please dont kill me - just curious buick 350 into a dart?

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
i am only asking because i have a complete and running 68 buick 350 and th400 trans sitting in my garage. i started working on a 53 pilothouse rat rod and was going to use this engine in that but that project is going to take a while. i'd like to focus on the dart since it is a runner. i wouldnt tear into it till the winter as i want to enjoy it during the good weather.

sorry for the sacriligious post - just curious if it is even possible - or should i say possible without extreme engineering.

there are tons of used mopar blocks on craigslist so i know i can go that route. just figured i'd ask about the engine i have already.

dart is a 67 auto 3 speed /6

Without doing some hands-on measurement and mock-up, I'm thinking it wouldn't be worth the trouble. The Buick 350 is something like 4.5" wider than the LA small block. Width is the most challenging dimension in these engine bays.

I agree with spaz. Also, just incase in the future, you want to pepper it with performance parts, the S/B Buick is they single most hardest engine to get performance parts for. There out there. But whan you see there cost, you'll suddenly be happy owning a MoPar.

You'll have to hunt down niche perfromance places for a S/B buick. Theres a few out there.

Put it in a Jeep. The Buick 350 is an excellent engine, but not worth the hassle of fitting into an A-Body mopar. The mounts are too far back on the block, the drivers side exhaust WILL be in conflict with the steering, and the oil pump will probably not clear the k-member. The rear transmission mount will be a nightmare as well.

It would certainly cost more to install the Buick engine than it will to find a running LA+904 combo which will bolt in.

Buick 350 performance parts are quite available, I just built a Stage 1 for my truck last year. TA Performance and Poston sell anything you'll need.

sell it on craigslist and buy a cheap 318 904 combo. theyre out there for a few hundred bucks if ya look.I like pilot houses.Mines 383 727

trucks004 (Medium).jpg

Absolutely not worth the effort or the extra cost. Like others have said... Sell the Buick engine/trans combo and get a 318/360.

thanks everyone - i figured it would be both a PITA and anti-Mopar but hey when it's sitting in the garage i guess it's worth askin about. looks like it's off to flebay/craigslist!

I agree with these guys, don't do it. Too much work and fabrication and in the long run time and money. Then, if you go to sell it who is going to want a Dart with a Buick drivetrain ?

What Fu@# a Buick engine hell why not a Toyota engine...

LOL Jim

LOL, Once Toy. performance parts become cheap, that idea actually isn't so bad. Modern engines are excellent donors with a edge on the older power plants if your looking to stay "Green." But for now, theres a better idea with a HEMI hittin the yard these days.

I wonder what the price difference would be?

-
Back