driving through Santa Maria on Sunday of Labor Day weekend on their way to Monterey. She told me he's never had Santa Maria BBQ and asked me if they still do the bbq's out on the main street through town. I haven't been through Santa Maria for a bunch of years so I don't know.
Do they still bbq out on the main street? If they do, where's the best place for them to stop and buy some great brisket? What are typical hours?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Oh yeah, that grill looks great! Not much better than Santa Maria style brisket.

Hey Unconventional -

Your "in box" is full so couldn't send you a 'conversation'.

Saw you post to the pellet grill thread and got a kick out of your 'pellets'. Then saw the pic of your grill and thought, "This guy must be in Santa Maria."
Looked back at the post and saw you are in Santa Maria!
My daughter and her boyfriend and driving through Santa Maria on Sunday of Labor Day weekend on their way to Monterey. She told me he's never had Santa Maria BBQ and asked me if they still do the bbq's out on the main street through town. I haven't been through Santa Maria for a bunch of years so I don't know.
Do they still bbq out on the main street? If they do, where's the best place for them to stop and buy some great brisket? What are typical hours?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Oh yeah, that grill looks great! Not much better than Santa Maria style brisket.

I would think Broadway, the main drag, should have numerous fund raisers for various causes ready about lunchtime. Mostly Tri Tip or Ribs for those, cheap meat at meat market = better funds in fund raiser :lol: chickens too. Sit down places, Cool Hand Luke's Stowell and Hwy 101, McClintock's Saloon in Arroyo Grande, I don't think the Big Mclintock's in Pismo opens until 4, the view from there is amazing though. Shaw's and The Swiss both on Broadway open for dinner on Sundays. Unfortunately The Far Western in Orcutt hasn't been open on Sundays since the covid arrived. AJ Spurs and Hitchin' Post on 246 in Buellton muy bueno also, not sure of their hours. AJ's in Arroyo Grande also right off the 101.

-
Back