Power Steering conversion kits.

-

tekslk

Reaction score
I have a 67 Ply barracuda with manual steering, I also have a 360 in it with TTI headers, and Im wondering if anyone makes a power steering conversion kit that I could install on this car. Without major remodeling, using the same steering shaft just changing the coupler. Thanks for your inputs

No conversion kit that I know of, except for a DIY conversion kit. I built 2 conversion kits out of parts i pieced from everywhere for my 67 notchback, and my sons 69 notchback.

Manual to power you need to change the steering shaft and coupling in the column since the column shaft is shorter on power steering cars, and the coupling has smaller splines than the manual box. Slant 6 or V8 the same power steering shaft, coupling, and power steering box can be used.

The good news is theres lots of 67s out there that are column shift with power steering. You can use the shaft and coupling out of one of those in your column even if its floor shift. As far as the pulleys, and pump go, as long as the rest of your pulleys are from 67-69, you should be able to use a pump, and crank pulley from the same years.

I was thinking bergman or someone uses a kit with a different coupler so you don't have to change the shaft. I think it comes with pump, pulleys hoses,gearbox everything needed I just cant find it right now, seams like its 1000-1100 dollars.

Possibly. And might be probable if your using a borgeson box. I have no experience with borgeson steering boxes though. What I listed was using all stock parts which may be cheaper to do $$$s wise, but more time consuming than a 1 stop shop.

I just did my car. Like Moparmat said you gotta piece it together. You'll need the crank pulley for PS. I went Saginaw PS box with CVF power steering mount. It places the pump higher co the pressure line will clear the 72-down biscuit mount Kframe. It looks tight bt there is over 1.5" of room at the narrowest point betweent he PS line and the mount. I also used a Stuff Stuff pulley and pump. Steering column is the biggest challenge depending on what you need.

20190702_194044.jpg

20190702_193912.jpg

Steering column is not really a challenge at all. Providing you are using the original 67 only column that's in your car, just find a 67 parts column for power steering. Use the shaft and coupling out of it. All the 67 A body power steering internal shafts are the same weather its column shift automatic, column shift 3 on the tree, or floor shift. All the same shaft. Most common was 67 automatic on the tree w power steering. Grab one of those, pull and swap the shaft out, resell the parts column with manual shaft in it.

My sons 69 currently has a 69 floor shift column w manual steering. I have a 69 automatic on the column for power steering. Going to pull its shaft and swap it into the floor shift column. Easy peasy.

This is the kit I wanted I found it but the price is a year old. Anybody deal with them?
upload_2019-8-25_16-44-47.jpeg
upload_2019-8-25_16-44-47.jpeg

Bergman is GTMachine on here I think
I bought my Borgeson kit from him....he knows his stuff.

The kit I just bought from Peter included a coupling however I already had power steering. Ask him. He is super responsive.

FYI- if you go with the Borgeson box you need the saginaw pump (not the federal mogul.) That's what Peter told me. My kit was a little under 950.00

JW

I bought the complete kit off Peter I think I will be happy and hopefully its not too bad to install. he said I will need two clamps for return hose and fluid.

When working on old cars it doesn't always go as planned, but its done and works great. Is there any market for a 67 manual steering box or should I scrap it?

I have no idea. Gonna be selling the manual box out of my sons car in a bit. Converting up to power too.

-
Back