Piggybacking air tanks

-

Pascamp

Reaction score
I currently have a 5hp 60g compressor with a proper distribution and treatment system. I recently took a 30g compressor from a deadbeat customer for partial payment. I would like to incorporate this into my system for more volume.

The 30g compressor has threaded bungs that are smaller than the output on my 60. There's plenty of meat to drill and tap though. Is this as simple as I'm picturing it to be? Just run the output from the 60 into the 30, and then from the 30 to the distribution piping? Seems like a no-brainer, but want to make sure I'm not over looking something.

I currently have a 5hp 60g compressor with a proper distribution and treatment system. I recently took a 30g compressor from a deadbeat customer for partial payment. I would like to incorporate this into my system for more volume.

The 30g compressor has threaded bungs that are smaller than the output on my 60. There's plenty of meat to drill and tap though. Is this as simple as I'm picturing it to be? Just run the output from the 60 into the 30, and then from the 30 to the distribution piping? Seems like a no-brainer, but want to make sure I'm not over looking something.
Yes you can add as much storage as you want. Of course it will take your compressor head longer to build up pressure. And you should use as big a pipe you can to bridge the two tanks. You CANNOT run two compressor heads feeding two tanks connected like this.

what's your PSI? 120? The only bugaboo I can even begin to imagine would be the rating for the pipe you use to connect the two tanks..

Yes you can add as much storage as you want. Of course it will take your compressor head longer to build up pressure. And you should use as big a pipe you can to bridge the two tanks. You CANNOT run two compressor heads feeding two tanks connected like this.
The connection between the two tanks will get hot so you will want a steel connection. The larger the connection the less heat will be generated.

The connection between the two tanks will get hot so you will want a steel connection. The larger the connection the less heat will be generated.
The bigger diameter not larger....

The distribution system is all 3/4 type L copper. System pressure is 150 and regulated at each drop. Currently I use hydraulic hose as the lead in from the tank to the piping system for vibration isolation. I was going to use the same to connect the 2 tanks.

The distribution system is all 3/4 type L copper. System pressure is 150 and regulated at each drop. Currently I use hydraulic hose as the lead in from the tank to the piping system for vibration isolation. I was going to use the same to connect the 2 tanks.
The hose will get hot, you are compressing air between the two tanks. The greater the pressure the hotter.

I wouldn't even think you would have to feed in and out of the 2nd tank, just T it into your distribution system anywhere after the output of your main tank. Any problems with this? Then you have more freedom of placement.
Myself, I don't have much room where my compressor is located, but there are plenty of out of the way spots I thought about stashing more air.

I wouldn't even think you would have to feed in and out of the 2nd tank, just T it into your distribution system anywhere after the output of your main tank. Any problems with this? Then you have more freedom of placement.
Myself, I don't have much room where my compressor is located, but there are plenty of out of the way spots I thought about stashing more air.
I got ya. Good idea. Cap one bung off, and feed the other one with a Tee in the middle. Less drilling and tapping too. Thanks

The wife's closet sounds like a good place.

Last edited:
I am confused. Why would you need to move the outlet to the distribution?

I am confused. Why would you need to move the outlet to the distribution?
The tank is just adding volume. So it can be Tee'd into the system anywhere. I was looking at the trees and didn't see the forest.

The tank is just adding volume. So it can be Tee'd into the system anywhere. I was looking at the trees and didn't see the forest.

I can certainly relate to that!

I had a 60gal 5hp compressor, before I built the Big Shop.. I had a leak in the bottom of the tank, so the Manf. sent me another Tank..N/C..Problem was.. the pump would not mount to the tank the same...So I had a friend Fix/Weld the hole in the bad tank. Then , when I built the New Shop, I installed them side by side, inside the shop, and connected them. I ran a 3/4 black iron system , everywhere in my shop that I needed. Too Friggin Noisy inside the shop..plus was only 110, 5hp... So I got a 220, 7.5hp 80gal.dual stage IR compressor from my Tool Supplier. Then I built an insulated shed outside the rear wall of the shop, close to where the inside system was. I piped though the wall, and connected the new compressor to the other 2 tanks, disabling the old 5hp pump. So now I have a compressor, outside and quiet, connected to 2 60 gal tanks inside the shop.. So total of 200 gal storage.. Psi tops at 140..Works Great....

I think you may have a problem... Presuming both compressors start at the same time when there is no pressure in the system,
they will run until one of the pressure switches shuts its machine down. The second machine could then maintain enough pressure to prevent the first machine from restarting. If you mess with either of the pressure switches and force a compressor to start at full system pressure, you stand a chance of burning out the motor.

