Planning a Route 66 drive? Here's the current gas prices along the way.

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
An editorial article in today's Orange County Register newspaper detailed the reasons for the high cost of gasoline in California.
Included in the article was the current average cost of a gallon of regular-grade gas on Tuesday (10/17/23) in the states that Route 66 runs through from Chicago to Santa Monica:

$3.61 in Illinois
$3.27 in Missouri
$3.19 in Oklahoma
$3.01 in Texas
$3.51 in New Mexico
$4.28 in Arizona
$5.57 in California

Still planning that trip?

"Detailed the reasons" yet you list the prices, not those reasons....
01 13 pcnt.png

What are the bullshit reasons?
The special "California only" blend of gas? As if other states are somehow different enough to warrant a radically different gasoline blend that costs $2.00 more than they use in other states?

View attachment 1716155646

The special "California only" blend of gas? As if other states are somehow different enough to warrant a radically different gasoline blend that costs $2.00 more than they use in other states?
And I get pissy when it goes over $3 here. You just live in the wrong part of the country. It's $2.92 this morning at Sam's.

I'd still do the trip knowing I'll blow a bunch on gas.

3.39 in town, down from 3.79 a week ago.

Route 66 runs through Needles, Ludlow, and Barstow, in california.
My last trip through those three, for diesel for my pickup:
Barstow $6
Ludlow (middle of nowhere, Cali desert) $7.50
Needles (needless! Three miles from az diesel at $5) $7.99 9/10. I guess the didn't have an "8" to put on the sign.....
87 octane gasoline runs about half a buck less/gallon.

Maybe list the prices of a "sody water" beside each, for comparison.

1 gal Gas - $3.20 . . 8oz - Monster Energy/Red Bull - $2.50

Last edited:

I felt the most interest would be the price of gas in the individual states, not the reasons for the way-too-high prices in California.

But since you've asked, here's a summary of the reasons given in the article why gas prices are so much higher in California:
* The cost of crude oil is the biggest driver of gasoline prices, but that doesn’t explain the cost differential as you go over state borders
* Policy choices are the difference. In California, a long list of policy choices are contributing to the high price of gasoline. Even the worldwide price of crude oil is affected by California policy choices.
* The decisions to cut back oil production and import oil from other countries have an effect on supply and demand. In 1986,California production peaked at 402.23 million barrels of oil. That was 59.4% of all the oil that went to California refineries. That same year, foreign imports of oil to California totaled only 36.87 million barrels, just 5.5% of the oil refined in California. The rest came from Alaska. Last year, after decades of grinding the domestic oil and gas industry with restrictions and lectures, oil production in California was down to 136 million barrels, or 25.8%of the oil refined in the state. Another 80.25 million barrels came from Alaska, and 311.53 million barrels were imported from countries including Saudi Arabia and Iraq. That’s 59% of the oil refined in California coming into the state from foreign sources instead of local production. Even as recently as 2017,California’s local production provided 31.3% of the oil that went to California refineries. But there’s no sign that anyone in Sacramento would like to reverse the downward trend, so you can expect the grinding, the restrictions and the hypocritical lectures to continue.
* Other policy choices contribute to the high price of gasoline in California, like the 58 cents per gallon in state taxes, on top of federal taxes. The most recent legislation raising gas taxes in the state also included an annual inflation adjustment, so when prices go up and inflation goes up, drivers get slammed twice. California also requires refineries to buy permits for emitting greenhouse gases, part of a program run by the California Air Resources Board. This regulatory scheme adds varying amounts to the price of all energy in the state, and the money that’s paid for the permits goes into a fund in the state Treasury, just like a tax. Lawmakers decide how they’re going to spend the money, just like a tax. But the courts have said it’s not a tax. That worked out well for the California High-Speed Rail Authority. The ballot measure that authorized the initial debt financing for the project prohibited any tax increase or public subsidy, but the boondoggle caught a break with the court ruling, because it meant the money we’re paying in the price of gasoline and diesel for these permits could be used to build the bullet train. And that’s exactly what’s happening. Twenty-five percent of the revenue that goes into the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund is routed to the High-Speed Rail Authority to pay the high salaries of its executives, the paintings and animations used to show how great it’s going to be, and he cost of constructing the infrastructure on the route that is definitely not San Francisco to Los Angeles. Other factors, like smog-reduction regulations, also contribute to the cost.

