Picking up a 318

-
A friend did a 318/390. Man that thing fly's,in a B body wagon to boot.
I have a roller cam 318 from a 1985 Diplomat. Block date is 1984. I can't say if it is true or not but was told if the 318 engine is painted Black,good chance it's a roller.
Another thing I have heard is all 2 bbl 85-up LA's were rollers but not the 4 bbl. ? Possible just a myth.

View attachment 1715151575

View attachment 1715151576
Would be awesome if it was a roller. ....
318s are SO underrated.....I'll show ya'll. ....!

Jeff

i dont think the year makes a difference, if you hit that turn hard enough you can turn any car into a roller

Keep your eye on the big picture.
I keep hearing how much you like your 318s;you do realize that a 390 is no longer a 318 right. It has just 23 cubes on a 4.04 bore 367.That's a tic over 6% and it's all stroke. And cam for cam, in street trim,that's about 23 to 28 horsepower over the 367, or about 7 to maybe 12 degrees in intake duration, depending on optimization.
As to torque (low-rpm power to member 273), the 390 could waste the 367, alrighty........ but a stout hi-compression, aluminum-headed, 367 already makes way more torque than the stock street chassis can handle. So by installing the stroker kit, you could actually be just buying tires more often.
However, if this engine was for a heavy truck or van, or if you actually just want a tire fryer, well then shoot me now.
Or I suppose you could take 10% rear gear out of it and still be on par with a stout 367. It's just that the 367 was a lot cheaper to build. Last time I looked stroker kits were going for about $1200 and more.
That money could go into a proper TC for a 367, and gears, with some left over for a shiftkit and a cooler.

Now, hang on, I'm not dissing your choice or raining on your parade, or being a killjoy. Not at all; I'm just trying to help you get the most from your dollars.

And to that end, if you do go 390, then again, to get the most bang for your buck, for sure get aluminum heads, and crank the cylinder pressure up to match a small street cam. This might allow you to keep your current TC , and run 10 to 15% less gear as well, cuz no matter what, it's gonna spin any street tire you can fit into any stock A-body rear tub........ So, you might as well shoot for some civility and fuel mileage. In that way you can trade the Crank kit for a TC+gears, making it all the more attractive.
But if you're stuck with iron heads, you'll have to keep the pressure down, and you might nor be able to keep the current TC and gears.
The point is to just see the whole picture.

AJ, the master of obvious and front line party pooper!

LMAO!

I think he gets that AJ. He is just happy to do something with a “paper weight engine” as so many live to name it. (AKA Trash it.)
So sorry you see the smaller mill as garbage.

Phukr sold it out from under me. ....I'll keep looking......

I’ve got one! Definitely not a roller though, it’s a ‘74 318 out of a Dart. But the drive to Sacramento would cost you more than the engine...

Saying a 318 isn't a 318 anymore because I stroked it is (almost) like saying my Cuda isn't a Cuda anymore because I changed the wheels.....
I get the point, and I appreciate the input and opinions. .....
Our cars get modified all the time....doesn't take away from what they are.....
I hold no bad feelings of anyone's opinion. ....
We're all here because we love our Mopars

Jeff

Saying a 318 isn't a 318 anymore because I stroked it is (almost) like saying my Cuda isn't a Cuda anymore because I changed the wheels.....
I get the point, and I appreciate the input and opinions. .....
Our cars get modified all the time....doesn't take away from what they are.....
I hold no bad feelings of anyone's opinion. ....
We're all here because we love our Mopars

Jeff
Ummmm.... Jeff ? A 318 with a 4" arm is not a 318 anymore..... your wheels on your cuda is like putting a 4bbl on a 318, still a 318. You can say you have a stroker 318. You can say it's a 318 stroked. But 318 is the cubic inches made up of bore and stroke. when you move the stroke from 3.31 to 4", you moved the cubic inches from 318 to 390.

Ummmm.... Jeff ? A 318 with a 4" arm is not a 318 anymore..... your wheels on your cuda is like putting a 4bbl on a 318, still a 318. You can say you have a stroker 318. You can say it's a 318 stroked. But 318 is the cubic inches made up of bore and stroke. when you move the stroke from 3.31 to 4", you moved the cubic inches from 318 to 390.
It was an anology.....

Jeff

so, what do we call a .030 over 318?
Really?? LOL... yes, it's a 318 .030 over

You could also say you have a 318 stroker, or a stroked 318.... LOL

but if you go around running 10's and saying "she's a 318 alright" when your packing 390 cubes, you'll be called a phony, fake, liar :D

Or.... you could just say you built a 318 and leave the rest a secret :p

-
Back