Please help I’m Stuck It’s been 5 months

-
Choke plate stuck open. Or not connected. Or adjusted incorrectly.
You are smart enough to find fabo, and ask questions, and got lots of great answers.
I see this differently. Get a factory service manual. Details on wiring, and concise information regarding the carburetor/fuel /ignition systems.
Im a lifelong mechanic,and prefer to have a manual to refer to from time to time.

I hate buying ne parts to fix a problem when those parts were not the problem. But let me add this IF we want a dependable car to actuallly drive somewhere, there are parts that must be in good condition and working well. Does not mean they have to be NEW but working well. example: The carb does not have to be new, just working well, if carb is the problem, either lern to clean and rebuild it or build it or buy new. The new sometimes now days is not GOOD! Always nice to start with some new parts, like a ballast resistor ( always have a spare), coil does not have to be new, just HOT!, a dist. that works properly etc.
Like said, NO ONE is born with this knowledge, we all have to learn and most of us keep on learning every day. One good thing is that this site is packed full of knowlegable people and they will share and help anyone that cries out for some help. It is all fun and when you do fix a even a small problem or learn even a small new skill, it really makes you feel good does it not!?? Just think how good you feel when you do something really large!

question, in 1970, mopar , had to push clutch in and have trans in reverse before it would start. did you look at that system? it can be bypassed. also, might need bit more timing to start easier. just food for thought

.........And there's an old but good thread by AbodyJoe on this with photos

How To Install an Ignition Switch in 1970 Dodge Dart

It is ALSO possible that the switch IS NOT BAD which is why you need to do some checks first. There are several areas of concern and we here can step you through this

1.....Even though this is a 73, it might have the 74 seat belt interlock which I mentioned earlier
2.....There could easily be a wiring problem, a bad connection in the bulkhead / firewall connector, or at the ignition switch connector
3.....Depending on how the push button is wired, there could be a problem with the neutral safety switch wiring, with the switch, or simply the transmission linkage not properly adjusted
4.....And of course it can actually be a bad ignition switch
Thanks! Bro
OK, great, making progress. You can just leave that as it is now so long as the connection you made is good (like not just a jumper wire with bare ends). I is a ground so there isn't any worry about sparks and such, but there is of corrosion and the wiring losing contact so you should have good ends at least crimped on (I crimp and solder all of my wires).

What do you mean by "so what do I do now what is wrong here"?

So now onto trying to get it to start and run; first thing you need to do is check to see if the carb has fuel, you do this by looking into with a flash light (definitely NOT an open flame like a lighter); with your hand work the throttle lever (part connected to the cable that moves when you push the gas pedal). You should see some gas squirt into the carb. If you do not, then the carb is not getting gas, if you do then of course it is and you can move on.

Understand that these old Mopars all have personalities to a degree, some like a lot of fuel to start, others not so much. The carb has a choke on it (little plate on the on the inside of the carb near the top), when the car/engine is cold that plate should be closed or near closed (this causes the engine vacuum to draw in more fuel to start and run when it is cold). You can actually simulate this by placing your hand over the carb when it is cranking (either someone else turning the key or using a remote starter button).

As I said before, everything is a system and in order to get the engine to run, it must have air, fuel, spark and compression. If the carb is getting gas, then its a matter of determining if it is getting enough. Normally you would put some gas into a bottom or small can and pour some into the carb (right now the top). You should not need a whole lot but not a few drops either, probably something like you think of would be a "mouthful" if you were drinking something. If you put too much the engine will be flooded and you will need to wait and let it evaporate or in come cases you can hold the gas pedal to the floor completely opening the choke and crank it and sometimes they will start. You can also pull the spark plugs and crank it over a little which pushes the air/fuel out the holes and makes it dry out faster; personally I would just wait.

Assuming you are getting fuel and it still doesn't want to run, you will need to turn to the spark side of things, but lets not get ahead of ourselves since it has run previously I suspect that this is just a fuel issue at the moment.

Just for fun, you need to pour some fuel down the carb as I mentioned before messing with the filter or anything else. If it fires but will not run, then you can start to try and figure out why it isn't getting fuel and at that point the filter would be the first stop.

I’m pumped! It’s on I’ll hop on the carb tomorrow morning! Fingers crossed! I got a fuel filter. But I couldn’t seem to find one on my car? Just a fuel line directed connected to the Carb so I just added this wix fuel filter I got from O’reillys in place of the straight line. Is that the correct spot? A little Gas came out of the hose.

@RamCharger TEXAS

Where are you located ?
OK, great, making progress. You can just leave that as it is now so long as the connection you made is good (like not just a jumper wire with bare ends). I is a ground so there isn't any worry about sparks and such, but there is of corrosion and the wiring losing contact so you should have good ends at least crimped on (I crimp and solder all of my wires).

What do you mean by "so what do I do now what is wrong here"?

So now onto trying to get it to start and run; first thing you need to do is check to see if the carb has fuel, you do this by looking into with a flash light (definitely NOT an open flame like a lighter); with your hand work the throttle lever (part connected to the cable that moves when you push the gas pedal). You should see some gas squirt into the carb. If you do not, then the carb is not getting gas, if you do then of course it is and you can move on.

