PST's Stiffening Plates Install

-

PST

Marketing Manager
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
Over the weekend Guys I decided to clean up a lower control arm that we had, so our sales staff had an example to refer too. I hope this helps you guys out as well. Please practice all safety precautions when performing this installation

Thanks
James

So what do these parts have in common? Why go with a Mopar tubular lower control? When with these cost effective parts from PST you can achieve the same performance. This weekend one of our employees will do step by step posts on how easy it is to do. So stay tune
moparlowercontrolarm-somethingsomething_zps3cb255d6.jpg

With the pivot shaft removed, now you will have to remove the lower control arm bushing and inner sleeve( on this build we will be installing a PolyGraphite bushing so we will be re-using the outer shell) Many people burn the rubber out, but a cleaner and easier way is with a heat gun. Direct the majority of the heat into the center in sleeve for a few minutes.
IMG_20130223_085719_zpsc2c7beec.jpg

Now that the inner steal sleeve is nice and hot, take a vise grip and grab the inner sleeve and twist. The inner sleeve will easily come free. Once that is free use a pic or thin bladed screw driver and go between the outer shell of the bushing and the rubber center. Then remove the rubber with vise grips.
IMG_20130223_085922_zps60a62fce.jpg

With the control arm clean and free of rubber, take PST's stiffening plate and center it over the back of the control arm. Make sure to have adequate room to allow access to the torsion bar adjuster and control arm bumper. Use multiple vise grips or clamps to hold the stiffening plate flush to the control arm
IMG_20130224_093201_zps274b1967.jpg

After double checking the placement of the stiffening plate make your initial spot welds to hold the plate in place.
IMG_20130224_093617_zpsc8a797e2.jpg

Now with the stiffening plate secured, start welding either side of the plate till completely welded.(Click on the picture to view video)
[ame=http://s671.photobucket.com/albums/vv72/JamesRFrom/?action=view&current=VID_20130224_122357_zpsa265f5bc.mp4]
th_VID_20130224_122357_zpsa265f5bc.jpg
[/ame]

Make sure that you have proper weld penetration of the plate to the lower control arm.
IMG_20130224_122713_zps2038347d.jpg

With welding completed it's now a matter of appearance, in this case I used a grinder with a sander paper flap disc and smoothed out the welds to give a seamless appearance.
If you have any question please feel free to contact us at 1-800-247-2288 or www.p-s-t.com
IMG_20130224_135234_zps426806f2.jpg

Finished cleaning the welds up and gave the control arm a fresh coat of chassis black paint. Stay tune tomorrow I will be installing the PolyGraphite lower control bushing, pivot shaft and torsion bar adjuster. Just a few simple upgrades and you have a control arm that ready to perform in any situation.
James
PST
1-800-247-2288
jfrom@p-s-t.com

IMG_20130224_215234_zps2d567d63.jpg

Well I had some time to make out to the shop today and finished up the lower control arm build. So here it is new pivot shaft, bushing, torsion bar adjuster and stiffening plate. It is a simple and great improvement to any mopar
www.p-s-t.com
IMG_20130225_151953_zps58205dd0.jpg

Thanks
James

Very nice piece. Does the kit come with 2 or 1 plate(s)? The site says qty 2 per vehicle. But doesn't say if the kit comes with 2 or not. I'm looking to order a set before I put my suspension back on.

Very nice piece. Does the kit come with 2 or 1 plate(s)? The site says qty 2 per vehicle. But doesn't say if the kit comes with 2 or not. I'm looking to order a set before I put my suspension back on.

Yes that is a price per set, sorry for the delay in response I was off for the long holiday weekend and had no service where I was

I WANT A SET OF THESE FOR MY EBODY... what is the thickness of them?

good upgrade .they are a weak link. I had one buckle when I slid off the road sideways in to grass .the tire rolled in and over she went upside down in slow motion

One per side I would think for sure :glasses7::D one for each lower control arm . Thank you for the new catalog James, I will keep it ready for all my needs :thumrigh:

Just so you guys are aware(it is in our spring catalog 2014) we have combined the parts needed to do this build in two types of kits.

Deluxe Control Arms Rebuilding Kit $219:
2 Stiffening plates
2 New torsion bar adjusters
2 Greasable pivot shafts
2 PolyGraphite Lower Control arm Bushing

or

Control Arms Rebuilding Kit ( Standard) $199:
2 Stiffening plates
2 New torsion bar adjusters
2 Pivot shafts
2 Rubber Lower Control arm Bushing

Thanks
James

you guys offer shorted tb adjusting bolts for using the bigger than 1" torsion bars? the stock ones stick out way too far on the ones i have used in the past.

Sorry Joe at this time we only offer the stock length.

Thanks
James

-
Back