Power Steering gear box acting crazy!!!

-

1fine69

Reaction score
:wack:Just fired up my new engine in my Dart for the first time and my wheels turned to the left by themselves! I ran the steering wheel left and right a few times to bleed the air out and the wheel turns easy enough but it keeps returning to the left! Anyone know how to adjust this without tearing it back out of the car? I have never driven this car since I bought it so I don't know if this was a problem before or not.

Attachments

• P1010195.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 347
The valve at the top of the box needs adjustment. slightly loosen the 2 mounting bolts and LIGHTLY tap forward or back till you find the sweet spot.

Jack up the front of the car till front wheels are off the ground.. There's two bolts holding the fitting,,, that's on the top power steering box, where hose goes on, there 7/16.. just slightly loosen those bolts, and gently tap the fitting either backward, or forward, the wheels will tend to go one way or the other.. that will adjust your problem.. that's how to centre the "feedback".. you must have accidentally moved that fitting... grant

Nice looking car, by the way..

I'm curious to hear about your new radiatorless cooling system. That's gotta be a weight saver.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I knew you guys would come through! Will report back.

'S that new air cooled SB.

Had the Original Rad re-cored. Looks and works great! It should for $500.00!!! I guess copper prices are UP.

Attachments

• P1010234.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 308
Jack up the front of the car till front wheels are off the ground.. There's two bolts holding the fitting,,, that's on the top power steering box, where hose goes on, there 7/16.. just slightly loosen those bolts, and gently tap the fitting either backward, or forward, the wheels will tend to go one way or the other.. that will adjust your problem.. that's how to centre the "feedback".. you must have accidentally moved that fitting... grant

Thanks for the info. Took two tries and now it centers itself perfectly! Can't get much easier than that! FYI, the bolts are 1/2"...Keith

Stupid question but I'm assuming you have the engine running at the time you tap the fitting? Same issue here I just replaced the gear box and my wheels want to go left!!!

Thanks for you help

I can only imagine what a person that has never seen that before thinks when it happens.

WTH???? :)

Stupid question but I'm assuming you have the engine running at the time you tap the fitting? Same issue here I just replaced the gear box and my wheels want to go left!!!

Thanks for you help

Yep,. engine running... you might want to hang onto the wheel when you start it,, so it doesn't slam over... grant

The steering wheel can hurt you. It has happened. The guy jacked up the car lossened something on the steering gear, then he reached through the window and wheel for the ignition switch.
Those who want to do these sort of repairs themselves.. invest in a factory service manual.

Yep,. engine running... you might want to hang onto the wheel when you start it,, so it doesn't slam over... grant
Thanks guys, when I saw the wheel start to rotate by itself to the left position it was a WTH??? no more of a WTF!!! I'll give it a whirl (pardon the pun) tonight and see how it goes.

Worked like a charm guys. After a couple of tries at it the wheels went to straight (as close as they could be without an alignment) and all is good. I appreciate the tips and have learned a new repair procedure.

Mike

In my younger days i worked at a shop in Tampa Fl. We did all the repair work on Hillsborough county Sheriff cars. When we rebuilt the P/S boxes we had to do this same adjustment on all of them. Ah those were the days 70-74 440 Coronets. The best part was the test drives.

Oh yeah,, we serviced our local Police and Ambulance..

The test drives were the best, pursuit vehicles needed testing,, - lights and siren,, who's gonna stop you.. ahh ha ha

Oh yeah,, we serviced our local Police and Ambulance..

The test drives were the best, pursuit vehicles needed testing,, - lights and siren,, who's gonna stop you.. ahh ha ha

I actually was stopped a few times while test driving them as i was only 19 at the time. They always let me go after I explained why i was in a cop car.

-
Back