power brakes for 440 a body?

-

Jeremy Bodell

Reaction score
I have a 76 swinger with a 440 in it. The install was not really done very well. I have a good grip on everything that I need to do the install properly except for the power brakes. The valve cover has been modified to clear the booster but it looks like crap. I think that I could gain alot more room:? with a hemi brake booster but I am not sure if it will bolt to the fire wall. Does anyone know if a 8" brake booster with the hemi brackets will fit? Or am I doomed to remove the power brakes?http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Power brakes are completely unnecessary in an a-body. I have had to birng my son's Dart down from 70mph with a blown front tire and had no trouble. I have never tried to fit power brakes in any of my big block builds and I'm not about to start now.

My recommendation is the large 11.75 rotors and toss the power booster. With the big rotors the pedal feel will be just fine with a manual master cylinder. Use the late model aluminum MC to drop weight and prevent corrosion. For a drag car you can drop another 20 lbs by hanging some Wilwood calipers on the 11.75 rotors. That gives you a very nice setup that is fairly lightweight but has the big rotors for plenty of thermal mass.

For road racing the best setup are 13 inch rotors with Viper calipers and 17 inch rims. No power booster needed with that setup.

Andy, pedal feel is fine with the "small" rotors and a 73 disc brake master. I'm not a big guy and I don't have extremely strong legs, but my son's Dart is no problem to bring down from speed (highway speeds). I agree for road racing more brake is a good idea.

I spent the $250.00 and bought the hemi style booster and master set-up. Looked good on the car with the 440 in it until I went to take off the valve cover. Took the thing back off and installed a manual master from Mancini's with the offset mounting adapter and No more problems.

kenny b

new side.jpg

I have 10" manual DRUMS on my 68, and it stops fine. Just make sure everything is working properly, and within specs.

codfish

What kind of valve covers ya running? Last one we did with power brakes(73duster) the power brakes actually made for more room.

check out this web site uscartool.com it's the shop I work at and we stuffed a 426 hemi into a 68 dart and we fabbed a bracket to use power brakes, maybe it'll help, I have a 72 dart with a 400 in it and it worked fine

question for the group: I have a 73 Dart with power brakes, and going 440 engine. What do I need to convert over to manual brakes. I am using Wilwood Disk Brakes all around.

-
Back