Pro Touring 10K

-
So finally the new springs showed up today. Man are they flat. 3 inch free arch really is not much. just put them under the car tonight. just about where it needs to be. So back to the motor mounts and transmission mount in the morning.

Attachments

• 20160219_182644_resized.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 527
So finally the new springs showed up today. Man are they flat. 3 inch free arch really is not much. just put them under the car tonight. just about where it needs to be. So back to the motor mounts and transmission mount in the morning.

Can you tell me the difference ride in height between these springs and the first set you had.

Thanks

Maybe you covered it earlier.....but what are you planning on cage wise? Being slated for competition, I assumed it would get something....for safety and stiffness.

Can you tell me the difference ride in height between these springs and the first set you had.

The ones I just took off sit the car about 1 1/2 inches higher. Honestly they were a little lower than stock height so on a street car they would be just fine. But for what I'm doing/trying to do it just needed to be a little lower. If anyone is interested in the springs I just took off they are for sale 200.00 shipped. You will need rear bushings as I have sliders on the car and needed to modify the old rear bushings for mock up.

Thanks

Maybe you covered it earlier.....but what are you planning on cage wise? Being slated for competition, I assumed it would get something....for safety and stiffness.

Well, the million dollar question. Honestly I'm undecided on a cage. Or should I say how much of a cage. Every time I paint one I don't even want to put one in. They are just a pain in the *** to get painted. So ?

So some pre planning paid off. Believe it or not the I was able to get the transmission mount in the same location as the old /6 transmission mount. If anyone is wondering the transmission tunnel and rear end have a 1/2 off set to the right side of the car. So after squaring up the motor I was able to use most of the the old cross member. Only a little bit of fabrication was needed to get it to sit right in place.I have most of the patterns made for the motor mounts. So I will start on them on Monday.

Attachments

• 20160220_124754_resized.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 511
  • 20160220_124733_resized.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 495
  • 20160220_124002_resized.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 465
  • 20160220_123950_resized.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 485
  • 20160220_123945_resized.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 484
Well, the million dollar question. Honestly I'm undecided on a cage. Or should I say how much of a cage. Every time I paint one I don't even want to put one in. They are just a pain in the *** to get painted. So ?

are you allowed a bolt-in / Z connector?.....that is what I am leaning towards on the Cable Car....powder coated of course with all fasteners hidden.

Tim,
Everything is looking really great..I can really appreciate the custom made parts (I made a few here and there myself). Looking forward to more pictures and updates.

Thanks Ross. I really don't have much choice but to make the parts I need. Not a lot of stuff out there for this type of build. Yes I have seen your handy work. You make some very nice pieces. I would be will to bet your a tool maker. You do very nice work. Your car really shows it.

Denny. I will put the roll bar in. You come and paint it. If everything goes as planned you could see the HDK name on a very big stage later this year.

Denny. I will put the roll bar in. You come and paint it. If everything goes as planned you could see the HDK name on a very big stage later this year.

When you can tell me...let me know. I might like to be there (if allowed)

Just for giggles........you might want to take a look-see at Ross's modified trans mount/crossmember.

Simple...but very effective, especially when you take into consideration exhaust diameters

Hope I do not get trouble.

I've seen bits and pieces for a long time but never actually read the whole thing. I read your entire build over the weekend (from back to front) and knowing where it is now, I had to LOL at your early posts where you said things like "Should be in paint in 2 weeks." (4 years ago?) O:) Anyway, awesome car and liking the SRT banger.

Really looking forward to seeing this completed.

I've seen bits and pieces for a long time but never actually read the whole thing. I read your entire build over the weekend (from back to front) and knowing where it is now, I had to LOL at your early posts where you said things like "Should be in paint in 2 weeks." (4 years ago?) O:) Anyway, awesome car and liking the SRT banger.

Really looking forward to seeing this completed.

Yeah, A lot of change in plans along the way. What started as a simple project turn into a mess. I have no one to blame for that but me. Many months have gone by with little to no work done on the car. Customers projects come first. At times. Well there just wasn't any time to spare. I'm no different than anyone else on here building a car. Some times life just gets in the way of things.

Yeah, A lot of change in plans along the way. What started as a simple project turn into a mess. I have no one to blame for that but me. Many months have gone by with little to no work done on the car. Customers projects come first. At times. Well there just wasn't any time to spare. I'm no different than anyone else on here building a car. Some times life just gets in the way of things.

I know the feeling and I stopped building my car 11 months ago.

