Project DustYa 73 340 4spd Duster

-

J-MacsMopars

Shade Tree Vintage Auto on YouTube
Reaction score
Well, I decided to start a resto thread on my Duster. It's finely getting warm enough I can start doing a little work on it. Still not for sure how I want to build it. But I have a ways to go before I am committed on which way to go. I kind of want to do a Pro Street type build but at the same time it is a numbers matching 340 4spd car. So I am leaning towards a "Day Two" build. It wont be a concorse resto as I want it to be a nice driver and all out fun car that I am not afraid to play with. Here are a few pics of it at my friend Neils right after it came up here from AZ.
100_2839.jpg

100_2845.jpg

100_3025.jpg

What would be the easiest way to fix the lower core support?
Picture021.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Sleeping,
Picture026.jpg

Looks like its in good shape.=P~. If another core support would be the easy fix. Good luck with it. Can wait to see the finish product!!!!!!

I also like the day two idea. It will be nice. I can't wait to see the finished product either. I am going to take the car to my work tomorrow and on Saturday, I plan on stripping the body to just a rolling empty shell.

I do have a few questions I hope someone can answer.
1. How nice is the AMD tail panel? Is it worth the money?
2. Who makes the best sub frame connectors?
3. How hard is it to replace the roof skin?

And, I have decided that I am going to paint it Toyota Speedway Blue. It's close to the B5 but looks better.

I will post a few more pics tomorrow.

I took her to work tonight. I have a guy coming to look at the roof tomorrow to see if he can fix the roof. I also picked up a pair of original rust free full 1/4 panels today. Got them for free. Can't beat that huh? I will get pics of them soon. I will also post a few pics of my Duster going to town later tonight. Still curious about the AMD tail panel. Anyone here bought one? Thanks guys.

The white car is a 74 Hang 10 Dart Sport. My friend bought it from me for parts for his other Hang 10. Between the two of them, he has all the rare Hang 10 stuff.

Here are some pics from today. Also, I finely looked at the odometer today, it says just over 34000 miles. Now I would say that that would be 134000 miles except for a few things. It was last registered in 1982. The pedals look about brand new other than where some body cut some of the rubber off of the clutch pedal, and there is still some blue paint on the factory exhaust manifolds. Plus, for coming off of the Indian Reservation, it is in fair shape. What do you all think? Could that be original? It was only drive approx nine years. Anyway, here are the pics. Lots more Saturday night or Sunday.
onitswaytowork3-19-09.jpg

onitswaytowork3-19-092.jpg

onitswaytowork3-19-093.jpg

onitswaytowork3-19-094.jpg

onitswaytowork3-19-095.jpg

Hey everyone, I started the disassembly tonight. I first steam cleaned the engine compartment and it came out fairly nice. Then I pulled the windshield and started taking the dash out. I didn't realize how much of a pain it was to get the dash out. Anyway. I will be taking it much further apart tomorrow. Here are some pics from Today.
Atwork2.jpg

Atwork.jpg

Beforegettingwashed.jpg

Dashdissasembly7.jpg

Dashdissasembly6.jpg

vin.jpg

Your car is a perfect candidate for a soda blasting!To me personally,that car is worth somebucks$$ when it,s completed.Nice score!

Hey C_stripes!8)
I love your Duster, and I can't wait for some more updates on it.:read2:

On Saturday, I pulled the car apart even more. I was very surprised by the condition of all of the plastic panels. After I cleaned them all up, I was very impressed and will be using them in the car. For a desert car, they aren’t backed that bad. I finished pulling all the wiring harness out and boy to I want a new one. It’s pretty rough. I did end up having to cut two wires. But that’s not bad. I also pulled the power booster and the pedals out and even though I took a bunch of pics on how it goes together, I can see that it might be a pain to put back together. Another cool little thing I noticed is that the V21 black hood treatment was painted clear through onto the inner part of the firewall. I was also happy to find that I have all of the chrome, and most of it is near perfect. Here are some pics.

Jeremy

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture026-1.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture032.jpg

More;
Picture036.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Most of my parts;
Picture043.jpg

The plastic panels;
Picture044.jpg

I found a good use of an old motor home;
Picture045.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Picture047.jpg

Picture048.jpg

I will get more later.

Jeremy

Thanks for the kind words guys. I hope to have lots of updates this year. Working on it has really made me want to work on it even more. I can't wait to have it done.

Car looks solid. You may be able to bang that lower rad support back out but if not you could weld one in from a doner car. Just cut the spot welds and it will come right out. Good luck on the build.

On that note, is the lower radiator support the same on a 22" radiator as the 26"?

Well, nothing new to mention. I have been busy with work and school and moving and have not had time to work on her. I will snap a pic this week. I need to get out and pic up the 1/4's I have for it. I am thinking about talking to the local trade school to see if they want to use it to learn how to put 1/4's on. I want to do it, I just don't see the time to do it. I am taking on to big of a chunk of life at one time I guess. But I won't get discouraged. I am also working on business plans to start my own business. I want to move to Boise, ID and start it. So that will be HUGE!!! Anyway. I will keep you updated with any changes. Later, Jeremy

Awesome car makes me want to continue ripping mine apart and Sand blasting the engine compartment. and Weld in my floors!

-
Back