• Build a 346 using the 318 block and MP stroker crank

Votes: 23 11.5%
  • Build another 360

Votes: 145 72.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
wow tough question!!!
after carefully reading and re-reading your post several times over and giving it a lot of thought I think I would go with the 346 stroker build, and here is why

1: you are only building a backup engine to have in the unlikely event something happens to your 360

2: your current 360 is already at your target HP with no problems

3: you already have the MP forged stroker crank, and any build will require buying pistons and machine work

4: if your block came with 302 heads then it should be roller cam

5: time is on your side, there is no rush to finish the build so you can take your time and do it right,

6: the increased compression over your stock 360 combined with a roller cam should easily out perform your current setup

my thoughts on option 1 and 2

option1: put the 318 back together and use it while you re build your 360, then put the fresh re built 360 back in

option2: why buy another 360 when you already have one, see option1
I concor.

Building a 340 would be nice,but their not cheap anymore build a simple and easy 360 and you''ll be very happy..as for that article LOL..ya' right 400 h.p. from that combo,well maybe from Westtech's dyno which is known to be VERY happy...

Just to do something that no one else was doing I built a 318 for my street driven bracket 3200# early a dart.I ported my own heads(302's) and used domed pistons to get about 11.3:1 compression. I used a .500 lift comp XE-274 solid cam. The car ran great, but even with 4.30 gears and a 2800 stall converter, it struggled on the low-end torque. So I voted for the 360, because even though you can build a 318 to run strong and make good HP, you will need steep gears and a loose converter to help the lack of low end torque. If you can live on the street with that, go for the teen!

To me, the 360 idea is a tad boring......I'd probably go with a maximum overbored 318. I've heard guys having their 318 blocks sonic-checked and then going over .100, making it nearly equivalent to a 340. Scary, I know. But there's something cool about a screamer 318, maybe with 360 heads, and all "on the cheap" with factory parts. Depends what your max $$ limit is, because you'd need some good pistons to up the compression with those 360 heads.

I beileve it is Hennsely that is taking sonic checked 318's to a 4 inch bore and giving it a 4 inch arm.

I like 360's but I haven't owned one yet. Everyone builds 360's now. That is pretty much the norm. Maybe I am biased because my 68 'Cuda came with a 318, and the dude before me put in a hotter than stock cam, 360 J heads, and an iron 4 BBL manifold. I tell you what, that little 318 ran great and revved like hell. I like to see a guy with a well built 318 keeping up with the 360 guys. So I kept my 318 and freshened 'er up with new rings and bearings, got some RHS 62cc heads from Brian to up the compression a bit, Hughes 1.5 roller rockers, edelbrock performer RPM manifold, and a performer RPM cam. (I know, most do not like that cam, lazily ground, lots of duration, and old technology) But it's what I had so I used it. Been sitting on the shelf for 8 years. lol

Anyways, my engine SHOULD run very well...Time will tell...lol

I just like the idea that 318's are basically free and.....you could probably damn near afford a solid roller valvetrain with all the money you save from buying a 340. WIN!

I tell you what, that little 318 ran great and revved like hell. I like to see a guy with a well built 318 keeping up with the 360 guys.

I'd like to see it too :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

I would build the 318. Because I like to rev the PISS outta an engine. They have steel cranks. That's a plus. I also like to rub it in that a 318 just spanked your ***. LOL

I would build the 318. Because I like to rev the PISS outta an engine. They have steel cranks. That's a plus. I also like to rub it in that a 318 just spanked your ***. LOL

LOL:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

bwahahahahaha now thats funny. what would you say to a 650cc engine that kicked your 318's ***?

bwahahahahaha now thats funny. what would you say to a 650cc engine that kicked your 318's ***?

Nuthin because it couldn't do it bein in somethin that weighed the same. Other than that, it's apples and oranges.

This is entertaining watching you people go back and forth....:happy1:

I should have my 3.55s in by the end of February, then I can see just how the current engine really runs. That will give me a bit of insight to what might happen down the road.

This is how it runs now, and I'm not really complaining.

I had a 318 in my 69, added 360 heads (Milled .100 down to try to get some compression) holley 4 barrell, dual exhaust and a mild Comp cam. Worked all right but not spectacular. Should have run a higher stall converter for the cam.

Then I had a 360 built with a 4" stroker crank, roller cam and a bunch of other stuff - This is a fun motor - idles at 650 RPM, lots of vaccum, (Power Brakes), and the best part is the torque. over 400 ft.lbs from 2500 RPM and over 518 ft.lbs peak. IMHO there is no replacment for displacement. The most fun I have ever had driving a car.

Attachments

• IMG_1893.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 149
Just my thought. Build a 360 stroker, with the hopes of 450-500 hp.
I got a 340 in the Duster. Was told .030 over, MP cam, 484 lift, KB pistons.
Dont know the numbers on the pistons. It has stock late 340-360 stock
heads.
On the calulator, with the weight of the car and what I run the quarter
in. It come out to about 375 hp.
If I build another motor for it. It will be a stroked 360/ 408 at least.
Just my 2 cents worth.

72% for the 360..wow.

I guess I should keep an eye out for a late model roller 360. Should take me all of 5 minutes to find one around here. :-D

I had a 318 in my 69, added 360 heads (Milled .100 down to try to get some compression) holley 4 barrell, dual exhaust and a mild Comp cam. Worked all right but not spectacular. Should have run a higher stall converter for the cam.

Then I had a 360 built with a 4" stroker crank, roller cam and a bunch of other stuff - This is a fun motor - idles at 650 RPM, lots of vaccum, (Power Brakes), and the best part is the torque. over 400 ft.lbs from 2500 RPM and over 518 ft.lbs peak. IMHO there is no replacment for displacement. The most fun I have ever had driving a car.

What cam did you run in that stroker?

Nice car. Voted for the 360 as it is the cheapest choice for reaching HP goals.

Boring? Does getting shoved back in the seat when you punch the loud pedal ever get boring? If it puts a grin on your face, who cares? It's even better when you realize you didn't throw a ton of money at it and you're not pushing it within a few rpm of its life when you tap the power reserves.

What cam did you run in that stroker?
I don't have the cam card in my wallet like some guys, but it is a Comp Cams Hydraulic roller that worked out to about .565 lift with 1.7:1 roller rockers (i used the Magnum Heads). I could have gone one step up but the limit for stock Edlebrock heads is .575 without some extra work. The steep ramp rate on the roller cam reduces duration so there is less overlap. This makes the Idle less lumpy and gives ton's of torque at the bottom end. I miss the lope of the longer duration Hyd. flat tappet cam I had in it at first, but I lost 2 cams even after carefull break in (Shell Rottella T plus Additive and assembly lube!). Wasn't going to take the chance the third time.

-
Back