PRW,Don't do it!!!!

-
Run the Cat crap.Failed everywhere. Stock 273 adjustables,fixed. (Mild 260@.050,hydraulic flat tappet).

Everything from China is crap? Especially Apple stuff. So why is that? China can make top quality or the worst quality. It's not China it's whoever puts in the order and specs for production. So it's not China's fault, and not everything should he grouped in one lot, it's all about how good whoever is producing the part wants the part to be. I am forced to order my work clothes through specific made in the USA plants with high paid union workforce. These $100 work clothes and boots don't last as long as the $10-$15 stuff I buy at Walmart.
So maybe the parts are crap but that's only because the person who speced the parts told then just make them as inexpensive as possible. That's not China's fault just following orders.

My issue is primarily with their metallurgy.
Which was absolute horse **** for a long time and has improved in the last four or five years.
The first hint I got was a massive bench vise a buddy bought.
Bolted it to his bench and the first time he cranked it down on something , the moving jaw broke in half , revealing a chunk of spring that didn't melt when it was cast.
That doesn't happen with a good Wilton or Kurt. You pay more , you get more.
That's how it works.
I can't comment on your work clothes situation , but I get a whiff of bias.
Totally different argument that won't be solved on these pages.

I'm with Tubtar on this one. to the OP, I'm not knocking you for working on a budget, I have to myself. However, I take the same position as Moper. I don't have the money to rebuild an entire engine over the fact that I tried to save a little, and ended up with a junk piece. I just bite the bullet, and buy the high quality stuff, EVEN if I have to wait until I save a little more money.

I hate that you had close to $500 in the PRW units, because I run the same Harland Sharp needle bearing set up as Tubtar, and I only have $115 more in them than you do the PRW stuff. bought the complete set up, with the arms, hardened shafts, spacers, and adjusters for $615. the best part is that Harland Sharp will inspect your rockers for wear, and replace or rebuild any worn parts, for a fraction of buying them new again. That, and they carry a lifetime warranty. I'm sorry to hear about your trouble, and hope you get back going soon.

i still think the op needs to figure out why he is not getting enough oil to his valvetrain. yes hardened shafts should be just that,but they should survive just fine aslong as there is no needlebearings riding on the surface,if an unbushed aluminum rocker lives just fine on a steelshaft with a good oilingsystem then there should be no problem with the prws eating up the shafts. remember your rockers should not even be in contact with the shaft,if the oilingsystem is working there will be oil in betwen the two..

Thanks for all the comments guys. I have to emphasize that the engine builder is a veteran.This is not his first rodeo, Thorough would be an understatement. We agree Harland Sharp stuff to be the best,but this is a mild street motor, build just didn't warrant this level of set up. Living in Canada adds expense to this hobby,so alot of time you buy from your local parts store what is readily available, hoping you have some form of recourse in case of failure. I am a custom home builder and have to stand behind what I build for ten years. My dad (engine builder) said after diagnosing these rockers and shaft from PRW,"this is one of the reasons I am retired now, parts were always the weak link but now they are always questionable as to their quality."

OK I get the price verses quality thing and I have seen my share of PING PONG parts that fail but if your working on a budget you have to do the best you can with that budget. We all hate to have any engine build go bad, clean up the mess and get it back together and keep going good luck with the repairs.

There is no value for your dollar in buying forgien parts.It does nothing to support local jobs...and only hurts your budget when you end up buying replacements. A deep shame about what has happened,both with auto parts and even day to day house appliances. It seems investors have no problem supporting child labour or taking our money for crap products. All that offshore investment has truly tanked quality and the economy.

Dude, sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope you get it worked out. For the record, I've even seen the "quality" parts fail miserably.

I understand the China bashing thing and support Continental sourced products whenever I can. However, you can't blanket blame everything on it's point of origin.
Where do 95% of all our crankshafts start out from?

The market and world we live in is directly related to our own choices. We choose to "pay less" at places like Walmart, we choose to buy Rams and Chryslers from foreign companies, we settle for a percetage of a product being made in the US and say it's OK to call it thhat, we shop at foriegn owned business, we chose to order parts from Rock Auto or cheaper retail outlets instead of traveling or paying more for domestically based and local product.
We got used to deserving everything and deserving it cheap. We made this bed.

I personally would like a new bed. I'm tired of this throw away attitude. I would pay more if I new for absolute certainty that I was getting a quality product.??????????????Somehow got to get back to pride of workmanship and wanting to build to last.

I kinda agree with moper but I kinda dont as well. Here in Canada it seems 95% of what business's stock locally is made offshore,and if you get upset and shop elsewhere in order to buy Canadian or American you get accused of not supporting the local economy,lol....How is it that business is supporting the local economy by stocking so much foriegn made product? Surely the dollor they have spent on it doesnt stay here.So the decision to support made in North America has been taken out of my hands,because stuff made here is near impossible to find. And that is a direct result of investors chosing not to spend thier money here,simply because we in North America DEMAND a living wage.Folks working in offshore factories work for less simply because they most likely have no choice...

