Power Steering Rebuild - notes and vents

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
Hope this helps someone.

Doing general rebuild and painting of the engine compartment of a 65 Dart 273 and thought prudent to rebuild the power steering. Haven't driven the car yet and no indication of leaks or problems, might have been smarter to have left as is.

Gearbox casting marks: "G-2267262", "R2", and "3208" (date code?). This is a pre-73 "small shaft" gearbox, w/ 1.125"D Pitmann shaft. I used rebuild Kit - Edelmann 7895 "Seal Kit" (no bearings). Side-note: early C-bodies used the 1.25"D "large shaft" gear-box, later used in all bodies 73+.

First photo is the gear-box input shaft parts under the staked nut. The left-most part (cylinder head) rotates up on the left side, other parts rotate up on the right side as shown stacked. The FSM drawings aren't as clear and rebuild kits have even worse copies. While disassembled, I wire-brushed and painted the housing w/ Rust Destroyer primer and 500F engine paint (sits near exhaust).

Removing the staked nut on input shaft wasn't trivial. I buggered up the steering column splines a bit by holding w/ vise grips and had to file to fix. I used a small screwdriver to pry up the stakes on the nut, but still had to turn it to free. The FSM mentions a special tool. I should have used my steering coupler as such tool since I later removed it for a rebuild.

Interestingly, the coupler doesn't have a wide slot to match the one on the input shaft. I recall one on my '69 Dart and '65 Newport. I will have to carefully align the steering wheel. The Pitmann shaft has 4 wide slots that match the Pitmann arm. I recall only 1 slot on other cars.

The "piston" is the large toothed cylinder on the worm shaft. The FSM mentions replacing the metal "piston ring", but my rebuild kit had none, plus I didn't see how to remove it since it has interlocking fingers. I left mine original.

Issues and concerns:

1. The red seal on the worm shaft was a b**. Hard plastic and broke when I stretched to remove it. The replacement was blue and took 3 hands (wife) to stretch around the shaft w/ mini-screwdrivers. Then it was permanently stretched and had to be stuffed into the bore in the cylinder head. I know teflon O-rings aren't normally stretched to fit in a groove, so didn't seem right, but the shaft appears to be 1-piece, so no other way. The hard plastic didn't feel like teflon.

2. The center bearing spacer (disk w/ radial slot) can be installed 2 ways. This puts the cylinder head "ferrule" on one side or the other in the final assembly. The FSM doesn't show, so I oriented as I think it was. Probably doesn't matter since just left or right, not up or down, and evern gravity probably wouldn't matter. You can tell from outside which way yours is since the ferrule fits into the thicker of 4 webs on the housing head. Mine is on the outside (driver's side). Maybe that should count in judging car shows.

3. Before staking the new nut, make sure you have the right torque. I didn't use the "string and spring scale" method mentioned in the FSM, but just spun the center spacer by hand. The friction changes greatly with the slightest tweak, and even from staking the nut, so careful feel is best.

4. The parts outside the staked nut install only one way, and fairly obvious. Use vaseline to hold the rings in the housing head as you slide it all in. That is probably the biggest FU people make.

5. The input shaft seal seems to stick out too much, so the lip partly rides on the recessed section. I beat the seal in as much as possible. Perhaps the body is too thick. I should have compared to the old one. Another case of "is the kit part exact?".

6. The output shaft seal seemed too tight against the needle bearing, even though no gap to the washer (against circlip). I hope it doesn't cause the bearing to bind. It was very hard to work the sector shaft spline step past this seal. I had to go around it w/ a small screwdriver from the outside, pushing the inner lip up. Perhaps rebuild shops have a cone to ease the shaft thru, or maybe my kit's seal wasn't quite right.

7. The kit was missing the thick, square O-ring under sector shaft adjustment nut. Fortunately, I had a square O-ring that worked (round one might also work). The rebuild kit had an aluminum tab (to lock adjusment?). It didn't seem to fit on my gear since my nut has an inner cone to squeeze in on the O-ring and fits in a recess in the dome, so I didn't use.

8. The kit didn't have an O-ring quite big enough for the large port on the valve body. I had to re-use the old one. Indeed, none of the rubber in my gearbox looked degraded, so the rebuild was probably uneeded.

9. Installing the gearbox was a b***. At this point, I had installed everything else, since holding off the pwr steering rebuild for a winter "dining table job", plus I recalled easily installing the gearbox in my 69 Slant Six decades ago. I should have thought about this "stuffed-in" V-8 in the early A's. Had to back-track and remove the mini-starter and jack up the engine. The FSM mentions such, but says to just slightly lift the engine. I had to lift >2" and scratched much paint before getting to that. The gear is so heavy, I strapped a rope to the valve body to hold it while maneuvering into place. The FSM says on a Slant, it can drop in from the top.

