PowerSteering

-

wheelsport

Reaction score
I have been struggling with the powersteering on my 273 powered '65 Barracuda for about a year. The original gear had been leaking ever since I bought the car several years ago. So I decided to replace it in an attempt to have a clean garage floor. I ordered a replacement from Rock Auto. It wasn't the correct replacement but Rock Auto assured me it would fit. I struggled for days installing it to find out it was defective. After arguing with Rock Auto for a week, they sent the correct gear. Again struggling to install the gear, I was able to drive the car for a few days when the powersteering pump failed. The search was on for the pump. Searching Google I found Amazon, of all places, had a pump that looked like what I needed. I received it in less than a week. It looked like the right pump but my reservoir was too large and the pulley shaft too small for my pulley. After returning that pump, I found a place on eBay that has an advertisement picturing the exact pump I need. Their fittment chart showed it as the correct pump so I ordered it. Two weeks later I received a pump for a GM car. Of course GM pumps won't bolt on to a Mopar, without a lot of modifications. so I sent it back with a picture of the pump I needed. They assued me that they had the right pump and sent it out. Yesterday I received another GM pump. This pump is on its way back but I still need a pump. Is there anybody that has the correct pump?

000_0906.JPG

I have been struggling with the powersteering on my 273 powered '65 Barracuda for about a year. The original gear had been leaking ever since I bought the car several years ago. So I decided to replace it in an attempt to have a clean garage floor. I ordered a replacement from Rock Auto. It wasn't the correct replacement but Rock Auto assured me it would fit. I struggled for days installing it to find out it was defective. After arguing with Rock Auto for a week, they sent the correct gear. Again struggling to install the gear, I was able to drive the car for a few days when the powersteering pump failed. The search was on for the pump. Searching Google I found Amazon, of all places, had a pump that looked like what I needed. I received it in less than a week. It looked like the right pump but my reservoir was too large and the pulley shaft too small for my pulley. After returning that pump, I found a place on eBay that has an advertisement picturing the exact pump I need. Their fittment chart showed it as the correct pump so I ordered it. Two weeks later I received a pump for a GM car. Of course GM pumps won't bolt on to a Mopar, without a lot of modifications. so I sent it back with a picture of the pump I needed. They assued me that they had the right pump and sent it out. Yesterday I received another GM pump. This pump is on its way back but I still need a pump. Is there anybody that has the correct pump?

View attachment 1716105441
Are you looking for a used pump? If so, start a parts wanted thread in the Marketplace forums.

Contact one of our sponsors Bergman Auto Craft.
Look to the right side of this page and you will see their ad.
I'm sure they will take care of you.

I had Steer and Gear in OH rebuild both my 65 pump and box to Stage III (modern car feel) specs

Yup, 65 Dartman is on the right track: you are shopping in the wrong places. RockAuto sent you what, a piece of junk ruined by Cardone? And some rando on Amazon, yeah, that's not gonna work. Get with RedHead steering (there in WA state), Steer & Gear, and/or Firm Feel to get the right parts in quality worth your time and effort.

Yup, 65 Dartman is on the right track: you are shopping in the wrong places. RockAuto sent you what, a piece of junk ruined by Cardone? And some rando on Amazon, yeah, that's not gonna work. Get with RedHead steering (there in WA state), Steer & Gear, and/or Firm Feel to get the right parts in quality worth your time and effort.
This is the answer. Unless you don't mind non stock, you can use the superior Saginaw pump, but it will require the brackets to mount it.

I also had Steer and Gear rebuild both my steering gear and pump. Happy with everything except the cost. Lol. Just kidding...you get what you pay for.

What I've found about the different brand pumps (Federal, TRW, Saginaw) is that the Saginaw seems to have less problems with leaks, and if you get the bolt-on pulley version, it's much easier to swap pulleys. the problem with swapping them to another brand, is the brackets, hoses, and pulleys don't swap over, so, you need to get a whole changeover. There's also the return hose difference in the '66 and older models if you want to use the later Saginaw pump. You then need the later steering gear hose fitting on the control valve.

I have gone through so much hassle changing steering gears in and out that I''l sell the car before I do it again. The pumps I have recieved to replace the original are Saginaws even though the seller shows a pump like the original in their ad. There is quite a bit of hardware changing to install a Saginaw. This is a104K mile numbers car. I want to keep it as original as I can. The orginal pump has no leaks. It just doesn't have enough pressure. I asssume the vains are worn.

You might put a parts wanted ad in the proper section. There's bound to be a good used pump out there somewhere, even if you have to reseal it. I would do that anyway. '64-8 used the same basic pump, although the pulleys and reservoirs may be different depending on the application. '64-6 small blocks should all have the same pump assembly though. Maybe someone doing a manual steering changeover will have their old pump. Good Luck!

^^^^Agree. Websites are not always the definitive answer- sometimes an actual phone call to an actual person will uncover an unadvertised service or at least hook you up to a rebuilder that they recommend, sometimes even local.

Tried to PM you but your inbox is full. I have 2 pumps if interested.

Since you didn't say what you are referring to, I'll assume its about adjusting the pressure.
You remove the pressure line, and remove the valve assembly, take it apart, and add, or subtract machined washers to change pressure. Should be videos on YouTube.

I believe I have the powersteering pump problem corrected by adjusting the pressure. Now I have another problem. The car turns to the right normally but it takes half a turn of the steering wheel to get the car go left.

Might be a couple of things. Wear or adjustment play in the steering gear or linkage. Also, the control valve may be out of adjustment too.

The steering gear was rebuilt, all linkage, joints, and bushings in good condition. Steering wheel play has been adjusted. Upon starting the steering wheel doesn't move but when turning off the key, The wheel moves slightly towards the left.

The steering gear was rebuilt, all linkage, joints, and bushings in good condition. Steering wheel play has been adjusted. Upon starting the steering wheel doesn't move but when turning off the key, The wheel moves slightly towards the left.
A simple adjustment.
Put the front of the car on jack stands so the wheels are in the air, loosen the valve mount on the top of the steering box where the hoses attach, start the car, and move the casting side to side until the wheels don't move on their own and tighten the valve down.
I have done this several times and it's really easy...

What @Dartnut said.

The control valve adjustment on mine was very, very sensitive. Just a couple thousands of an inch will cause a big change. Do not have your hands inside the steering wheel.

-
Back