Playing Nevada's Smog Game

-
maybe you could use an electric air pump for an inflatable raft, friggin pump the cat full of air, maybe it would burn off all pollution gasses.

This idea has merit. The whole game is to reduce the PPM of offending gasses. The air pump normally installed provides air to complete exhaust gas burning downstream of the combustion chamber. The engine driven air pump does not provide a lot of volume (cfm) or pressure.

It would take something like a squirrel cage blower or a turbine to get the needed volume. If a high volume of "fresh air" were introduced into the exhaust system with the engine running, it would dilute the offending gasses, potentially getting them below the PPM threshold that would cause the vehicle to fail the smog check.

FWIW: Cars & light trucks have to pass smog test in certain "non-attainment areas" until they are more than 25 model years old here in the Lone Star. After that, it only needs to pass the safety inspection. I look at it as a reward for keeping the car out of the crusher for 25 years.

I've seen guys squirt a mist of water into the air intake while the test is running. I don't know how it works, but it has been enough to get some cars that were close through the test.

due to delays i can not control like ...hot weather .....drag racing...checking brakes on daughter's SUV...

I finally got around to puting the engine in....well sort of..

got old engine hoist out....and engine went in...and during the process on aligning it all up the ram on my hoist died....the engine hoist is about 20 yrs old and sits outside all the time.

a trip to Harbor freight on Friday..buy ram...buy wrong one....trip to harbor freight on saturday..to get right ram...

finally this afternoon engine is in and bolted down...needed to get things hookup and should be running in a couple of days...unless something else comes up...

I would just do the catalytic converter on it just for the smog then take it off once you pass. My brother does that with his 78 el camino. Luckily my dart is exempt in california, since any car made in 1975 or before is exempt from smog in california. It's lovely.

due to delays i can not control like ...hot weather .....drag racing...checking brakes on daughter's SUV...

I finally got around to puting the engine in....well sort of..

got old engine hoist out....and engine went in...and during the process on aligning it all up the ram on my hoist died....the engine hoist is about 20 yrs old and sits outside all the time.

a trip to Harbor freight on Friday..buy ram...buy wrong one....trip to harbor freight on saturday..to get right ram...

finally this afternoon engine is in and bolted down...needed to get things hookup and should be running in a couple of days...unless something else comes up...

That sounds like my usual luck. Never enough time in the day.

Cat, Cat, Cat!
Mine wouldn't pass. In Co. pass it once, get a 10 year collector plate and as long as you don't let the plates expire you never have to have it tested again.
I bought a cat from NAPA #15036, put it on, drove straight to the test, passed it, drove straight home and put it on the shelf for the next car.

Worked for me.

after a few problems...like heater hose not tight on the intake...leaking water..

then i had the distributor in 180 degrees...gee...

and then rear float stuck open on holley...junk in the trunk...

fired the 360 up this afternoon...did the usuall cam break in...

ever since i bought these aluminum pully set...these thing have squeal like a pig, gotta get rid of them...and I have a header leak...reused old gaskets...

with that erson 208/214 cam it really rumbles....LOL

welll gotta go fix my daughters A/C on my old dodge she drives which happens to be on the other side of town......probably wont get this Duster smog for a couple of more weeks since i am going to Sacramento later this week...

Personally I would get a 50's or even 40's car and build it the way I feel is best. Then you need to wear no dumb seat belt either. But you could put in a racing seat belt that might do some real good, not just quickly kill you in a wreck to save the insurance companies money, its cheaper for them if you die on impact or a few mins later

Really? You dont wear a seat belt when driving?

This idea has merit. The whole game is to reduce the PPM of offending gasses. The air pump normally installed provides air to complete exhaust gas burning downstream of the combustion chamber. The engine driven air pump does not provide a lot of volume (cfm) or pressure.

It would take something like a squirrel cage blower or a turbine to get the needed volume. If a high volume of "fresh air" were introduced into the exhaust system with the engine running, it would dilute the offending gasses, potentially getting them below the PPM threshold that would cause the vehicle to fail the smog check.

FWIW: Cars & light trucks have to pass smog test in certain "non-attainment areas" until they are more than 25 model years old here in the Lone Star. After that, it only needs to pass the safety inspection. I look at it as a reward for keeping the car out of the crusher for 25 years.

I've seen guys squirt a mist of water into the air intake while the test is running. I don't know how it works, but it has been enough to get some cars that were close through the test.

