Pet Peaves in Mechanic's Lingo

-
I was told it was due to duration. If it had 270 duration at .o5o is was a 3/4 cam

270 @ .050 would be about 350 advertised and wouldn't run. Early cams weren't measured @ .050. 270 could be considered 3/4 race and 300 duration would be considered full race. That's just the way it was back then. tmm

"She's got pop-up pistons, an ELDAbrock intake, a stall converter, and balanced and blueprinted" (there's one that's been thrown around on every hot rod) LOL

Maybe "balanced and blueprinted" means they Plastigaged the crank.

Blowed

As in he blowed his motor.

It's blew or blown.
"The engine blew" or "The engine has blown"
There is no such word as "blowed".

"""RAT ROD""""....I HATE that term!!!!...and actually the cars themselves (and maybe the owners too).

"Barn find" I don't think there's enough barns in the country.

I totally agree!! Both of these are sooo worn out.....anything that's sat under a tarp in a carport with a blown engine for 10 years is a "barn find". Then.....let's flat black rattle can any POS and give it red steel wheels and lower it, and *voila*....RAT ROD!

Juice....As in I'm not getting any juice to my lights. The only thing juice powers is the kids around the livingroom in the morning.

People say "vacuum leak" when it is really an "air leak".

Vacuum can't escape because it is negative pressure.

air leaks in to the void.

cudamike13

Rani has reminded me of this many times :banghead:

In MN everybody calls them "Junkyards" :D

I never even heard of a "salvage" yard until later in adulthood. We always went to the junkyard or boneyard when I was hot rodding back in the 60's and 70's and even with my father in the 50's. Our first hemi came from a local junkyard for the total sum of $50 which was "junk price."

I really think junk meant salvage back then. Junk wasn't "trash" or "garbage." Garbage went to the "dump," because we didn't know what a landfill was back then either.

Times change and language changes over time.

Floor it!
Punch it!
Let it go!

Phrases yelled when young import(ricer)owners see a 60,s-70,s A-body Mopar.:D

Floor it!
Punch it!
Let it go!

Phrases yelled when young import(ricer)owners see a 60,s-70,s A-body Mopar.:D

You forgot "Light 'em up!" :D

Like another member mentioned, the whole "Ever since you fixed my brakes, my power windows are working slow" thing irritates me to no end. Having been a professional mechanic, I used to hear this once a month, usually from the same douche bags.

To put a stop to such non-sense from certain customers, we started writing up "Safety Checks" with two pages worth of stuff wrong with their junk. Yeah, it was 30 minutes out of our lives we didn't get paid for, but it worked.

The title should be changed to the Anal thread:roll:
Why didn't I think of that! :D

Ever have someone come up to you and ask if you had a hemi in your car, and you said no, it's a 440. Then they reply, well I used to have a 340 hemi when I was younger. I usually just say "bye-bye" at that point.:sign3:
God, I love those people. The one's who tell me about there dad's 383 hemi. Ir the one's who ask what year my mustang is. If my mustang has a 390. Oh and the best is the guy who says he's never heard of or seen a slant six before and when I pop the hood he states "Thats a huge V6!"

it grinds my gears when ppl call "wheel covers" as hub caps.

Hub caps are the little ones ....A.K.A. dog dishes.....Hub caps cover ONLY the HUB area and leave some of the wheel exposed

Wheel covers....COVER the entire wheel.

if used correctly, the names of these parts make a lot of sense.

The other one is calling salvage yards as junkyards.

Salvage Yards are in existence to facilitate parting out of cars so that useful parts can be recycled into use on other cars of similar make and model

Junkyards house Junk ......junk= crap ...nothing useful.

if even one mopar is present in the yard then it is a Salvage yard
if a yard is full of Toyotas then its a JUNKYARD ......big difference
I totally agree on the hub caps thing Rani, even though I've never thought of that before. As for the salvage/junkyards, all I can say is one man or woman's junk is another man or woman's treasure!

The reason I double posted is that I'm learning what all the buttons do. sorry.
We all double post at some point in time! Welcome to the Forum! And just so you do know, we do alot more here than just be a bunch of anal retentive, OCD ninneys as the nature of this thread implies lol! :D

People say "vacuum leak" when it is really an "air leak".

Vacuum can't escape because it is negative pressure.

air leaks in to the void.

cudamike13
You're technically right and still yet vaccum leak can be the correct term. Think about this, a leak will only occur under pressure differential therefore a vaccum leak exists because there is a vaccum. If you have a bad intake gasket, it won't leak unless there is a vaccum or high pressure situation on either side of the gasket. The leak occurs because of pressure differential. Since Naturally Aspirated motors have an intake tract under vaccum, a leak can only occur due to vaccum. Hence, a vaccum leak.

...how about sway bar or "anti sway bar"?
and i'm guessing the auto trans cooler in a stock rad is actually a heater for cool weather.

3/4 race cam!!! What the hell is a 3/4 race cam????
well ill tell you . back in the day there wasnt many cam choices like today so when you went to order a cam you could get a a 1/4 cam or a 1/2 race cam or a 3\4 race cam or a full race and thats the story

Well I know some will say enough about this but just remember to those of us that these things bother us we think your an idiot when you say them.

I can not stand for people to call a Cummins a Cummings....

-
Back