PGClassic chrome mirror corroding already!

-
Thanks cannucky,
The backing plates sound like a good idea.

I guess that is for when kids hang on your door handles at car shows right?

yeah that and our doors have only the skins and no reinforcement on the exterior surface so tugging on a sticky door { or yanking on a locked one doh }can bulge them at the bolt points pretty easy , I think the plates were like 12 bucks or something like that it's been a couple of years -cheap insurance at twice the price

They claim to be the manufacturer (in China) of most of the stuff they sell.

If Peter Gee is in fact the owner, he can do whatever he wants. He is not constrained.

Yes yes he can and as I said he was very fair with me , I haven't studied their literature I just talked to people before I bought to find out who I was dealing with and what to expect , I hope it works out to your satisfaction

This is NOT encouraging.... especially since they are doing those `68 Headlight bezels that are calling my name. I hope they "make it right...".

BTW: I bought my door handles from VANS Restorations. They sell the `68-9 Black button handles for about $130 a pair. With no pitting after 2 years.

Thing is many places sell PG classic parts that buy from PG as a wholesaler.

VANS is a big reseller of PG Classic parts. So it BEA parts.

The PG classic chrome parts look good out of the box. But it's tough to get a real gauge of the chrome durability because 99% of the cars the parts are going on are:

1) Garaged
2) Driven under 5000 miles a year
3) Driven in dry weather only
4) Most of the PG classic parts have only been on the market 3-4 years

The scary part about this is in the Mopar reproduction market there is not enough room to have two different true manufacturer for the most of the parts. So when someone comes out with a part, the other repro manufacturers back off that part.

So if PG comes out with good looking parts out of the box that most garage queens wont test the true durability of, THAT'S IT we are stuck with it.

30 day warranty??? Against what??? Pitting inside the box??? How can a chrome plated part have a 30 day warranty when it is clear to me that it will see very minimal weathering in 30 days!!! There are a number of "middle man" companies out there who are nothing more than just that, middle men who take your money to make a profit from it, then drop ship you the same junk as the other companies are getting. I get so tired of seeing these companies pop up, offer the same B and E body junk that has already been repopped for years, and throw an A body bone in there for more of the same junk that you can already get. I have said it in another thread and I'll say it again here, these companies are not out to supply the enthusiast with the parts they need, they are out to take your money and make a profit instead of you spending it somewhere else. No customer service, no parts that are not already being reproduced elsewhere, nothing but profit hungry theives.

If you really need the same parts that everyone else is already producing, go directly to the manufacturer if you can. How many companies offer the same items as PG, like seat covers, only to find out they are manufactured by Legendary??? If you can't buy directly from the manufacturer, find the items you need and have them refinished by a reputable refinisher. If you think it costs too much to do that, ask slantsixdan how many times he's planning to buy PG's repopped crap and how much $$$ he'd have in them before refinishing an original part sounded like a deal!!! Rant over, sorry!!! Geof

If you really need the same parts that everyone else is already producing, go directly to the manufacturer if you can.

Alot of the manufacturers won't sell directly to the public, you have to use a distributor.
I don't know if that rings true here.

Ouch! I think I'm insulted....

lolsign.gif

Year One has offered those mirrors for a long time. I want to believe that even if their mirrors are comming from the same mold, Their quality requirements for materials used, etc., would be higher. Their long standing reputation for quality parts and customer satisfaction wasn't made in China.

Also be careful with Vans after sale service. I have placed an order once, he send me the wrong part and never replied to my e-mails. As it was purchased using Paypal, I asked Paypal for a refund. They told me to send back the item for a refund. The return fees were more than the price of the part I bought, so I decided to keep it.

This clown didn't care about a little customer from Canada

It seems everybody has somebody who done them dirty at least a little , I've had good luck with most of my dealings parts wise , I did however mis speak on the reinforcing plates after speaking to a friend about this I was corrected it was Dynamic Renovation who makes them -give them a call great guys at least when we dealt with them

It seems everybody has somebody who done them dirty at least a little .....

I've dealt with Layson's 3 times and have never had a problem, twice without Rick's help. Go figure....

Update: Big surprise, the manager never bothered calling back. I called and asked for Peter; Dave told me he'll be available next week, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.

So far, my opinion stands: PGClassic are a bunch of clowns selling poorly-made crap from China, then washing their hands of any responsibility.

