Poor mans Hemi car. (M-body)

-
Progress looks great, and awesome build! Can't wait for more pics of that Hemi install.

Also if you get a chance, could you post pics of the Coronet?

Don't see very many 2-door Diplomats!

No, you don't. Even over on dippy.org it's full of 4-doors like mine. But even the 4 doors are getting hard to find in my area, thanks to the demolition derbies :angry1:. Which makes it nice to see them being brought back to life :toothy7:!

Well theres the new v8 k frame and front suspension. Looks like its time for another trip to the sand blaster.I cut this frame up alittle bit about 15 years ago to fit a 400 in my Volare Roadrunner. So once I get it clean I'll have to do a little welding, patching, and then some painting. hope to have it done by next weekend but works getting alittle busy so we'll see.

DSC02390 (2).jpg

Well its been awhile since I've gotten anything done.Been busy with work and stuff. But today was a nice warm day so I got a few things done. Tore down the front suspension, cleaned and painted the sway bar, caliper brackets,center link and spindels. Also welded in a patch to cover the big hole in the K frame. I cut off the lip on the K frame many years ago to fit in a 400 in my Volare just never finished it. I had 3 front ends for these cars and I didn't have a good set of control arms in the bunch. I ordered a nice looking set off of e-bay and when they show up I'll send the K frame and control arms out to be blasted. Just received the new polygraphite bushings and ball joints from P-S-T and am about to place an order for new brake rotors and calipers and what ever else I need to finish the front suspension. I hope to have this thing back on all four wheels by spring. While waiting for parts I started to coat the inside of the frame with cavity wax I got from Eastwood. This is a nice kit and works well (you can never do enough rustproofing).

DSC02411 (2).jpg

DSC02412 (2).jpg

DSC02413 (2).jpg

DSC02414 (2).jpg

DSC02416 (2).jpg

So does that car use torsion bars? Sorry I have no clue..thats gonna be cool when its done, paint looks good, going for a sleeper look? Or what are the exterior plans?

M bodies use "L" shaped torsion bars. They mount on the lower control arm and run across the front of the K frame.The plan is to keep the exterior pretty much stock, but plans change all the time.

So does that car use torsion bars? Sorry I have no clue..thats gonna be cool when its done, paint looks good, going for a sleeper look? Or what are the exterior plans?

Yup, if you take a look at the pics of the K-frame the two "L" shaped things laying with it are the t-bars. Once upon a time someone hit upon this idea as a good front end for street rods, since the upper shock mounts bolt in, swing down and four bolts drop the entire front suspension set up. The t-bars, disk brakes, power steering, V8 engine mounts (or slant six, but if you're looking to build a hot rod you'd look for the V8) all self-contained on one unit. Heavier than say a Mustang II piece, but since Aspens, Volares, Diplomats, and J-body Cordobas and Miradas were dime a dozen the K-frames were fairly cheap. It's not hard to fit 'em up to older full frame rails, and with just a little plumbing on the brake lines, and a steering link to the column you have all the benefits of home. With just four bolts.

Back to dla: that's the nice thing about the M's, even in two door form. They're looked as granny cars, even the old cops, and make nice sleepers. Was a kid around here who modified a 5th Ave with a Dip header panel, put a nice 360 in it, duals, and liked to stalk the 5.0L Fox body Moosewangs and the Crapmaros. No one took him seriously until...:-D

Gee, is that a prototype 5.7 Hemi ??

Nice looking project. It remimds me of the guy that did a 440 6 Pak in a Dippy wagon a while back.

Very cool.
I love the Dippys, and I have never seen a 2dr in person.
I didn't even realize they made them...
I pondered buying a Dippy for my first car, but decided I wanted something with airbags and maybe a few more options, hence my Intrepid (and eventually Intrepids)
Still very attractive cars though!

Well its been awhile and I haven't got a lot done but the k-frame is back in and I've gotten a start on the front suspension.The rubber k-frame mounts were replaced with aluminum blocks. Everything has been blasted and painted with POR-15, all the ball joints and bushings are new from P-S-T, shocks are KYBs. Tomorrow I hope to get the torsion bars in, finish the front suspension and start on the brakes. Or maybe I'll just stay in bed all day.

DSC02517 (2).jpg

DSC02520 (2).jpg

DSC02518 (2).jpg

DSC02519 (2).jpg

DSC02515 (2).jpg

Lookin' good! Here I was thinking about giving this page a bump and asking if you had anything to update us on and lo' and behold.

I may slow down once in awhile, but I haven't given up yet.

I may slow down once in awhile, but I haven't given up yet.

Just living vicariously. My garage is too small to park my Dip project in for the winter and still be able to use it for other things if the needs arise. (Like blown head gaskets on a minivan and a Neon coming up.) So mine sits on the covered patio waiting.

I feel your pain. Last year mine was in a tent for the winter, this year my bike sits on the porch to make room for the Diplomat.

Well, you've giving me some inspiration anyway. I think the header panel will be coming off this week and I'll be taking a look at the marker light lenses I have to use the best ones. The header panel has a small crack in it and two of the studs are stripped out. I can take care of that in the basement on my work bench. Maybe get the tail lights out and get those prepped for resto. I'm trying to find a good left one. Every one I've ever owned has had a crack in it...

If you find two good ones let me know, mine is cracked also. Last year I bid on N.O.S. lenses and only got the right one (the one I don't really need).

Having problems finding just the one. I've junked three M-bodies in the past year and all three had a busted or cracked left tail light.

-
Back