"Piggy Back" Fuse available for Glass Fuse?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I would like to know if a company manufactures (or anyone clever has fabricated) a way to piggyback onto an old style glass fuse? I just want to tap into the instrument/dash panel illumination so that my aftermarket oil pressure gauge can be read after dark. I just don't like splicing into factory wiring harness if I don't have to. It would be cool if I could just clip something over one end of the dash light fuse that is there in the fuse block. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2023-12-09 at 3.41.34 PM.png

The back side of a fuse block sometimes has take offs.

Internet pic for illustrative purposes.
1702168688172.jpeg

Back in the day, we would just use a standard male spade connector and put a curve in it the same radius as the fuse. Then just slip it in between the fuse and it's terminal.

I would like to know if a company manufactures (or anyone clever has fabricated) a way to piggyback onto an old style glass fuse? I just want to tap into the instrument/dash panel illumination so that my aftermarket oil pressure gauge can be read after dark. I just don't like splicing into factory wiring harness if I don't have to. It would be cool if I could just clip something over one end of the dash light fuse that is there in the fuse block. Thank you.

View attachment 1716176524

If you are not using the factory radio, I use the orange connector/wire from the radio for my aftermarket gauge lights... That way they brighten and dim with the dash lights...

The orange wires under the dash are usually in the same circuit as the dash lights....

I don't know the year you're working on, but @krazykuda's tactic is a good one.
Look for an unused circuit branch. Shop manual diagram should clue if there was one for optional console or other gage lighting.
Definately several ways to skin this cat.

Connector on right is the one on a '67 for console or console tach. When installed the connector is close to the ashtray
1702260466013.png

Last edited:
Those piggy back "stak-on" or spade connectors come in a few different configuration.
Handy for different space limitations. Not super easy to find, though.

Also, for lighting, there should be a wire somewhere behind the dash, that has an orange, three socket end.

It's for lights in an optional console, among other things.

Usually, unless your car has a console, 2 of the 3 are unused.

Backyard mechanic me, has also just tinned the end of the wire, bent in to a U shape, and clipped that under the protected end of the fuse.

Those piggy back "stak-on" or spade connectors come in a few different configuration.
Handy for different space limitations. Not super easy to find, though.

Backyard mechanic me, has also just tinned the end of the wire, bent in to a U shape, and clipped that under the protected end of the fuse.
I'm the same. Normally I don't like to piggy back on fuses, I'd rather splice into a wire and add another tail. But I have done this also.

Insulation displacement connectors work great for what you are doing. The gel coat type have an anticorrosive gel inside the connector. Put 2 wires in snap the lid and your done! (with corrosion protection). They make them with multiple wiring spaces as well. I can't post pictures but you can look them up by name.

Last edited:
-
Back