• SS and AFX

Votes: 28 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
so i just want to say i always wanted to be lw enforcement... my Great Uncle was LAPD, and started a division called the "Gangster Squad" and my dad is a Vietnam Era Vet and was D.O.D... so i have a family history a mile long of Law Enforcement...

Anyways...

i was pulled over today by Hwy Patrol for a cracked windsheild which he was cool and just gave me a warning... but we were talking and he said that there were 40 openings for the first time in 4 years...

now i planned on becoming Hwy Patrol or sheriff dept. before HS... i took Criminal justice and rid-a-longs yadda yadda...

so what im asking is with all the great benifits, great pay, great retirement and i get a personal car! how bad *** is that!

now i will not stop doing my car stuff as its a passion of mine... but with everything i would gain i could get a shop built and be able to not sweat month to month...

what do you think?

I think you should do which ever job you want and makes the happiest

I think it's a great move. My brother is a retired Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy and he was suited for the job. Good retirement has allowed him to travel.

Just make sure you get to drive a Charger!

I think you should do which ever job you want and makes the happiest

exactly... i mean... working for SS and AFX is and will be one of the greatest learning experiences of my life... and i wont leave unless i have a really good Career lined up...

I think it's a great move. My brother is a retired Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy and he was suited for the job. Good retirement has allowed him to travel.

the badge means alot to me... it holds alot of value to me...

Just make sure you get to drive a Charger!

haha right! mopar or no car!

Highway Patrol can be dangerous. For a while it seemed like every day I was reading of some Psycho shooting a State Trooper. I still recommend doing it but never ever let your guard down. And never pull over Mopars :toothy8:

Highway Patrol can be dangerous. For a while it seemed like every day I was reading of some Psycho shooting a State Trooper. I still recommend doing it but never ever let your guard down. And never pull over Mopars :toothy8:

amen...

I wanted a had a very good chance of being a Huntsville police but I hurt my back so I couldnt take the test. I would go for the cop job. I went into work this morning a quit. I was tired of pay cuts of over 20k a year and the company making double what they were making.

I wanted a had a very good chance of being a Huntsville police but I hurt my back so I couldnt take the test. I would go for the cop job. I went into work this morning a quit. I was tired of pay cuts of over 20k a year and the company making double what they were making.

well luckly Its just greg and me so its a tight ship but still he is 63 and may only have a couple more years... so i think that i may find a Great, Stable, and honorable job...

Hell yeah, when was the last time you heard Law enforcement getting laid off! Plus the pension is the ****! Sheriff or Deputy does first few years in the pokey so might want to brace yourself for some BS babysitting job for your first gig. How about Border Patrol? Phoenix must have a huge Homeland Security detail. My old boss got laid off and he is in the academy now, super cool dude, dont know if he has it in him to be a dick...just kidding...Do it!

Hell yeah, when was the last time you heard Law enforcement getting laid off! Plus the pension is the ****! Sheriff or Deputy does first few years in the pokey so might want to brace yourself for some BS babysitting job for your first gig. How about Border Patrol? Phoenix must have a huge Homeland Security detail. My old boss got laid off and he is in the academy now, super cool dude, dont know if he has it in him to be a dick...just kidding...Do it!

Go for the dream. Here you can retire in 20 years with full pension execpt insurance. My wifes ex-boss worked for three different agencies so drew retirement from each plus his social security.

Can I have your job at SS & A/FX? I was one of those who suggested going there in the first place...

I think you'd be absolutely nuts to give up working there. Whatever benefits and job security you get will never add up to how cool a job you have now.

Let's see, build altered wheelbase and S/S cars for a living or be a cop...

Don't want to bust your bubble but i had a cop in the family and have no use for them. Seems to me they are just grownup hall monitors from school trying to find someone doing anything wrong so they can squeal on them. I would rather take my chances and protect myself ( you don't bother me and i won't bother you). Just my opinion so all you haters don't even jump my case cause i won't even come back to read what you wrote. Do as you see fit just remember you have to look yourself in mirror every day.

HP for sure.

Never forget the time back in 76. Had a Scirocco. Took this big right hand sweeper off the 280 to the 17 toward the coast. Entered at around 85 and exited touching 100 in a full drift, right in front of one of those 440 HP Dodge Cruisers. I mean I came out right in front of him. Maybe 5 car lengths ahead. So I did not hesitate. Just put my right signal on and pulled over an he followed. Back then it was cool to get out of the car which I did. I was in a suit as I was headed for a business meeting even though it was Saturday. So I say to him as he gets out of his car. " Good Morning ! " He replies likewise. He then takes a moment and follows with. " Ya were going pretty fast through that turn. " To which I replied. " Yeah I like the turn. " It takes another pause and says. " Oh OK " " Well have a nice day " Then he gets in that big Dodge and lights em up as if to say. " I like to go fast too. " LOL True story.

I didn't see man ***** in the choices. That's what I vote for.