Update: Big surprise, the manager never bothered calling back. I called and asked for Peter; Dave told me he'll be available next week, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.

So far, my opinion stands: PGClassic are a bunch of clowns selling poorly-made crap from China, then washing their hands of any responsibility.
Are they in cahoots with wall-mart by any chance?

For starters PG is not a manufacturer they are a retailer that works with a couple of other retailers to create a catalogue of available parts BEA Restorations is one of their marketing partners that is why some things are shipped directly and some have an extra shipping charge { door sill plates for example have an extra $20 shipping charge } ,secondly if you talk to Peter he will do what he can but if the part has a 30 day warranty and your 30 days are up then as someone else mentioned you get what you pay for ,maybe you should restore an origional part at 10 times the cost because you got what you bought , lastly I too have had problems with some of their parts , the Abody exterior handles I got would have probably worked on some cars but the rounded exterior of a second gen barracuda meant they stuck up at a 30 degree angle instead of being perpendicular to the ground ,Peter took them back and deducted the cost from the order I was placing when I called which was more than fair given that I had bought a part that I knew was Chinese and much cheaper than rechroming a pitted old one { Cudaspaz -call Vans they have the good ones and get a set of reinforcing backer plates while your at it -well worth the cost }

Not to start an argument here, but why would a business think that a customer would be happy with a crappy part, cheap price or not? So as a customer if I find a part that is not expensive, I should assume it is inferior? What ever happened to treating customers right?

Hey wylde, would that be the same Peter gee who sold me a set of 68 dart taillights a couple years ago on e-bay and described them as "nice quality with no cracks or breaks in the lenses and nice chrome" when in reality they were complete junk with cracks in both lenses with 1 having a piece broken off in the corner and the bezels had bad chrome and 1 with 1 whole side broken off?? By the way he claimed they were damaged in shipping but wait-- no pieces in the box and no damage to the box either, What a fraud!!

Hey wylde, would that be the same Peter gee who sold me a set of 68 dart taillights a couple years ago on e-bay and described them as "nice quality with no cracks or breaks in the lenses and nice chrome" when in reality they were complete junk with cracks in both lenses with 1 having a piece broken off in the corner and the bezels had bad chrome and 1 with 1 whole side broken off?? By the way he claimed they were damaged in shipping but wait-- no pieces in the box and no damage to the box either, What a fraud!!

How would I know if it's the same guy from a couple years ago? Their ebay store is eparts4cars. So if you bought off ebay, did you send money from paypal? Did you get paypal involved to help fix things or get your money back? Did you leave negative feedback? Hey, I'd be pissed too if I received busted crap. But what did you do to get things resolved?

I can only give my experience, which has been good so far. My 4-speed parts worked and the chrome bezels for my scoops are holding up fine. I'll continue to order from them to save broker fees to Canada. And if I ever get burned, you'll hear about it too.

Like someone else posted, we've all been burned by someone. I keep hearing about how great Mancini is but I have yet to have one e-mail answered when I had a question about a product before I was ready to purchase. No answer = no sale. Does this mean their stuff was crap. NO. Not at all. But again customer service can reflect good or bad for a business. And as we can read, they're getting a big thumbs down from Dan. We'll see what happens next.

Wylde1.

SSPX0195.jpg

SSPX0198.jpg

Dropped a note to the owner of Year One this past weekend, asking about that mirror. Here's what he had to say:

"Hi Daniel,

Okay, the report back from the trenches indicates that the mirror is made in a country of unknown origin (manufacturer won't say), and the finish is marginal...probably what you have already seen. There is only one mfr of this mirror, has been for years, so what you already have is the same as what we offer."

Not to start an argument here, but why would a business think that a customer would be happy with a crappy part, cheap price or not? So as a customer if I find a part that is not expensive, I should assume it is inferior? What ever happened to treating customers right?

Buyer beware is the m.o of the average company these days.I think there are far more white collar criminals in business suites than gangbangers.

Buyer beware is the m.o of the average company these days.I think there are far more white collar criminals in business suites than gangbangers.
Hey Wylde, Im sorry if you got the wrong impression I might have been bashing you, that was not the case. Yes I did make a claim with E-bay, had to take them to an appraiser who claimed them as junk. I believe I paid upwards of $150 for them with shipping and only got back $90 after their fees and losing the shipping costs. I got to keep the taillights but the only things remotely usable were the housings. By the way, during the whole process all he claimed was damage by the shipper once. So all in all not a good experience with him, He started e-parts-4-cars shortly after that incident. If you have good luck with him then good deal for you but I can say I will never buy from him again!!!