10. Had to loosen my motor mount and rotate down to get the stud in the slot. Perhaps because the mounts are new they want to sit at the very top of the slots and one can't get a wrench well on the left one (under the fold). Maybe my mounts aren't quite right. I bought DEA Products A2338, ~$10 ea on ebay, much less than ~$100/set I see people ask for used ones.

11. After rebuilding and painting my TRW pump, found I couldn't use it. The rebuild was simple and straightforward. I used a Harbor Freight "Pulley Puller" set, which fit perfect. I had switched to the later alum water pump to match the later radiator (passenger-side lower hose), not appreciating the implications. I don't think brackets were ever made for the TRW pump. Instead, I got a rebuilt Federal pump (looks similar) for ~$45 (rockauto), less than I sometimes see used pumps sell. I had to buy new brackets for $75 since all the "pump w/ brackets" I saw were missing the small triangular one that bolts to the lower block. The Federal pump clears the K-frame with only 0.5" to spare at the rear. I wonder how long before my new engine mounts sag that away. It wouldn't work with the thin later mounts I originally had on.

12. Remaining task is to find pulleys to align everything. I have 2 pulleys off Federal pumps and they are totally different. One is slighlty recessed and the other sticks way out, perhaps for a BB, though both had (partial) SB brackets installed. There seem to have been many combinations - cast or alum water pump, AC or non-AC, manual or pwr steering, and every possible combination of these. I don't care to try the pulley on my TRW pump since a pain to re-install - no threads to pull it on, must press or beat it on while supporting the back of the shaft (remove reservoir).

After working on a Slant Six and C-body, I better appreciate the effort the designers made to squeeze these V-8's into early Darts. No extra inches for leeway, and you must plan each job with military precision, similar to working on a Porsche. I hope my gear-box rebuild works because PIA to remove. Finally, I am in no way advertising and would never rebuild your gear-box, but am happy to give advice and ridicule.

View attachment piston and worm gear.jpg

View attachment final assembly.jpg

View attachment PICT0121.JPG

Now you know why most people buy one already rebuilt.......:banghead:

Super T,

Gear-box cost was just the rebuild kit ~$30, plus paint. I first got a kit for the larger Pitmann shaft gear-box, only ~$18 (full kit w/ bearings). A mistake buy, but can use on my Newport someday.

As cudamark says, most people buy a rebuilt gear-box. A no-name brand, like via auto parts is ~$100 plus shipping for both it and your core (not cheap). Premium rebuilds run >$200. You still must paint both unless happy with the cheap, flaky black paint the cheap rebuilders spray. My main motivation was to do it right for once, having failed long ago on my 69 Dart's gear-box.

The power steering pump is fairly easy to rebuild, assuming you have a pulley puller. I recall the kit was ~$10 (TRW pump). Since I switched to an aluminum water pump, costs went up - $45 for rebuilt pump (no core req.) and $75 for brackets.

All of the box couplings I've seen have a v notch in their outer edge relative to the master spline location.
Many years ago I worked at a tire store / auto service center. A fellow worker took on a power steering gear ( International pickup truck ) rebuild as charity work.
I thought I was wise to hang around after regular work hours to spectate, participate. After 3 rebuild kits and about 25 hours, here is what I took away from this experience...
DO NOT INSTALL THE STEERING WHEEL BEFORE TEST RUN. The wheel will likely spin rapidly to left or right stop and could easily break your wrist/arm.
Never agree to rebuild any power steering gear box, with or without pay.
Good luck with it.

Ran across this and thought I'd update "with the rest of the story". Drove the Dart since and the power steering works flawlessly, with no leaks. Before I ran the engine, I spun the pump with a drill (no radiator) to fill the gear and center the valve body so it didn't "self steer".

One glitch I ran into is that the Federal pump has an O-ring outlet while the TRW had an inverted flare. The nut is the same, so somebody might not notice and have a frustrating leak. I had a pressure hose from a later (big shaft) gear which fit the pump, then had to swap-in the valve body from the later gear to fit the hose. But that was fairly easy in the car. I got a small leak in the used hose, but bought a new hose for $17.

I also plumbed an oil cooler in the return line. I took it off a RAM pickup. I tapped a hole in the frame rail to mount it.

Since you changed the valve body, I am wondering if you can elaborate on the steering balance adjustment. That is one thing I have never done before. Is it just moving it slightly so it no longer pulls one way or the other? I like the idea of spinning the pump with engine off, those manifolds get hot to work around.

KitCarlson,
Swapping the valve body is easy with the gear on the car. The only trick I recall is getting a large thin O-ring to fit the big hole (return?). I kind of recall there wasn't one in the rebuild kit.

To center the spool, you lift the car so the wheels are just free. Perhaps best to jack it under the LCA ends so the geometry is the same. If you have 2 jacks that is easy. With the engine running (or spinning the pump pulley clockwise with a drill), tap the valve body fwd or aft until the wheels no longer self-steer. The 2 bolts should be loose, but not enough to leak. Torque to spec. In my experience, you are good for life and it never requires re-adjustment.