Hey 805, I've been a cop for 20 years. Started out with local P.D. then moved to the Sheriff Office, all the while worked on my flying creds. Finally got all of the ratings and applied for a State Police flying job and was lucky enough to get hired. I can retire next year at 55 with a great penison. There are cops that are dicks but just don't forget your roots and you will probably make a great cop. Just treat people the way you want to be treated. I say, go for it. Jerry

If you have the opportunity of getting in, Do it !!!
But just be cool when you get in.......:D

Give it a shot, you won't regret it.
As of September I'll have 32 years of combined State Police/Federal Service to look back on, and it's been a great career.

If I haden't been such a big pothead until 5 years ago, now 44, I woulda joined the force. There are way too many cops, which in my humble opinion, were picked on as kids, now have a chip on there shoulder to bully people around. When I lived in Indiapolis, IN every cop had an attitude. Once I moved south, I have never had a problem with them...got a cop buddy now as well. Don't forget, there's a reason they all wear bullet proof vests.

Can I have your job at SS & A/FX? I was one of those who suggested going there in the first place...

I think you'd be absolutely nuts to give up working there. Whatever benefits and job security you get will never add up to how cool a job you have now.

Let's see, build altered wheelbase and S/S cars for a living or be a cop...

i totally agree! but as i said my boss is 62 and only has a couple of years left in the shop... and im making a livable amount of money now but the auto world is not in good shape...

i would like to be able to build a shop and work on my house... but i just dont think that i will make enough to do so...

I didn't see man ***** in the choices. That's what I vote for.

lol

Don't want to bust your bubble but i had a cop in the family and have no use for them. Seems to me they are just grownup hall monitors from school trying to find someone doing anything wrong so they can squeal on them. I would rather take my chances and protect myself ( you don't bother me and i won't bother you). Just my opinion so all you haters don't even jump my case cause i won't even come back to read what you wrote. Do as you see fit just remember you have to look yourself in mirror every day.

hey everyone has different views and experiances and i understand your opinion... now i know who i am and i am/never have been a bully or picked on...

If you have the opportunity of getting in, Do it !!!
But just be cool when you get in.......:D

haha at least to mopar guys!

my boss is 62 and only has a couple of years left in the shop...

You know that for sure? Would he ever hand the reins over to you? I would think that if its you and him right now, it would only be logical for you to take the next step if he decides that he is done. As long as you've 'put your time in' seems like a no-brainer.

Mosher is at least that old, he's still going strong.

I dunno, being a cop might seem stable and a noble job and all that but there's no passion in it, at least in my opinion. I could never do it myself, I can't stand people, I would not want to 'protect' them from themselves. And the only thing any cop/officer/patrolman ever 'served' me was a ticket. I think guys become cops because they don't know what else to do and the benefits look good. My neighbor is a NYC cop. I suppose he likes the job but from what he tells me it seems pretty limited. Works all kinds of crazy hours, he's often asleep in the middle of the day. He comes shuffling in to my garage when I'm tinkering around, trying to see what I'm doing, like oooh I wish I could do that. I work on cars every day at a dealership. Some days I can't stand it but I would never trade it for anything else because that's what I'm passionate about it.

I've said it before, MY DREAM JOB IS LITERALLY YOUR JOB. Tell Greg to hire me!

You know that for sure? Would he ever hand the reins over to you? I would think that if its you and him right now, it would only be logical for you to take the next step if he decides that he is done. As long as you've 'put your time in' seems like a no-brainer.

Mosher is at least that old, he's still going strong.

I dunno, being a cop might seem stable and a noble job and all that but there's no passion in it, at least in my opinion. I could never do it myself, I can't stand people, I would not want to 'protect' them from themselves. And the only thing any cop/officer/patrolman ever 'served' me was a ticket. I think guys become cops because they don't know what else to do and the benefits look good. My neighbor is a NYC cop. I suppose he likes the job but from what he tells me it seems pretty limited. Works all kinds of crazy hours, he's often asleep in the middle of the day. He comes shuffling in to my garage when I'm tinkering around, trying to see what I'm doing, like oooh I wish I could do that. I work on cars every day at a dealership. Some days I can't stand it but I would never trade it for anything else because that's what I'm passionate about it.

I've said it before, MY DREAM JOB IS LITERALLY YOUR JOB. Tell Greg to hire me!

lol im not throwing in the towel yet... im just exploring my options... would greg hand it over to me? maybe... he loves the work so i dont know how he would do without it lol...

I say try it, but don't get your hopes up. I read recently that the requirements for becoming a policeman today are much higher than in the past, at least in most major cities. Most are at least 25 yrs old, have a 4 yr college degree, many have graduate degrees including law degrees. Most non-college hires have military police experience or similar. You must know the law, counseling, how to testify in court, and act professional. So don't get upset when you read of their salaries and benefits. Most police today are worth what they are paid.

-
Back