pitman arm help?

-

dustinmoran91

Reaction score
i have a 70-71 duster with manual steering and i swapped the k member and disk brakes from a 73 duster and when i ordered all my tie rods, ball joints, idler arm and pitman arm i ordered them for the 73. now the problem... the 73 pitman arm wont fit my 70-71 steering box splines because the arm hole is to small, but from what ive read im confused because some say the 73 box had the bigger shaft and some say the pre-73 had it and others say there are three sector shaft sizes lol. which pitman arm do i need to order? have the moog pitman arm for the 73 but its to small. do i need the pre-73?

What year is your steering box? I did the same swap on a 67 barracuda and had no problems.

i dont know, it was on the car when i got it. thats one of the reasons im unsure. i ordered the moog k7075 pitman arm and the spline hole is to small.

what drag year drag link are you using also?....it changed in 73 also...if you orderd parts for a 73 and are using the 71 drag link you are going to have problems also..

what is the part number on the pitman arm?

i have a drag link for the 70 and the 73. will the 73 idler arm fit both drag links? can i use the 70 pitman arm with the 73 idler arm and drag link? if i was to start from scratch what would i need to do to make these parts fit? as in part numbers or years to fit?

how the pittman arm and idler arm enter the drag link changed in 73... so the taper in the drag link is different.

according to bigblockdart i have the small sector shaft box so that confused me even more because if its the small sector then shouldnt my pitman arm be to big?

unless the pittman arm that is in the box is the wrong one...

lol that is exactly my luck... except that if it was boxed wrong then how could i have the small shaft steering box but the pitman arm not fit? it would either be to big or fit right?

Maybe i have some super rare steering box and its worth enough to cover buying a new box and pitman arm with enough left over for a pepsi! Or i ould just be screwed until someone whos had this problem chimes in to help educate both of us lol

Manual steering or power steering ? If the nut that holds the pitman arm on measures 1&5/16 you have 73 up steering gear. You would need the correct drag link and idler arm with it. Those arms would appear to fit the wrong drag link if it was pieces together upside down. It wont work that way though.

Lol i already gave it to my brother for his 73 duster (hope it fits lol).
also my new nut from fastenal measures 1 1/4" so that means i have the 72 down small shaft box right? If so why wasnt the 73 up big shaft pitman arm to big? I may be misunderstanding something somewhere so sorry for that....

For original parts The smaller shaft and thread diameter uses the smaller nut. I dont know if fastenal has the same as OEM though.

im pretty frustrated at this point because ive ordered pitman and idler arms for both the 70-72 and the 73-76 dusters and neither of these will fit my manual steering box :mumum: i followed the link above and it says i have a small sector box based on the shape of the top plate but the stupid sector shaft is to big for both pitman arms :wack: anyone have ideas? i cant afford any more mistakes at this point....

im pretty frustrated at this point because ive ordered pitman and idler arms for both the 70-72 and the 73-76 dusters and neither of these will fit my manual steering box :mumum: i followed the link above and it says i have a small sector box based on the shape of the top plate but the stupid sector shaft is to big for both pitman arms :wack: anyone have ideas? i cant afford any more mistakes at this point....

Yes, how about some very detailed good pictures to help us help you.

ok, sorry its a pain for me to upload pictures now but ill try my best at. also is it possible to put a large sector shaft into a small sector body?

Thanks for all the input you guys i REALLY appreciated all of it. But to make it simple and avoid the most likely innevitable, i just got a different steering box lol ran out to my secret stash of cars and pulled one off a crossmember that was layin around. Got it on and after informing oreillys their rental pitman arm puller sucked i bought their better one and after a couple more hours got everything in! I now have steering! Whoo hoo lol glad i didnt have a motor in or that would have been hell in the 110 degree heat

-
Back