Pump It Down....EASY

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
While I'm waiting for some parts to get my engine back in, it was the perfect opportunity to do the "Pump It Down " modification to my power steering pump.

Already off the engine made it easier but still easy while in the car.

In the vise
20160618_200546_zpshw8l704m.jpg

Valve assembly out...
20160618_200621_zpsr4tcuzrl.jpg

Stem disassembled

20160618_201145_zpsl6tdblaf.jpg

Little. 016 shim....
20160618_201235_zpsmasis3o8.jpg

I'm lucky to work in a machine shop. ...made up some washers...
20160618_201330_zpsu6uazkjc.jpg

Stacked together. ...
20160618_201410_zps8nrahpqf.jpg

Then just reassemble. ....
Honestly. ...it's easier than falling down drunk!

Jeff

While I'm waiting for some parts to get my engine back in, it was the perfect opportunity to do the "Pump It Down " modification to my power steering pump.

Already off the engine made it easier but still easy while in the car.

In the vise
View attachment 1714945013

Valve assembly out...
View attachment 1714945014

Stem disassembled

View attachment 1714945015

Little. 016 shim....
View attachment 1714945016

I'm lucky to work in a machine shop. ...made up some washers...
View attachment 1714945018

Stacked together. ...
View attachment 1714945020

Then just reassemble. ....
Honestly. ...it's easier than falling down drunk!

Jeff
What are some of the symptoms you have that make this mod worth doing to fix it?

What are some of the symptoms you have that make this mod worth doing to fix it?

Not so much "symptoms" as it is how the power steering is on certain A bodies. Gives them a "light" "disconnected" feeling between the steering and the road. The problem is the pump is too strong. Makes the steering floaty feeling. That's how I can best describe it. But it's odd. Makes it more difficult to center and point the car. To cut/carve corners. You feel separated from the front tires. This mod is designed to be a half way point between over the top power steering and terrible in parking lots manual steering. Gives you a lot of that manual feel on the road. While still having the ability of power steering. It's a recommended mod for anyone doing serious corner driving in their car. As far as I understand it. I haven't done it yet, but its on the list.

It just lowers the the power steering pump pressure making the steering feel tighter.

Jeff

Yup yup. Article in a mopar magazine talks about this. The pumps are way overboosted on the V8 cars giving a disconnected feeling. This is way cheaper than using a custom borgeson GM type steering chuck in your mopar. An alternative to machining your own spacers to drop the pump pressure is to get one of the valve assemblies from a slant six car and swap it to your V8 pump. The saginaw pump in a slanty runs a lower pump pressure than the V8 car possibly due to it being lighter by maybe 200 lbs.

Also using C body idler and pitman arms which are a little longer than A body arms and will increase the steering ratio as well. (T/A challenger trick) this sets the centerlink back a little bit more than stock. Possibly a problem with headers, and only goofs up the ackerman angle when the steering is at full lock.

I think Bergman Auto sells the spacers for under $20 for those who can't make some themselves.

Yup yup. Article in a mopar magazine talks about this. The pumps are way overboosted on the V8 cars giving a disconnected feeling. This is way cheaper than using a custom borgeson GM type steering chuck in your mopar. An alternative to machining your own spacers to drop the pump pressure is to get one of the valve assemblies from a slant six car and swap it to your V8 pump. The saginaw pump in a slanty runs a lower pump pressure than the V8 car possibly due to it being lighter by maybe 200 lbs.

Also using C body idler and pitman arms which are a little longer than A body arms and will increase the steering ratio as well. (T/A challenger trick) this sets the centerlink back a little bit more than stock. Possibly a problem with headers, and only goofs up the ackerman angle when the steering is at full lock.

How about just using a /6 pump and swapping out the brackets? I'm putting a small block in my Duster so I already have the pump and brackets.

How about just using a /6 pump and swapping out the brackets? I'm putting a small block in my Duster so I already have the pump and brackets.
Pulley may be different, then you got to swap em. I think saginaws take a special puller/installer tool. Easier to mod the valve on the V8 pump

I did it to my Federal pump not to lone ago, You just have to take off the tank to get to the pressure valve, I added two washers from an old pump for a total of three and it was a night and day difference for the better.

Jeff

I did it to my Federal pump not to lone ago, You just have to take off the tank to get to the pressure valve, I added two washers from an old pump for a total of three and it was a night and day difference for the better.

Jeff

Glad to hear it was worth it! Really firmed it up huh?!

Jeff

Sure did, I wasn't expecting that much change, well worth it and so simple to do and best off all it was FREE!

Jeff

Sure did, I wasn't expecting that much change, well worth it and so simple to do and best off all it was FREE!

Jeff
Anybody have any diagrams as to what it looks like inside?

best way to describe the feel is a car that doesn't have enough positive caster. I'll take strong arming to park over that any day!

best way to describe the feel is a car that doesn't have enough positive caster. I'll take strong arming to park over that any day!
My Swinger is typical loosie goosie. Yes a little caster would help or reduced pump pressure.

A little off topic, but I always got my "firmer" feel by going manual. :steering:
40 lbs lighter, eliminates a belt, gobs more room on the drivers side, faster to pull or install the motor, ....... AND.... the firm feel :D

I gotta do this to mine. She just has that loose feeling upfront. Like you just cant ever get it pointed. Hate it. Got the .890 bars right now. Going to get 1.03 bars and a nice swap bar front/back setup, new shocks, should totally change the ride.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. I have an old pump I can steal from...

-
Back