I must say that I made the right decision when I chose to buy a Canadian made bed.It took a while to break in but now Im getting the best sleep ever. goes a LONG way towards helping my body heal. It cost us a lot,almost 3 grand but has a 10 yr warrantee. Try getting that from offshore product,lol...

I searched and serached locally for a master brake cyl for my Dart that WAS NOT MADE OFFSHORE. NO DICE....

The market and world we live in is directly related to our own choices. We choose to "pay less" at places like Walmart, we choose to buy Rams and Chryslers from foreign companies, we settle for a percetage of a product being made in the US and say it's OK to call it thhat, we shop at foriegn owned business, we chose to order parts from Rock Auto or cheaper retail outlets instead of traveling or paying more for domestically based and local product.
We got used to deserving everything and deserving it cheap. We made this bed.

-To Dave Moper

Where can I buy American made anymore? Seriously help me out.

Not Lowes, Homedepot, Ace Hardware, none of the baby stuff we just bought for our newborn is even American made at all unless antiques-perhaps in the auto aftermarket often enough. The local auto electric shop wants over $125 to rebuild my car's alternator when I can buy Asian rebuilt alternators for $50 some-odd bucks. I tried to negotiate with him and tell him I'd rather keep my money here locally and he could not afford even close to that price. I cannot afford American prices sometimes. My American peso doesn't go half as far any more. I do not feel like I have choice, more like I am a passenger in the middle of a car wreck.

Greymouser,I feel ya.... I have been resorting to buying older used stuff that was made here,rather than offshore CRAP that ends up in the landfill within 2 yrs...

i have had a set of these on my 340, then on my 418 . they been on here for 3 years, with a .637/651 solid ultra dyne. no problems. they are the 1.6 rockers, when i orig installed them on the x headed 340 i had to do some grinding so i had enough clearence between the spring retainers. i bought these because the were in my price range, i guess im a lucky one.

PRW can be as good as anything else. JUST like ANY aftermarket parts, they should be thoroughly disassembled upon purchase and completely inspected and any imperfections corrected. It's true of the best made American products and it's true of the shittiest made foreign products. Edelbrock heads is a prime example. I'll be damned if I would slap them on right out of the box. No way in hell. As greymouser7 said, give us a list of 100% American made parts. Lets have it. And priced reasonably. I agree with "you get what you pay for" but you shouldn't have to mortgage your frikkin house to build a car.

PRW can be as good as anything else. JUST like ANY aftermarket parts, they should be thoroughly disassembled upon purchase and completely inspected and any imperfections corrected. It's true of the best made American products and it's true of the shittiest made foreign products. Edelbrock heads is a prime example. I'll be damned if I would slap them on right out of the box. No way in hell. As greymouser7 said, give us a list of 100% American made parts. Lets have it. And priced reasonably. I agree with "you get what you pay for" but you shouldn't have to mortgage your frikkin house to build a car.

they come disassembled....you have to assemble them to use them...lol...

got a set still in the box...I think they are the 1.6 ratio....

well..looked in the box..and they are already on the shaft...so take them apart and clean them....

Behind every crappy "off shore" (because China isn't the only place for Manufacturing) is a greedy (typically American company. That simple. The EPA and GOV didn't help by pushing a lot of manufacturing down south and abroad.

I've run plenty of Chinese stuff , I also do my homework on longevity and realize we are talking high end race parts 'high end when considering what 50yr old engines they bolt to' and with that in mind also comes a lifespan expectancy of about a race or 3 at 8500 rpm ...or 500 laps ..or a season at the strip, whatever...set up is critical, routine inspection a must.

**** wears out... wears out even faster when you slap **** it together.

I kinda agree with moper but I kinda dont as well. Here in Canada it seems 95% of what business's stock locally is made offshore,and if you get upset and shop elsewhere in order to buy Canadian or American you get accused of not supporting the local economy,lol....How is it that business is supporting the local economy by stocking so much foriegn made product? Surely the dollor they have spent on it doesnt stay here.So the decision to support made in North America has been taken out of my hands,because stuff made here is near impossible to find. And that is a direct result of investors chosing not to spend thier money here,simply because we in North America DEMAND a living wage.Folks working in offshore factories work for less simply because they most likely have no choice...

I must say that I made the right decision when I chose to buy a Canadian made bed.It took a while to break in but now Im getting the best sleep ever. goes a LONG way towards helping my body heal. It cost us a lot,almost 3 grand but has a 10 yr warrantee. Try getting that from offshore product,lol...

I searched and serached locally for a master brake cyl for my Dart that WAS NOT MADE OFFSHORE. NO DICE....

I agree with most everything you say here brother, with the exception of the highlighted part being a bit bothersome. There's a bunch of folks who DEMAND a living wage, but a pretty good percentage of them don't want to EARN it. Sure a good part of the problem lays at the feet of the corporate monster, but where does the rest of the blame fall?

-
Back