Understand that these old Mopars all have personalities to a degree, some like a lot of fuel to start, others not so much. The carb has a choke on it (little plate on the on the inside of the carb near the top), when the car/engine is cold that plate should be closed or near closed (this causes the engine vacuum to draw in more fuel to start and run when it is cold). You can actually simulate this by placing your hand over the carb when it is cranking (either someone else turning the key or using a remote starter button).

As I said before, everything is a system and in order to get the engine to run, it must have air, fuel, spark and compression. If the carb is getting gas, then its a matter of determining if it is getting enough. Normally you would put some gas into a bottom or small can and pour some into the carb (right now the top). You should not need a whole lot but not a few drops either, probably something like you think of would be a "mouthful" if you were drinking something. If you put too much the engine will be flooded and you will need to wait and let it evaporate or in come cases you can hold the gas pedal to the floor completely opening the choke and crank it and sometimes they will start. You can also pull the spark plugs and crank it over a little which pushes the air/fuel out the holes and makes it dry out faster; personally I would just wait.

Assuming you are getting fuel and it still doesn't want to run, you will need to turn to the spark side of things, but lets not get ahead of ourselves since it has run previously I suspect that this is just a fuel issue at the moment.

Just for fun, you need to pour some fuel down the carb as I mentioned before messing with the filter or anything else. If it fires but will not run, then you can start to try and figure out why it isn't getting fuel and at that point the filter would be the first stop.
Why what’s up? I’m in Houston, Texas

Ram Charger- No filter probably = dirty carb
How does the carb look to you? I posted a video below of me removing it.

5EF9A231-EB54-4226-A12B-E028B7CC3D8A.jpeg

824C36A9-B4B6-4051-8228-6498E56B6651.jpeg

E3D23C60-A46D-4370-8987-65BEDE950C70.jpeg

I hate buying ne parts to fix a problem when those parts were not the problem. But let me add this IF we want a dependable car to actuallly drive somewhere, there are parts that must be in good condition and working well. Does not mean they have to be NEW but working well. example: The carb does not have to be new, just working well, if carb is the problem, either lern to clean and rebuild it or build it or buy new. The new sometimes now days is not GOOD! Always nice to start with some new parts, like a ballast resistor ( always have a spare), coil does not have to be new, just HOT!, a dist. that works properly etc.
Like said, NO ONE is born with this knowledge, we all have to learn and most of us keep on learning every day. One good thing is that this site is packed full of knowlegable people and they will share and help anyone that cries out for some help. It is all fun and when you do fix a even a small problem or learn even a small new skill, it really makes you feel good does it not!?? Just think how good you feel when you do something really large!
Im glad you guys came to the rescue✊I appreciate it! It does feel good learning.

Why are you so happy it's not a fuel filter problem? The fuel filter is one of the most simple things to replace. If you dread it being a fuel filter problem, it's time to take up paper dolls.

Below is my fuel filter. The car just had a straight gas hose there no filter. Not sure why it was sold to me that way. So I got a Wix fuel filter and put it on. I hope I installed it correct. A little gas came out the Metal hose when I removed it from the carb to verify it was the fuel line.

Below is my fuel filter. The car just had a straight gas hose there no filter. Not sure why it was sold to me that way. So I got a Wix fuel filter and put it on. I hope I installed it correct. A little gas came out the Metal hose when I removed it from the carb to verify it was the fuel line.

Where did you look for a filter? Sometimes it is before the pump.

I would pul th gas tank, get rid of what could be old stinky gas an rust and dirt, clean it out good, make sure the pickup is not 40 years old, or clogged up, new repop off Fee bay is cheap Mae sure it has the ground strap. There at=re many threads on here about getting yor fuel filter to work. Hit search.
I would go to Amazon and look for a book called "auto mechanic fundamntals" by Stockel. It will tell you a lot of what you need to know, Good read for any young guy.
If this slant has points, get a set and a condenser, if not needed now keep for spare. Check it cap and rotor for obvious wear. If it has solid lifters, learn to set valve lash.
Just remember don't get overwhelmed, it takes time for anyone to get familiar with it all.

Well, that's a great car to learn on. Remember, everything you want to learn in in a service manual or book

Well, that's a great car to learn on. Remember, everything you want to learn in in a service manual or book

I just found my 1400+ service manual. I had uploaded it to my iBooks on my iPad so I can read it anywhere now thank goodness.

just remember don't get overwhelmed, it takes time for anyone to get familiar with it all.

Well said. It takes many years to learn this stuff. I would be willing to bet that everyone on this forum has at one time ,bought the wrong part, broken a part, been stumped by a problem, and wanted to scrap the whole car.

Don't let it frustrate you. Break your problems down into small parts, and methodically solve each part of the bigger problem.

If it were my car, I would get it fired up let idle up to temperature and see if it overheats, or starts pushing antifreeze out of the exhaust or any other horrible things that might need addressed before you tear into the carburetor.

But that's just me,everyone has there own method.

-
Back