Problem with replacement Idler Arm

-
Ok I found a receipt that the guy had in a book he gave me with the car. It had was from Napa and had a P/N of 242-3011 for the calipers. A search on Napa's site and Google didnt turn up anything. I was trying to figure out what year and type of car those came off of. I also found another receipt for tie rod ends that he bought specifically for the 71 Scamp.

So the tie rods are correct to the car, but the idler arm is not. Im just stumped as to what this guy may have done. Thinking this might have to go on hold until I can look at the car again. Sucks having it so far away.

Does yours look like this? If so your original is a K7086 and it would be correct for the OEM 73 through 76 big ball joint A bodies.

That is exactly what the one I took out of my car looks like! If I understand correctly, someone prior converted the center link to 73-76 style?

I got my brother to snap some pics of my set up. The steering box will not be mounted in the car but I will have a pic of that and also the tie rods with center link. It may be a few day but I really do appreciate all the help you guys have given me on here! This site is great!

That is exactly what the one I took out of my car looks like! If I understand correctly, someone prior converted the center link to 73-76 style?

That is what it would appear since that idler arm matches yours. I am very interested in seeing your pictures. Your parts could be off a 73 up and bolted to the original K frame from the sounds of things. The pictures should tell the story when you get them posted.

All in all its an easy enough fix by the sounds of it. Maybe while yer waiting for pics post up a want ad for the correct centerlink and steering box...might help shorten the down time a bit..

All in all its an easy enough fix by the sounds of it. Maybe while yer waiting for pics post up a want ad for the correct centerlink and steering box...might help shorten the down time a bit..

I think I'd hold off until he is 100% sure of what he has now.

He does have a 68 Manual steering box with pitman arm. So he would need a 68-72 centerlink and 68-72 idler arm.

Until we get a picture to confirm, it seems he has a 73-76 power steering box, 73-76 centerlink, and 73-76 idler arm. But stranger things have happened.

straightlinespeed, you do know you will need to change to manual steering column or manual steering column adapter from www.firmfeel.com ?

I think I'd hold off until he is 100% sure of what he has now.

He does have a 68 Manual steering box with pitman arm. So he would need a 68-72 centerlink and 68-72 idler arm.

Until we get a picture to confirm, it seems he has a 73-76 power steering box, 73-76 centerlink, and 73-76 idler arm. But stranger things have happened.

straightlinespeed, you do know you will need to change to manual steering column or manual steering column adapter from www.firmfeel.com ?

I also still have the 68-72 idler arm that I ordered. I figured no sense sending it back if it is what I need. I picked up the steering box and the matching column at the same time so Im good to go on that part. I just have the feeling I need to swap the center link. Of course pics will tell all.

Hey Ramie it doesnt hurt to put a want ad up, you arent committed to buying it/them. Its just getting one located for when you do ID what you have. Just trying to save you some time.

Hey Ramie, Im not sure if it would help but I can dig up pics of my manual steering box, its from my 69 cuda???

I found some pics, sorry they are before I cleaned it up. I can get better ones if need be. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• DSCF0182%20(Medium).JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 347
  • DSCF0189%20(Medium).JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 332
I just chkd my parts cd and it shows both pitman arm and idler arm pointing up, but I will take pics to confirm

Early idler/pitmans, castles are up,... later, - idler and pitman, castles are down, for more pan clearance, I believe..

Here are pics of my Kframe 69 340. Sorry for the lousy pics

Attachments

• DSCF9930 (Medium).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 279
  • DSCF9932 (Medium).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCF9933 (Medium).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 278
Steve that is great! Thanks for the pics! Like I said Im just waiting for my pics to arrive. Although I think we figured out what is going on with it.

tie rods are the same..

just get a idler arm for a 73+ A body...you dont need to change out drag link

-
Back