Well, I finally got to speak to the man himself: "Peter Gee" (which I am sure is not his given name). I politely explained the situation, including the lack of callback and follow-through by his employees. He didn't comment at all on that, but with a very thick Chinese accent, he made all kinds of excuses and justifications: it must be my driving conditions, it must be my weather conditions, it must be bad luck, he's the manufacturer and he personally makes sure every mirror is triple plated (yeah, right, I'm so sure) but it's not possible to predict how long even the best chrome plating will last even in the best of conditions, I'm the only one who's ever had this kind of problem with any of his products, etc. Eventually he offered to replace the mirror if I send in the corroded one. I probably won't bother; the new one will just corrode in another five months.

As for his claim to be the manufacturer: Maybe and maybe not. At any trade show (auto parts, kitchenware, lawn and garden supplies, whatever) you go from booth to booth collecting catalogues from dozens or hundreds of Chinese each claiming to be the manufacturer of everything in the catalogue. You get back to your hotel at the end of the day, spread out the catalogues on your bed, and you find that dozens or hundreds of them are identical, right down to the page numbers and part numbers and product photographs. They're printed in different colours, and the company name is different, and a different building is shown on the back of the catalogue, but those are the only differences. Oh, yeah, "We are the manufacturer!", sure, fine, whatever.

So in the end, what we have here is a real classy, typical Chinese operation. :roll:

"Eventually he offered to replace the mirror if I send in the corroded one. I probably won't bother; the new one will just corrode in another five months."

After all of the problems and hoops you have through to this point, it would seem senseless to not take them up on their offer.

Grant

Well, I finally got to speak to the man himself: "Peter Gee" (which I am sure is not his given name). I politely explained the situation, including the lack of callback and follow-through by his employees. He didn't comment at all on that, but with a very thick Chinese accent, he made all kinds of excuses and justifications: it must be my driving conditions, it must be my weather conditions, it must be bad luck, he's the manufacturer and he personally makes sure every mirror is triple plated (yeah, right, I'm so sure) but it's not possible to predict how long even the best chrome plating will last even in the best of conditions, I'm the only one who's ever had this kind of problem with any of his products, etc. Eventually he offered to replace the mirror if I send in the corroded one. I probably won't bother; the new one will just corrode in another five months.

As for his claim to be the manufacturer: Maybe and maybe not. At any trade show (auto parts, kitchenware, lawn and garden supplies, whatever) you go from booth to booth collecting catalogues from dozens or hundreds of Chinese each claiming to be the manufacturer of everything in the catalogue. You get back to your hotel at the end of the day, spread out the catalogues on your bed, and you find that dozens or hundreds of them are identical, right down to the page numbers and part numbers and product photographs. They're printed in different colours, and the company name is different, and a different building is shown on the back of the catalogue, but those are the only differences. Oh, yeah, "We are the manufacturer!", sure, fine, whatever.

So in the end, what we have here is a real classy, typical Chinese operation. :roll:

I am NOT a racist man,not even close.But this chinese crap in our markets realy bothers me.Simply because it's crap and nobody wants to claim responsibility or back up the product when it breaks etc..

I have truly become a "where it's made" shopper.

But lots of times we get no choice as to where it's made as all the business's saw fit to simultaineously offshore thier labour and seriously downgrade the quality of what we buy.

Not to mention take away jobs and destroy the economy...

I had to chime in.

I have purchased several items from PG Classic and so far I am unimpressed.

My window cranks rattle and are loose. Two of them broke already. They replaced one and on the second one the sent me back the broken one saying it was a replacement one. The handle popped of in my hand the minute I took it out of the box. Keep in mind that I have only rolled my windows down 20 times at the most.

My gas cap was drilled out crooked and the seal didn't even come close to touching the fuel tube...I had to glue a rubber doughnut to the skimpy thin one on the cap just to get it to seal.

I have a new mirror that barely moves when you use the remote control so I have to manually adjust my mirror.

They are hard to deal with and terrible to speak to after the sale. (very rough and rude attitudes).

But.......sadly....they have the parts we need and unless you spend bucks to restore or find NOS parts were screwed.

So if you buy from them....keep the parts clean, out of the weather and try not to touch or use them very much.

They should last 6 months at least that way.:angry7:

Mop

-
Back