Pink 70 340 Duster goes for $62K on Mecum

-
I think a bazillion dollar 1 of whatever with no miles on it is kinda silly, and a waste of an awesome car. I'd love to see someone buy one of those all original low miles cars and then burn the hides off it coming out of the parking lot and drive it half way across the country to get home, resale be damned. So if you see somebody do that, maybe I won the lotto

if that goes down, give a ring. i'll be at the curb with a cooler full of beers and ready to drive the second leg!

You missed one junkyardhero!

Some people just grew up on Mopar, like wrenching on them, sharing that love with family and driving the **** out of them any opportunity they can. :)

i didn't grow up mopar, but i got here as fast as i could!

there's been a mopar in my driveway for the last 30 years, and some of my fondest memories are building cars with my brother or road tripping back from the nats with my dad.

your sentiment if fully shared: it don't matter if it's a $1500 fender flapping refugee from the wreckers or 150K points resto, it was meant to be driven and enjoyed.

This thread reminds me of why I don’t come to this place much anymore.

A seller put a car up for auction and a buyer decided what they were willing to pay for it.

Period.

But some folks here think that they should pass judgement on the transaction as if they have a right to. It happened, get over it.

What’s next, bark about the moon shinning brighter than you want, complain that the winds blow more than you want or less than someone said they would…perhaps the snow fell more or less than you wanted?

Jeez, get a life. Reality is what it is…not what you think it should be.

I‘m out.
Exactly. If something sells for a given price, it was worth it to someone, wasn't it?

My .02 cents. Along with several others in this thread, I own a few somewhat valuable Mopars. Guess what? At the time of purchase, I "thought" I over paid for every one of them, or at least, I paid more than I wanted to. If I hadn't, guess how many Mopars I would own today? That is the boat many are in. At some point, if you want to run with the big dogs, you have to, at least, get off the porch. Cheap car. Expensive car. Doesn't matter. Just get involved, and have fun.

Now for my Duster. Let's put this in perspective. I got it for about what a new loaded F-150 would cost. And I most definitely paid more than I wanted. But, if I'm getting another A body, I wanted it to be more rare than my 70 440-6 Cuda, AND my 71 383 Cuda convertible. And, the deal that really sealed the deal, well, it sold on BAT on my wife's birthday. It's her car, and it got her involved with a hobby, that up until this car, held little interest for her, even though she attended most shows and races that I participated in. But, many times she was looking at her watch, and asking me how much longer. Now, she is always asking when the next show is. Yes, I paid a lot of money for it (61,500), and was told that i was crazy. And this was just last year. Is it worth it? Yes, it is to me, even if it doesn't appreciate in value. Doesn't hurt that it is a 1 of 1 factory FM3 two-tone, painted top 4 speed magazine cover car either. Sure is a fun car, regardless of rarity.

So there it is, many times in auctions or otherwise, there is more than just the, so called, "value" of the car taken in consideration when buying.

everyone is faced with this dilema every day. You have an item in one hand, money in the other
and decide which one you want more!

Wish I still had the 71 340 4sp Demon I had in the day. Twin scoop , wing ,sport mirrors , buckets ….
Lots of money in our economy despite what some would like you to believe. Think about it this way . If you have 20 Million in the bank 65k is like lunch money .

I definitely over paid for my 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger ($32.000). The car was originally a /6 car but it was 90% restored with a 340. And had just been painted the rare Citron Yella. But I didn't care since I had the money and it was what I wanted.

So when I see people bitching about the price of some of these cars I just shake my head. If you can't afford it fine, but don't complain about the ones that can.

Maybe the issue here is money. Some people are wealthy, some people aren't. How people
got their wealth is a whole different subject.

It seems to me that 20 years ago Dusters carried their value pretty well. Doesn’t surprise me to see an FM3 340 car go for that kind of money.

My .02 cents. Along with several others in this thread, I own a few somewhat valuable Mopars. Guess what? At the time of purchase, I "thought" I over paid for every one of them, or at least, I paid more than I wanted to. If I hadn't, guess how many Mopars I would own today? That is the boat many are in. At some point, if you want to run with the big dogs, you have to, at least, get off the porch. Cheap car. Expensive car. Doesn't matter. Just get involved, and have fun.

Now for my Duster. Let's put this in perspective. I got it for about what a new loaded F-150 would cost. And I most definitely paid more than I wanted. But, if I'm getting another A body, I wanted it to be more rare than my 70 440-6 Cuda, AND my 71 383 Cuda convertible. And, the deal that really sealed the deal, well, it sold on BAT on my wife's birthday. It's her car, and it got her involved with a hobby, that up until this car, held little interest for her, even though she attended most shows and races that I participated in. But, many times she was looking at her watch, and asking me how much longer. Now, she is always asking when the next show is. Yes, I paid a lot of money for it (61,500), and was told that i was crazy. And this was just last year. Is it worth it? Yes, it is to me, even if it doesn't appreciate in value. Doesn't hurt that it is a 1 of 1 factory FM3 two-tone, painted top 4 speed magazine cover car either. Sure is a fun car, regardless of rarity.