I think you may have a problem... Presuming both compressors start at the same time when there is no pressure in the system,
they will run until one of the pressure switches shuts its machine down. The second machine could then maintain enough pressure to prevent the first machine from restarting. If you mess with either of the pressure switches and force a compressor to start at full system pressure, you stand a chance of burning out the motor.
I have no intentions of defying scientific principals or logic. It will be a one motor system. I'm gonna strip the compressor of the second tank. Just using the second tank for volume.

Holy Compressors: Many good ideals, but you have to ask yourself why do I need so much captured air volume. “Danger Will Robinson” Multiple air tools, car lifts, paint booths, sand blasting, are all of these items working together in synchronized harmony? If yes, you may need an industrial compressor pretty much like a car dealership, or farm implement dealer has. They can deliver the much need air pressure and air volume and can run continuously, and they are placed, usually out of sight for a good reason. Some air compressors depending on size and quality have a duty cycle much like welders and battery chargers. If your duty cycle is 50% it is good for lets say 30 minutes continuously and cool down time 30 minutes. The compressor I am using will run continuously for one hour, cycling off and on depending on my air load such as using air powered body sanders and sand blasting cabinet. After one hour of sand blasting I turn the compressor off for an hour, to cool its self down. I do use a spare air tank in conjunction with my compressor to help keep up the volume of air, especially sand blasting. The tank is not plumed in with the rest of the pipe that runs the entire shop walls. I use an air hose and connector and use it as if I was connecting the hose to an air impact. This tank about is about forty gallons, handy throw it in the back of the truck, it will blow up a combine tire, it will run a small grinder and you have air for a blow gun if need be. Having multiply tanks is an OK idea, I cannot see running the compressor more then it needs to be filling all the tanks, just maybe you need just to use the blow gun? If I went this route, plumed in extra air tanks I would invest in a ball valve to shut off the extra tanks if not needed. To run air lines, I would never use plastic lines and “shark bite” fittings will not take the abuse, copper is nice if you can afford it and can solder well, black iron is good but rust easy inside and out, costs a little more but galvanize looks better to me, and inhabits rusts better. I copied a few web sites enjoy.

www.about-air-compressors.com/dutycycle.html

www.aircompressorworks.com/blog/index.php?mode=post&id=37

Holy Compressors: Many good ideals, but you have to ask yourself why do I need so much captured air volume. “Danger Will Robinson” Multiple air tools, car lifts, paint booths, sand blasting, are all of these items working together in synchronized harmony? If yes, you may need an industrial compressor pretty much like a car dealership, or farm implement dealer has. They can deliver the much need air pressure and air volume and can run continuously, and they are placed, usually out of sight for a good reason. Some air compressors depending on size and quality have a duty cycle much like welders and battery chargers. If your duty cycle is 50% it is good for lets say 30 minutes continuously and cool down time 30 minutes. The compressor I am using will run continuously for one hour, cycling off and on depending on my air load such as using air powered body sanders and sand blasting cabinet. After one hour of sand blasting I turn the compressor off for an hour, to cool its self down. I do use a spare air tank in conjunction with my compressor to help keep up the volume of air, especially sand blasting. The tank is not plumed in with the rest of the pipe that runs the entire shop walls. I use an air hose and connector and use it as if I was connecting the hose to an air impact. This tank about is about forty gallons, handy throw it in the back of the truck, it will blow up a combine tire, it will run a small grinder and you have air for a blow gun if need be. Having multiply tanks is an OK idea, I cannot see running the compressor more then it needs to be filling all the tanks, just maybe you need just to use the blow gun? If I went this route, plumed in extra air tanks I would invest in a ball valve to shut off the extra tanks if not needed. To run air lines, I would never use plastic lines and “shark bite” fittings will not take the abuse, copper is nice if you can afford it and can solder well, black iron is good but rust easy inside and out, costs a little more but galvanize looks better to me, and inhabits rusts better. I copied a few web sites enjoy.

www.about-air-compressors.com/dutycycle.html

www.aircompressorworks.com/blog/index.php?mode=post&id=37
For the most part I'm happy with 60g, but the compressor cycling with certain tools annoys me. Using the blast cabinet, plasma cutter, blow off, air saw, or a DA can be annoying.

Also when painting it causes me mental anguish. When painting time matters. I don't want to stop to let the system catch up. I may be using air faster than the compressor can refill it. Even though the regulator at the gun is WAY lower than the pressure switch on the motor... it makes me nervous. With 90g and 100' of 3/4 pipe I could probably paint a car without ever hearing the compressor.

I recently added a 30 (or so) gallon extra tank well downstream of my 6.5hp/60gal compressor. I did so, thinking that it might help eliminate water from the main air hose to my tools. The theory being that the air is entering a large chamber and the water would fall out easier. So far, it seems to be working.

Wound up Teeing it into a drop line with a shut off valve and quick connect. Kept the wheels and handle on the tank so I can use it remotely or just move it if it's in the way. Thanks all for the ideas.

-
Back