Piston id?

-

nixrsix

Reaction score
I’m slowly taking this motor apart to see what’s in it. I’m crazy busy so usually late night can’t sleep is the only time I’ve had to wrench. As it sits, what can any guru’s tell me about this piston? Looks like .030 w valve reliefs....but anything else?

1E68155F-C51E-4BD1-8456-406479C3B7BF.jpeg

For starters; what is the engine.......318, 340, 360, 273 ?? bring the piston up to TDC, then snap a pic......pull the pan off, snap some pic's of any numbers on the underside of the piston....then it may be determined what pistons you have....maybe

It's for a 4-valve engine?? It's down in a hole, like Alice In Chains?? Jk

Why does it "look like .030 over"??

Could be a oem style replacement with the lower compression height. I have seen 4 relief pistons with the compression height of the 10.5 piston also. Do what Burch told ya. Only way you're gonna know.

Looks like a stocker 273 2v or 318 +.030. Maybe Badger or any of the other aftermarket drop ins to replace a stocker.

Looks like a stocker 273 2v or 318 +.030. Maybe Badger or any of the other aftermarket drop ins to replace a stocker.
Exactly. Stock replacement. Nothing fancy. Sorry.

Yes, 273 or 318. stock replacement types. The valve reliefs are too small to be the 4 valve relief, low compression replacement for the 340.

Yes, I was looking at the bore of the head gasket and thinking 318... A 340's 30-over 4.07" bore would not seem to have that much deck exposed IMHO....but just guessing from a pix on the internet ain't accurate LOL

I like the way the op hasn’t replied to his own thread even though he/she has been on a few times. Makes me think he is a non Mopar person that couldn’t care less. Probably doesn’t even know the engine size or how to tell what it is. Kim

Hi Kim, Im still here, don't be a douche, eh? I work a hectic work schedule, no need to hate.

It's a 340 that I got from an auction with no details on what's in it. I'm pulling it apart to ID everything in it before cranking it over so I know what I got. Sometimes I get excited about getting it running when I'm traveling or whatever. So, I'll post something like this hoping to get any info to calm my brain down from thinking about it. Pretty vague post until I get further into the engine, just getting excited.

Hi Kim, Im still here, don't be a douche, eh? I work a hectic work schedule, no need to hate.

It's a 340 that I got from an auction with no details on what's in it. I'm pulling it apart to ID everything in it before cranking it over so I know what I got. Sometimes I get excited about getting it running when I'm traveling or whatever. So, I'll post something like this hoping to get any info to calm my brain down from thinking about it. Pretty vague post until I get further into the engine, just getting excited.

Don't come in here callin a good member names. None of us is gettin paid here to help YOU. If it's a 340, those are the 72 1/2-73 8.5:1 pistons "I think". I say "I THINK" because there is also one that comes out of the bore a little and has a little more compression. But since you didn't include a picture of the piston at TDC, like you didn't bother to include which engine it is in your first post, we cannot tell. It's not our fault that you come on here for help and leave important information out and then disappear until approaching a month later. That's your fault. If you want continued help, I suggest you calm down and act like it.

Just throwing the rock back!

The 340 was built with a blower setup, so I'm guessing they are low compression pistons. They do seem like stock low compression pistons the more I look online. Like I said prior, hopefully I can find some time to crack open further and get the full answer. Work has been keeping me plenty busy!

Just throwing the rock back!

The 340 was built with a blower setup, so I'm guessing they are low compression pistons. They do seem like stock low compression pistons the more I look online. Like I said prior, hopefully I can find some time to crack open further and get the full answer. Work has been keeping me plenty busy!

Like I already posted earlier...I knew it was a 340, seen all those pistons before and as I said... you can tell by how close the 8553 felpro head gasket is to the bore. 4.180 -.4.07=.110...and that's what it looks like.

Like I already posted earlier...I knew it was a 340, seen all those pistons before and as I said... you can tell by how close the 8553 felpro head gasket is to the bore. 4.180 -.4.07=.110...and that's what it looks like.

Yes! Sorry, I meant to scroll up to look at your name to give you credit. I'm probably going to rebuild it with forged components and get rid of the blower. Wouldn't an 871 chew up these cheaper pistons?

8-71 woah boy
depends on how fast you spin it
key to a blower or anything else is no detonation
detonation will kill any piston- rod bearing- etc
may take longer but still a big bang

did anyone say WELCOME

Yes! Sorry, I meant to scroll up to look at your name to give you credit. I'm probably going to rebuild it with forged components and get rid of the blower. Wouldn't an 871 chew up these cheaper pistons?
Only if its turned up over 5psi or so, if I remember that's what a friend of mine ran on his Durango 5.9, never a problem...other then it burnt oil after some thousands of miles lead footing it around town. Haha
Though they cast, those are a thicker/beefier piston than a cast 318 or 360 of same comp height. Sealed power makes one very close in appearance to those, maybe is. Good to hear you're ready, or suited to get some forged pistons. Might I recommend a good bang for the buck FHR series pistons from united engine/kb/icon.
They are more durable then a hyper without the typical forged price tag and fall in street friendly compression ratio.

United Engine Machine IC9975.030: Chrysler 340ci FHR Forged Pistons Flat Top 2V | JEGS

Or the hypers work great as well, I've run them now for well over a decade in my 340.

United Engine Machine KB243.030: Chrysler 340ci Hypereutectic Pistons Flat Top | JEGS

-
Back