I don't even look anymore. I don't compare prices much for food either. I just average out my (pretty much) fixed income over a month or two or six and it is what it is.

Now car parts, well.......i got to keep an eye on you gougers out there :poke: :rofl:

I can't wait to sort out this barracuda and do a long distance cruise!!

Doesn't matter what it costs. When ya need it, ya buy it.....or stay where ya are.

Last edited:
One of the reasons why I enjoy driving my 2 cars. They're not hot rods but they do get almost 20 mpg. I don't need a car that can do a block long burnout. That would just get me into trouble.

I saw 3.04 the other day but didn't need it.

Was happy to pay 3.08 when I did.

Most everywhere is 3.11-3.14 today...

...except a couple places have 3.01-3.03.

318/904/2.76 3700# 15 MPG city/mixed, still can do a one wheel 20 foot or more burnout with a little power brake help, and about 5 feet with just the accelerator.

One of the reasons why I enjoy driving my 2 cars. They're not hot rods but they do get almost 20 mpg. I don't need a car that can do a block long burnout. That would just get me into trouble.

How about a block long burnout AND 25mpg on the highway?
Last time we drove over to CA it took 10 gallons for 250 miles.
5.9 Magnum and 42RH overdrive with converter lockup and 3:55 in the back.
80 mph at 2,300 rpm.

Now you're just gloating.

:poke:

Now you're just gloating.

:poke:

Yep, but in all honesty it doesn’t get that any more.
I swapped the Edelbrock 1406 for a Holley 770 Street Avenger and it dropped some.

But the around town power went up. :D

How about a block long burnout AND 25mpg on the highway?
Last time we drove over to CA it took 10 gallons for 250 miles.
5.9 Magnum and 42RH overdrive with converter lockup and 3:55 in the back.
80 mph at 2,300 rpm.
Best of both worlds.

While not as bad as California, we seem to follow all the same treads so it's been like $4.80 for 87 around here. Went up maybe $0.75 to $1.00 suddenly last spring when some climate law went into effect, despite our "leaders" swearing (flat out lying) it wouldn't affect the little guy. Down to $4.26 couple of days ago. Goody.

We have actually driven the 20 extra miles to buy gas in Idaho before when we were close anyways. $0.80 difference on a fill up was like $10 saved even with the extra gas to get there. Plus I like the fact that at least some of my tax dollars didn't go to support Washington State.

This is partly why I want a G3/T56 in my car. My Challenger got 25mpg on the highway and was the fastest thing I've every owned despite the high curb weight (I know, my bar is pretty low). Why not have 400+ HP and 25mpg if possible?

Maybe list the prices of a "sody water" beside each, for comparison.

1 gal Gas - $3.20 . . 8oz - Monster Energy/Red Bull - $2.50
Okay. Diesel is $5 here in AZ, drinking water is 20 cents. What's your point? Soda is high priced? Sure is. Soda I bought under Trump was $5/case. Now it's $8.24. 66% higher, so ONLY a 22% increase per year of bidumb. 8% my smelly white ***.

I stored my car in Pennsylvania after doing a cross country drive last summer (6000 miles) and will pick it up and drive back across the country to home in Washington State after Carlisle in July 2024. Living in WA where gas is expensive, the gas on most of 66 seems cheap. The cost of your gas is not the big cost of driving the car. Buying or building your car, mechanical upkeep, insurance, and on a long trip, eating and having a place to stay are the big expenses of a road trip.

Now let me address the apples and oranges issues of gas prices. In WA we pay a lot of state gas taxes. We don't pay any state income tax and the roads have to be kept up somehow since the fairy godmother of roads doesn't seem to be up to the task. I think this is fair because those who use the roads most pay the most for roadwork. It also means that when you come to WA from out of state and drive all over the place, you pay for roadwork too.

-
Back