I used to do smogs and most states adopt the IM240 test, well unless they adopted something newer. This test measures O2 among Nox, Co, and HC. So If you pump the exhaust full of air it will fail. A Cat on the other hand will be very effective and judging how rich its running may not last very long. But who cares if its on only long enough to drive to a station for a test, right?

The smog laws in NM are weird. It's illegal to put a cat on a vehicle that never had one originally!
I had a "federal" model '76 280z that didn't have a converter and that thing barely passed emissions. Course unless it was real obvious, the emissions tech would probably never think to look.

Clean air package much easier to deal with.

well...finally got the alternator aligned up..no more squealing...got header pipes sealed..

been playing with carb and timing...had vacuum leak under carb...old base gasket...

then carb would not return to idle..wanted to hang...got big return spring....

had to get temp permit from dmv to drive it....

drove it last night out to LVMS to watch the wednesday night drags.....engine had started missing.....plus the kickdown linkage needed adjusted....did not want to shift into high gear unless you let off gas pedal...

so this morning...i pulled valve covers to look to see if I had one of the thousands of flat tappet cams that goes flat daily...LOL...nope..

going to due compression check...as i was removing plugs...all were beautiful except one...it was black...the gap was closed on it....plugs were new but had been in tool box for serveral years...probably missed went i put them in...

compress test showed 155-160 on all eight cylinders...

got plugs back in...fire and idles great...readjusted kickdown...thats all good again...

one more thing..was going to check idle mixture with vacuum gauge...seems like mine has walked away....picked up another this afternoon...so in morning...

check idle with vacuum gauge and plug in LM-1 with O2 sensor...and we will be ready for that fricking smog test...

besides they only gave me 5 days on the temp permit....

got to the smog station this morning....

fail idle co%.....need 3.50...and got a 3.88%

close ......but no cigar.....

Free Retest...LOL

went home and back off timing from 10 BTDC to 5 BTDC.....check metering rods on eddy afb.....had the riches one from the kit....70 x 37....

went back to the stock ones which are 75 x 47....

the guy put it on the scope to see where it was and idle co was now at 3.30....

so he ran it and it passed.....

So part one is done...i am good for a year...now i need to get the classic plate...so the car has to go to the DMV smog station to be check for those plates...

the smog tech told me to bring the car by before i go to the dmv and he will check it for me......

go down to dmv to get the tags that way i can get out of the late fees....otherwise i could register it on line...

well..as of Oct 1, 2011...Nevada changed their smog laws to allow anything older then 25 years to register as a classic car....no more smogs...but you have to pay an additional 6 dollars ....the amount of money the dmv got from the smog test....vehicle is only allowed 5000 miles a year...No big deal...

My 73 Duster now has Classic Vehicle Plates...

well..as of Oct 1, 2011...Nevada changed their smog laws to allow anything older then 25 years to register as a classic car....no more smogs...but you have to pay an additional 6 dollars ....the amount of money the dmv got from the smog test....vehicle is only allowed 5000 miles a year...No big deal...

5K miles is not very Godam much. You have to ask these lawmakers--JUST HOW MUCH SMOG does a few hotrods really make??????

Yep, just changed that. I will be taking advantage of it next year.

Just for reference on the catcon issue - My 1980 F100 would not pass - Predator carb, headers- nothing else. But in Clark County there is no visual inspection, only tailpipe emissions. They can however measure Dilution. So just pumping air in does not work.

I put a quickie Y pipe on the headers, and added a 3 way cat - with the air tube. The air pump was re-installed & plumbed straight into the tube on the cat. Normally the air would be pumped into the heads, but that was not an option. Set the timing @ 10 degrees, warmed it up good & off to test.

The standards for 1980 are fairly loose compared to current specs. The vehicle had catalyst & AIR from the factory, so they expect to see dilution.

My smog guy heard it come into the lane snuffling & grumbling (decent cam, won't idle below 1150) and asked me if I was sure I was "ready". Surprised the heck out of him. It tested about half of the 1980 standard, and could have passed 1988 standards.

The cat does run hot. It has plenty of fuel to burn, and lots of air. I would not recommend driving the crap out of it with the cat installed.

So, every year I put the Y-cat test passer on & go get it smog tested. Next year it gets classic plates on the new deal.

B.

5K miles is not very Godam much. You have to ask these lawmakers--JUST HOW MUCH SMOG does a few hotrods really make??????

Geeeez, just pull the gear and hook it back up to the tranny.

Geeeez, just pull the gear and hook it back up to the tranny.

Gee....I would have never thought of that...LOL

I am in Carson City...430 miles from where the car is parked in las vegas...I guessed at the mileage for the paper work....

-
Back