So there it is, many times in auctions or otherwise, there is more than just the, so called, "value" of the car taken in consideration when buying.
Right if you want the car market conditions dictate high price you can afford the car then pay up or your not getting the car that you are able to pay for. Now lets see a picture of that Duster.

Per articles I read plymouth saw the E Body replacing the A Body Barracuda and the goal was to come up with an A Body so that the small light car 340 combo could be retained. So the primary motivation for the Duster was to have a cool two door 340 car cause A Body Barracuda was going away. And Duster shares same 108 inch wheel base as '67-'69 Barracuda. 340 Dusters have always been a favorite of mopar fans.

Back in '69 and 70 the A bodies were the cheapest of them all and the only car a lot of us
young guys could afford.
Then we found out they were pretty quick!

Why can't people just do what makes them happy?

If you can't afford it, then you can keep trying until you do. I've come across several hot deals on A bodies. They're out there. Quit complaining that you don't have the money. Who cares.

If you can afford it, and you feel the need to justify to random people on the internet that the money was well spent, then that's just incredibly insecure. Quit bitching about where your money went. Who cares.

Be happy and focus on **** you can control.

The black and yellow Dusters that got the big money were MCACN Gold Certified cars. That means every paint mark on chassis, every bolt nut clamp, plated finish on fasteners, all parts correct for that year, no flaws anywhere on the cars, numbers match, perfect museum quality top tier best of breed cars possible. They are best of the best collector grade cars probably never to be driven trailered to the big shows sit in a museum etc. The high rollers will bid against each other do what it takes to get them cause cars at that level are scarce.

Then we got bozos don't understand what they are and say I can buy a Duster off Craigslist for cheaper? Therefore those Concourse Gold Certified Dusters are not worth it? Sure yeah thats an accurate comparison uh huh pat yourself on the back great observation.

You know what's funny ?
They aren't worth that when you are buying them, but they sure are when you are selling them. :)

The black and yellow Dusters that got the big money were MCACN Gold Certified cars. That means every paint mark on chassis, every bolt nut clamp, plated finish on fasteners, all parts correct for that year, no flaws anywhere on the cars, numbers match, perfect museum quality top tier best of breed cars possible. They are best of the best collector grade cars probably never to be driven trailered to the big shows sit in a museum etc. The high rollers will bid against each other do what it takes to get them cause cars at that level are scarce.

Then we got bozos don't understand what they are and say I can buy a Duster off Craigslist for cheaper? Therefore those Concourse Gold Certified Dusters are not worth it? Sure yeah thats an accurate comparison uh huh pat yourself on the back great observation.
i think part of this is the disconnect from reality. people just flat *** don't understand all the "behind the scenes work" and attention to granular details.

take the plated finish on fasteners for example. first you have to make sure that you have all the fasteners, then that they're all correct and if not go find them suckers. then they gotta get cleaned and inspected. then you can send them out to one of the probably handful of people that know what they're supposed to be plated with and how it's supposed to look and hope that you can get that back on a reasonable turnaround and you stuff doesn't go MIA at their place, in transit or the joint closes up mid job. after nail-biting for two months you finally get your stuff back and it's all perfect, so you throw that in the bin labeled "fasteners" with all the other stuff you've cleaned, painted or bought NOS and paid thru the nose for.

congrats, now you have 10K wrapped up in fasteners for your resto.

and it's like that for everything on a car at that level.

Agree cadmium plating and zinc can be expensive and sourcing out the parts when you can't find them and we know about the NOS pricing...just don't make sense to do a 100 point resto anymore

So far as my car goes, it is an older resto that has held up very well. Amazingly well, to be honest. It is a high end, professional restoration with chassis markings, paint daubs, etc.

I am not sure about every nut and bolt being the correct finish, but i intend to find out at some point. Probably at MCACN, since Bob has sent an open invitation. To be honest, I would love to show it at a moulin rouge/panther pink invitational display. I know it has been done before, but, I can't remember which of the major shows did it?

After seeing the prices realized for the higher end Duster's, it does make me wonder what it would bring? Even so, I have no intention of selling it. How could I replace it? Besides, I actually drive it :).

Simple, I follow the market such as Facebook, Craigslist, etc. If the regular guy was the only one's to bid on it it probably wouldn't have sold for such a outrageous amount. Say, if you had bought the car for that do you think that you could resell it for a profit? Most likely not. I found a real nice low mileage 1974 318 duster for 40k, is it still for sale, yes it is
"Yes it Is" Because Your Still here just typing...
You said You wouldn't go look at it during the Holidays...
It is now the Middle of the next month, What's your excuse Now?

"Yes it Is" Because Your Still here just typing...
You said You wouldn't go look at it during the Holidays...
It is now the Middle of the next month, What's your excuse Now?
He does not have time, he is to busy trolling A Bodies Only. Priorities man

No Duster is worth Mecum prices but a super nice gold one for 20k poo poo around don't do anything....

-
Back