Purchasing a car from a private seller. Nightmare.

-
True, but when that states law makes it legal to title skip i dont see how a lawyer is going to make it wrong there otherwise

We all know what "as is" means. We have a dealer here in town everybody knows is crooked, yet he's lost two pretty big cases recently. I think the OP should at least sit down for a free consultation with an attorney. I'm certainly not going to discourage him from doing that, because I am not smart enough to know all the legal loopholes from another state and I doubt anyone else here is either. Cases are often not always as slam dunk as it may seem.

For me the title issue isn't an issue, go register it, if there is an issue with the title you will find out. They have no idea you didn't buy it from the people on the title.

Alan

Last edited:
9k is a pretty good deal on a convertible... even with minor frame damage. Unless its rusted thru it can be fixed . Hell for under a
1k you can install the US frame components.
I think we would need to know more about damage and pics.
It might not be near as bad as you think.
how is the rest of the car as far as rust goes ?

Hello all. First, let me say that I certainly appreciate the wealth of opinions here. All make good points and even the "man up" comments make sense. Now for an update: I texted Bob and emailed him as well early afternoon. He texted right away and I gave him a call. I explained the issues and told him I made this deal in good faith and I'm feeling less than treated fairly. He said he understood and said he was unaware of the badly welded frame. He said he would make a call tomorrow to a mechanic he deals with in my area who has a frame straightener and have him check out the issue. He said he'd have the guy come out and pick up the car to take it to his garage. As far as the title is concerned he said to go to the DMV and transfer it over, it shouldn't be a problem. He said he doesn't want this to be a bad situation and reminded me that he said to call him with any questions after the sale. He said it's doubtful that the issue cant be repaired. We hung up on good terms and I expect to hear from him tomorrow. My thinking is I'll go to the DMV tomorrow with the receipt and just sign it over, see what they say. Keep it under the radar and not make a big deal of it. The guy will come and get the car and advise on it. I did try to run the VIN number through the SOS website but it appears the site is down so I'll find out there tomorrow. See pics of the exterior below. Again, thanks for the encouragement, the tough love, all of it! Keep you posted.

20180803_163651.jpg

20180804_183804.jpg

20180804_182058.jpg

20180805_125116.jpg

20180804_183839.jpg

FB_IMG_1533338701580.jpg

FB_IMG_1533338693392.jpg

Hey, you know the kids today are paying good money making their wheels look like that on purpose! :rofl:

That sounds promising. The frame rail(s) most certainly can be repaired. Many members of this very forum have done it. It requires a lot of drilling and cutting and general metal fab, but it can be repaired. That is the only way I would be happy with it is if the frame rails were replaced.....and I would make him look at all of them, front and rear. This is likely to be your first and last shot at it. He's probably not going to let you just keep coming back. Good luck!

The OP is lucky that IL allows third party sales. You will no get away with that at Fl. DMV. I would never buy a car without an open tittle. That part is totally on the buyer.

I bet those things wear out tires and wheel bearings at a fairly rapid rate. Must handle like absolute dogshit too. That goofy asian **** is just as bad as donks are.

That car doesn’t look too bad in the pics, I can see why he paid the $9k, and it sounds like Bob is willing to help rectify the problem. I think this is being handled the correct way, and I applaud Bob for stepping up to work this out!

Most states still require titles regardless of the age of the car. There are only a few that don't, and Illinois isn't one of them. Illinois requires a title for that car.

I'm afraid that I'm going OT, but I get so tired of the title questions people ask.
Since, as we know, states vary as to what laws are on the book and even then what is actually enforced.

The most reasonable purpose of a title in most all cases is to let the buyer know if there are any other owners of the the car on record to date.
In other words, any liens on the vehicle.
Old cars typically have neither great value nor liens.
It is so rare that anyone would actually contest the ownership of an old car.
And at least equally as rare that a "high value" a collector car is bought and sold.
Then we have the world famous story about the priceless stolen car that was in the container an on the way to Russia when it was recovered.
It made the news because it is so rare.

With our information systems there is no reason states can't title all vehicles.
Run the numbers.
No stolen report?
No body wanted the car?
Issue a title and make money.
It happened to me.

Give me a break. I bought my '74 Duster for $2k. No rust, no major damage. The /6 in it was terminal, but for $2k what do you expect. And I know for a fact my '74 Duster, even with it's 340, 4 speed, 8 3/4 and chassis reinforcement wouldn't pull $9k as it sits, even though I have almost twice that into it. Be realistic.

Different parts of the country...

A convertible, even with the work needed, would fetch $9k in upstate NY.

Some of y'all are insular. Your part of the country isn't my part. Your laws aren't my laws.

That is a good looking car for 9k.
Even with the frame issue you did not hurt.

In Illinois, he bought a pretty good convertible for 9k. He gets the repairs done, and maybe a few other things he may find, I don't see him upside down at all.

P.S. - Sounds like Bob is a decent guy, and really, he is doing more than he is legally bound to do. Some can start their apologies to poor Bob.... :D

Last edited:
you should have the suspension gone thru while it is apart. Perfect time to replace bushings , ball joints , tie rods etc...

Ha, I remember seeing this car on CL last week, was thinking about gong to the Windy City to take a look see. Kind of happy something came up at home. OP, you have a pretty cool classic car and I can see putting some money into it, most of us including myself have shovel money into ours cars. I always look at things such as this as part of growing up...been there and done that.

Am I the only one who is slightly worried about handing the keys over to a buddy of Bob, who you don't know from Adam?

Those pics might be the last we see of that fish

Am I the only one who is slightly worried about handing the keys over to a buddy of Bob, who you don't know from Adam?

Those pics might be the last we see of that fish

I wouldnt worry about that....

Just take a pic of the guys D.L and of his truck and plate with car on it.
Then call your insurance company and up the value to 20k..

Win..win...

I wouldnt worry about that....

Just take a pic of the guys D.L and of his truck and plate with car on it.
Then call your insurance company and up the value to 20k..

Win..win...

until it turns out the title skipping DOES prove to be an issue and the OP cant prove it was his car in the first place

(i know, im being a debbie downer, but the situation might call for it)

Get the correct 67 mag style wheel covers and she will really look great.

I was undecided about the 67 plymouth header panel lettering and using the 68 style lettering on my 67. This car has no lettering on its header panel, and i actually like that better. I may just fill the holes in mine and not put any badging there either.

Bob might send his friend, the original owner, with a duplicate title over there to pick up the "still his" car. LOL:poke: I'd be cautious. The car really needs to go a shop that has some experience in frame repairs or restorations and not Bob's friend the muffler guy that happens to have a welder. Broken frame rails or bad suspension components can result in violent endings. Not a bad idea to get somebody to go over the front end parts as suggested. It needs fixed properly and not a cover up to get you to go away.

Last edited:
-
Back