So I finished up trimming the cross member and boxing in the sides. The material for the motor mounts was delivered today. So hope to get started on them tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20160223_180427_resized.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 397
So many things going at once .Most of the motor mount brackets are cut out and starting to tig everything together. Cut out the spare tire tub tonight and rough cut the opening for the EFI gas tank. I will need to add some cross bracing between the frame rails to mount the tank and give the floor some support. I moved the tank back as far as I could to give the car the best weight distribution it can have. More tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20160225_184853_resized.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 352
  • 20160225_184842_resized.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 381
  • 20160225_184837_resized.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 382
Just for giggles........you might want to take a look-see at Ross's modified trans mount/crossmember.

Simple...but very effective, especially when you take into consideration exhaust diameters

Hope I do not get trouble.

Denny, I think the 3" exhaust will fit right where the old exhaust pipe went with out any modification. I will use a piece of 3" oval there it goes underneath the cross member. Remember I will only have 1 pipe running to the rear.The muffler I have is from thermal R&D 1 3" in 2 /2" out

Attachments

• B506F_B506R_C5063.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 347
Sometimes it's hard to remember that this beauty will have a banger in it.

Iv'e been looking for a 2.4T around here for my 32 roadster. I'm looking forward to the first drive report.

I'm looking forward to that first drive also. A 2.4 in a little 32 would be a blast to drive. Just be prepared to get good and bad feedback as I have had both.

I'm looking forward to that first drive also. A 2.4 in a little 32 would be a blast to drive. Just be prepared to get good and bad feedback as I have had both.

Funny, I'm the kind of guy who relishes the opportunity to slam some ignorant fool with witty repertoire. The way I look at it is, my 32 has a banger in it now, so whats wrong with another banger for an upgrade? It's a dodge motor in a dodge car.

90% of the 32's (100% fords) I see have a crappy chevy 350 in them. Those guys have more excuses for why they couldn't put a ford engine in it, than teeth.

I don't care what you do with your car as long as it makes you happy. Please reciprocate. :D

Keep up the great work. I'm loving it.

So today I got a lot of loose ends finished up. Removed the rear housing and springs. Moved the sliders back 1/2 inch to account for the flat spring. Welded in front spring boxes and rear sliders. Reassembled the rear end. Fabricated a floor brace for the front of the tank. Finished trimming up the floor. Made the trunk floor patch panel and welded everything in place.

Attachments

• 20160227_130515_resized.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 20160227_130506_resized.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 20160227_130359_resized.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 310
  • 20160227_130333_resized.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 288
  • 20160227_130328_resized.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 314
  • 20160227_130217_resized.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 309
So today I got a lot of loose ends finished up. Removed the rear housing and springs. Moved the sliders back 1/2 inch to account for the flat spring. Welded in front spring boxes and rear sliders. Reassembled the rear end. Fabricated a floor brace for the front of the tank. Finished trimming up the floor. Made the trunk floor patch panel and welded everything in place.

I have a set of sliders that I have not installed you will have to tell me how you like them. The gas tank mods are familiar!

Attachments

• P82A0188.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 298
I have a set of sliders that I have not installed you will have to tell me how you like them. The gas tank mods are familiar!

Nice. What tank are you running. Mine is a universal mustang style EFI tank from Tanks inc. I will let you know on the sliders. I know a lot of roundy round guys have used them for years.

Nice. What tank are you running. Mine is a universal mustang style EFI tank from Tanks inc. I will let you know on the sliders. I know a lot of roundy round guys have used them for years.

They are supposed to allow the springs to react better, but I hear there is some upkeep involved.

The tank is a custom tank made by Rick's tanks in El Paso, TX. I met their rep at the DFW Good Guys show a few years back. I am from El Paso and used to be involved in the local circle track scene, so we know some of the same folks. Anyway, "t-granger" (http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=112873) had Rick's build a tank for his Duster. I asked them to duplicate the under floor profile of Tim Grainger's tank but have it come up into the trunk 4" and narrow the tank some so I ended up with 5" clearance between the tank and the frame rails on both sides to allow plenty of clearance for 3" tail pipes. I then had them install the Aeromotive A1000 pump in the tank as well. The 4" matches the height of the trunk floor that comes up over the rear axle. I plan to build a false bottom trunk floor that will sit on top of the tank and have storage compartments on each side. So, when you open the trunk the floor will be flat but still have the filler that attaches to the factory gas cap.

I drilled holes in the perimeter frame and installed Nutserts. The bolts you see in the picture screw into the Nutserts. To get the placement I drilled pilot holes in the tank flange and then used them to pilot holes in the trunk frame. I bolted down the tank w/ two bolts then drilled the rest. I then used the pilot holes in the frame to drill the correct size holes for the Nutserts. I think we used to refer to this as "Match Drilling", guarantees the holes will align.

Attachments

• DSC04472.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 293
-
Back