Please Teach Me

-

Duster 383

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what this is ...I have never seen it before ...kinda looks like something that was made to restrict the twisting of the rear ...or maybe just a bump stop for the suspension??? I don't know ...also there's only one plug how do I drain/fill??? In the same spot ??? Or is this the fill plug View attachment 1715175534

IMG_20180513_113215337.jpg

IMG_20180513_113212376.jpg

IMG_20180513_113133380.jpg

That's an adjustable pinion snubber. It uses the axle housing twist to plant the rear tires. Most times, not needed.

Yep that's an adjustable pinion sunbber. The last picture is the fill plug. There is no drain plug. Suck out what you can or take it apart and catch what you can.

So far Everytime I have punched this thing it hooks and goes ...so its gotta be doing something right ???

So far Everytime I have punched this thing it hooks and goes ...so its gotta be doing something right ???

Yes, but the real truth is, your springs are probably worn out. Pinion snubbers usually are used with manual trans cars, or total drag cars. The SS springs don't even need them, because the front spring segment is short and thick and doubles as a traction bar. In almost every instance, the pinion snubber can be done without.

Yes, but the real truth is, your springs are probably worn out. Pinion snubbers usually are used with manual trans cars, or total drag cars. The SS springs don't even need them, because the front spring segment is short and thick and doubles as a traction bar. In almost every instance, the pinion snubber can be done without.
I have to disagree on this one. I ran a 71 BB Scamp and had new 002/003 SS springs. Strictly a drag car. Would 60' in the 1.34-1.38 range. After running the car for a season and while inspecting the car, I noticed the rear end was wrapping so hard the 8 3/4 housing had dented both shocks! Adjustable pinion snubber stopped that. It was a 727 w/4200 convertor

I have to disagree on this one. I ran a 71 BB Scamp and had new 002/003 SS springs. Strictly a drag car. Would 60' in the 1.34-1.38 range. After running the car for a season and while inspecting the car, I noticed the rear end was wrapping so hard the 8 3/4 housing had dented both shocks! Adjustable pinion snubber stopped that. It was a 727 w/4200 convertor

Ok dammit. They are the best thing since sliced bread. Damn.

Oh hell yes I love SS springs and they will damn sure make a car hook. But in my case they just weren't enough.

I run SS springs on my Scamp too and use a pinion snubber. You can see where it hits the floor. But those springs are the best thing since bread :)

If you’re running that on the street and the pin is in, it will rattle and sound like a loose brake part, and drive you crazy!! Probably why the pin is missing!

If you’re running that on the street and the pin is in, it will rattle and sound like a loose brake part, and drive you crazy!! Probably why the pin is missing!
YES! I remember that! My brother and I looked for a week for a rattle. Replaced it with a bolt and nut.

I was told this has a 3800 stall

I run SS springs on my Scamp too and use a pinion snubber. You can see where it hits the floor. But those springs are the best thing since bread :)

How do you know if you have ss springs ...I have noticed that the least leaf has 5 and the right has 4 ?? Are these SS springs ???

They are stack completely different left to right. Google a picture of SS springs and compare them to yours.

They are stack completely different left to right. Google a picture of SS springs and compare them to yours.

s.s. springs have more leaves to the front on the pass side, more to the back on the drivers side.
We ran 002/003 springs on a 3600 pound hemi belvedere, w/o a pinion snubber, every time we put one on it , it tore the snubber up. Ran just as fast w/o it. A whole bunch of spring movement because of too heavy a car, but it worked good for the sorry track surface, but way not close to perfect, the tires back then sucked compared to todays tires.
Back then, Chrysler always said, if u couldn`t match ur car weight w/ the right weight s/s springs, got to the next liter set. jfyi

Don't you think it would still be a good idea to leave the stock (real short) snubber on there? It wouldn't be cool if the rear end housing or driveshaft smashed the floorboards under full spring compession. That's why they were on there originally.

YES, The adjustable ones were for setting it with different ride heights. If it's to close it will beat the tar out of you AND the floor! You just want it to stop the differental from winding up when you get on it. Kinda like the old traction bars.

-
Back