PRW Stainless roller rockers

-
I think they are the same. the part number is the same even though they are supposedly different brands.
Anyone tried PRW, KMJ or C.A.T. roller rockers, since they all appear to be the same? Seems like they might be some Chinese knock-offs or something, but everything else at PRW appears to be high quality.

A buddy of mine just bought some for his 340 but hasn't installed them yet. I was surprised at how good they looked. Looked like good high quality parts just like Comp stuff. Of course looks aren't everything but you can see allot just by inspecting stuff. I wouldn't be afraid to try them.

Has anybody tried these PRW Stainless Steel Roller Rocker sets? They come in 1.5 and 1.6 ratios for both Big and Small Blocks. Are they any good?
http://www.prwonlinestore.com/mopar-2.aspx

i just installed a set of them on my 340. I am still deciding if I am going to use them. I had to machine 3 of them to fit. The armpits rubbed on the valve springs and would not move. They have shimmed up just fine. The geometry seems to be spot on the valve tips. But there is a voice in the back of my head that says 'buy the Hughes' roller rocker assembly. I would not have bought them but my machine shop gave them to me. Quality at first looks good. Still....its my 340...

There's a guy named John Ruskin who has a good thing to say about quality. The short part of it says "If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you take. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better." In terms of fitment, it's common for rockers to rub the OD of teh springs and retainers. It's very common with aluminums to have to clearance there because it's easier than fixing geometry that is off due to machine work, or perhaps parts choice. That being said, you are looking at Chinese produced stuff, and the metalurgy sucks. Even if the machine work is good, the product can fail with no warning because it's not consistant. You are much better with sintered iron that are similar in price and not roller but consistantly good. Whther or not the risk is worth it to you is your choice. I will try the cheap stuff, but I've heard enough about rockers, and they can cost a lot more when they come apart, that I won't use cheap performance rockers.

Never mind the whole "buy US" push that SHOULD be going on right now.

I suspected a Chinese product. I have nothing against the Chinese, all 10 billion of them. And I'm sure their 13 hour a day work ethics can't be beat(pardon the pun). But if the metal they use is junk I can't take the risk. And I really don't want anything Chinese in my car(unless maybe she is 18 and smokin hot)
So I will wait and save my pennies and buy the hughes rockers. They make the steel non-roller ones like the 273s and aluminum rollers for a bit more. Thanks for the insight.

Thanks, so I guess the consensus is that they are Chinese. I'd rather fork out an extra couple hunded for some good ones than have these fail, then be out the cost of good ones and these, and any collateral damage due to their failure.

what i found out is, they have a liftime warrenty, can take spring PSI up to 900 lbs and are made over seas.. and they are bushed..

the overseas part scared me away.. I had enough of that kinda junk..

The lifetime warranty scares me... That means they dont care, they give you more rockers. But the valve, pushrod, piston, block and head.. well, they aint covered. No real performance part will be warranteed...lol. A lifetime warranty means they make a ton off the initial buy, and that's because the parts stink.

Good point, but hughes engines offer a warrenty with thier rockers as well.

i have a new set of prw 1.6 stainless, i havent ran the engine yet, im waiting on new pushrods, these 1.6 rockers will give my valve lift .550 on intake, 570 on exhaust, ill let you know how they work out once i get my 340 back togther.

The American made rockers might have metal from offshore. In sheet metal, we toured a plant in California. The ingots (huge ingots) came from South America and were processed here...in the sheet metal case...they made the ingots skinnier and wider. Ok, I over simplified. But, that might be a question to ask...where did your steel/aluminum originate. Chinese metal machined here ain't any better than Chinese metal machined in China.

Might as well go for the Comp cam rockers and be done with it.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-1322-16&autoview=sku

A couple ..if not a lot of members running these on their stroker motors. I'm running the Comp on my mild 360. I didn't have to shim the rocker shafts up for proper rocker to valve stem geometry so they fit very well. They are made of some good steel.... I think it is ductile steel.

i have a new set of prw 1.6 stainless, i havent ran the engine yet, im waiting on new pushrods, these 1.6 rockers will give my valve lift .550 on intake, 570 on exhaust, ill let you know how they work out once i get my 340 back togther.

I know this is an old thread, but how did these rockers work out for you? I bought a set from a member on this site, for my 318 and I'm working on measuring for pushrods.

I know this is an old thread, but how did these rockers work out for you? I bought a set from a member on this site, for my 318 and I'm working on measuring for pushrods.

Not sure if Brian will be able to answer you very soon as he is on vacation but I know they worked out just fine. I don't know how many miles he put on them on his 340 but I do know the miles weren't real easy miles considering the fair size solid cam he was running, a 4000+ stall converter and 4.11 gears. A few trips to the track too in the low 12's. There sitting on my bench right now as he pulled his engine and were building a stroker. I looked at the rockers the other day and they are very well made and even came with a nice set of hold downs similar to the Hughes rockers. The geometry was right on when he had them on the X heads. Next week I'll be putting them on the new eddy heads and see how they look on them. Almost zero wear showing on them so they must be decent.

Not sure if Brian will be able to answer you very soon as he is on vacation but I know they worked out just fine. I don't know how many miles he put on them on his 340 but I do know the miles weren't real easy miles considering the fair size solid cam he was running, a 4000+ stall converter and 4.11 gears. A few trips to the track too in the low 12's. There sitting on my bench right now as he pulled his engine and were building a stroker. I looked at the rockers the other day and they are very well made and even came with a nice set of hold downs similar to the Hughes rockers. The geometry was right on when he had them on the X heads. Next week I'll be putting them on the new eddy heads and see how they look on them. Almost zero wear showing on them so they must be decent.

This & Brians Post is whats relevant in this discussion, the other posts are meaningless and without any merit/experience using them, just more fear.

JMO based on 1st hand testimonial from a member I trust.
Thanks to Tracy & Brian

just saw these on ebay and they sure "look" nice. Plus they come in 1.6 ratio, the Comps dont.

I picked up a set of the PRW 1.6 stainless rockers, but my heads are still being built. The cam is only .525/.525 I will post how they fit once I get my heads back.

they are on my stroker now, maybe 100 miles on it since assembled, no rocker arm failure, i did mess up acouple adjusters- all my fault, the cup on the adjuster got nicked up because i had the lash to loose on a couple of them,cam is pretty nasty for a streeter 637./651 lift, with 1.6, 263/[email protected] solid .i did have to do some grinding on them when i put them on my x heads , but thats been some time ago.at the time i bought them was on a tight budget.

they are on my stroker now, maybe 100 miles on it since assembled, no rocker arm failure, i did mess up acouple adjusters- all my fault, the cup on the adjuster got nicked up because i had the lash to loose on a couple of them,cam is pretty nasty for a streeter 637./651 lift, with 1.6, 263/[email protected] solid .i did have to do some grinding on them when i put them on my x heads , but thats been some time ago.at the time i bought them was on a tight budget.

Good to know that they work on that big of a cam. Keep us updated.

Too bad they've gone from offering an 'affordable quality product' .....to another company who rapes their customers...

1-2 yrs ago you could buy their rockers/rocker systems for $232-$280....

Now that people have hurdled the poor quality hype...they cost about as much as comps @ $450-$499.

I had heard from someone at a local track that they do not like lots of spring pressure, he put a set on a customers motor, the guy wanted to save dough and it backfired. That was all I needed to hear lol

-
Back