Problem removing a pitman arm

-
0pIStcs_d.jpg

Too much heat will melt the seal out of the box. Put the ungodly amount of pressure on it with the quality puller and shock it with 2 hammers. Hit the sides of the pitman arm adjacent to the sector shaft with a good sized dead-blow ball-peen and back that with a 3 pounder.

Last edited:
Changing the seal was one of the points of removal. Once it's off, I plan on wire wheeling the splines and using anti sieze on the splines

Changing the seal was one of the points of removal. Once it's off, I plan on wire wheeling the splines and using anti sieze on the splines
Be careful with anti seize. Some things are just meant to be metal to metal.

Not likely, but if for some reason I had to, there wouldent be a problem. I think I am going to remove the box, clamp it in my vise, and just drill the arm to weaken it then pull it off. I will just go buy another arm.

Last edited:
Not likely, but if for some reason I had to, there wouldent be a problem. I think I am going to remove the box, clamp it in my vise, and just drill the arm to weaken it then pull it off. I will just go buy another arm.

Before you drill it, "now that you" have the box off, lay the arm "hub" down against an anvil, get your largest BFH, and beat on it on the opposite side, IE with the pitman horizontal. Do this in as many places of rotation as you can, I bet the thing will pull right off.

Took a week to get the pitman off my power wagon. Every day i would smack it and tighten puller. Eventually it popped.
Farmer told me a story about a 40 ton puller on some part on his cat crawler,left the pressure on it, found the part on the far side of his shop the next morning.

-
Back