64 Barracuda,
I have bought several power steering gears and pumps locally in the last few years, all thru craigslist as I recall. One came w/ almost new early hoses (68 Satellite) plus a brake booster. Usually ~$40. The power gear is heavy so shipping might be that much. It would be a pain to remove one at PickNPull. Maybe if the engine was out and you had pullers or a pickle fork with you. But they might charge $40. So many people change to manual steering for headers that power parts are almost free, just like a slant engine & tranny.

Photos requested by 65DartGTConv. Return hose fitting on my 65 gearbox, PN 2267560, 5/8"ID hose (recall).

Attachments

• SAM_0888.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 875
  • SAM_0887.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 856
Great write up and description. I will be attempting a rebuild on 67 cuda pwr steering.
Thanks Bill!

Bill, I also plan to rebuild my 69 Barracuda P/S box (it should be the same as yours). Please feel free to post lots of pics and a nice explanation of how you did it (especially the difficult parts). I've never disassembled any P/S box and don't want to screw it up, especially during re-assembly!!

Thanks,
Treblig

The shop manual details the rebuild. Take photos of the order and orientation of each part like I did above. The manual is overly-fussy about measuring the pre-load on the worm gear, showing a weight arm to measure torque. By the time you stake the nut, it will change. I just used "about right" feel. The main trick is to keep all the plates tight as you install them, so none pop out of position. You hold the input shaft turned tight ccw, as I recall. That was probably my mistake long ago in rebuilding my 69 Dart's box.

"Rebuild" is probably an overly optimistic term. Besides replacing seals and cleaning any gunk, you are mainly tightening the adjustments to take care of wear in the re-circulating balls. The output "sector shaft" adjustment can be done from the outside (box installed). Don't over-adjust that or the box will wear greatly. Don't worry that your input shaft still feels like it has play (engine off). It is supposed to have a mechanical "dead zone", where the input plates are active and off their stops. With hydraulic pressure up, the piston follows the input shaft, with every slight change. It would only hit the "stops" if you lose hydraulics, in which case you force the steering mechanically (and would have play), but that is an emergency scenario.

The shop manual details the rebuild. Take photos of the order and orientation of each part like I did above. The manual is overly-fussy about measuring the pre-load on the worm gear, showing a weight arm to measure torque. By the time you stake the nut, it will change. I just used "about right" feel. The main trick is to keep all the plates tight as you install them, so none pop out of position. You hold the input shaft turned tight ccw, as I recall. That was probably my mistake long ago in rebuilding my 69 Dart's box.

"Rebuild" is probably an overly optimistic term. Besides replacing seals and cleaning any gunk, you are mainly tightening the adjustments to take care of wear in the re-circulating balls. The output "sector shaft" adjustment can be done from the outside (box installed). Don't over-adjust that or the box will wear greatly. Don't worry that your input shaft still feels like it has play (engine off). It is supposed to have a mechanical "dead zone", where the input plates are active and off their stops. With hydraulic pressure up, the piston follows the input shaft, with every slight change. It would only hit the "stops" if you lose hydraulics, in which case you force the steering mechanically (and would have play), but that is an emergency scenario.

So there are no bearings to replace? Or they do not give you bearings in the "rebuild" kit?

Could you replace those Torrington flat bearings or do they not really wear?

Thanks Bill, I do have an original 69 shop manual so I'll check it real good before I start. The problems is always in what they don't tell you. Freaking engineers who never lifted a wrench in their lives wrote the manuals!!! But old time mechanics always know the best tricks to doing it better and smarter and with less hassle.

I printed out what you wrote and put a copy in the "steering gear" section of my maintenance manual!!! Thanks

Thanks,
Treblig

autoxcuda,
As I recall, the rebuild kits you buy at auto parts or rockauto are just "soft parts", i.e. what is called "overhaul kit" in transmissions. I advise against opening the recirculating ball tubes, though I recall the manual shows that. The balls are likely an industry standard size. Bike supplies sell loose balls, even by the jug, but it would be lucky if a size matched. My guess is the Torrington bearings would have to come from an industrial supply like McMaster-Carr or Bearings & Drives. Same for the needle bearings at the sector shaft, and you can find many rare parts on ebay.

great info bill ,I must rebuild my power steering pump soon as its leaking on the seal

terryr,
You can replace both shaft seals with it installed in the car, which would be much easier. Most commonly, the sector seal leaks (at bottom), and you can buy just the seal kit real cheap (rockauto). You remove the Pitman arm and the circlip retainer. One trick is to run the engine and turn the steering against a stop to build pressure, which should blow the seal out. The benefit is you also blow out any crud. Of course, put a big pan below first.

-
Back