push button 904 seems like its slipping badly.

-

nerd racing

Reaction score
The trans in the barracuda feels like its slipping badly. Havent driven it enough to break it or wear it out. I just dropped the pan and filled it with the atf for all makes and models. Now its like it takes forever to catch gear. Kickdown is connected. Cranks fine. Could it be the cable out of adjustment? Or is it the wrong fluid?

I've been running the Spirex from Shell , my parts guys swear by it , did you get enough in it ?

Was it slipping before you changed the fluid? I run dex/merc as a generic and haven't had a problem.

Nope, no slipping problems at all before hand.

I put in 4 quarts. I'm not sure my dip stick is accurate. I pulled it out yesterday and saw it had a ford oval and part number on it... The guy who had this car before me was a real piece of work.

What is the fluid capacity of the early 904? I didn't drain the converter.

I don't have my '64 service manual handy, but that doesn't sound like enough fluid. Check it for sure, but I'd guess it would take 5 or 6 quarts to fill it. My '73 truck manual says 6 quarts.

Don't run it like that or you will burn it up in seconds.
If I remember correctly they take between 5 and 6 with a pan drain.

Run a clean wire down the filler tube till it hits the bottom of the pan.
Fluid should be about 2.5-3 inches up the wire while running in neutral.

This eliminates the possibility that the stick reads wrong.

Sounds good, I didn't drive it just tried back and forth. I will do the wire method and then fill it up. Thanks for the tip!

For real. I really want to test out the new tires and the disk brakes.

I would suggest getting a proper dipstick before you do anything , a deep pan will add like 2 quarts depending on which deep pan you use ,and the wire trick won't work the same with a deeper pan , also the converter may or may not drain back after sitting , don't run it until you get a proper dipstick , It's not how deep the fluid is it's how close to the top of the reservoir it is . I am certain 4 quarts is not enough .

PS better check the fluid you put in it is still nice and red and doesn't smell burnt .

I would suggest getting a proper dipstick before you do anything , a deep pan will add like 2 quarts depending on which deep pan you use ,and the wire trick won't work the same with a deeper pan , also the converter may or may not drain back after sitting , don't run it until you get a proper dipstick , It's not how deep the fluid is it's how close to the top of the reservoir it is . I am certain 4 quarts is not enough .

PS better check the fluid you put in it is still nice and red and doesn't smell burnt .

Thank you.
I didn't think that he may have a deep pan, and if that is the case you can still use the wire trick, just add the extra pan thickness to the measurment.

The right stick is still nice, but in the meantime...

I don't think I have the deep pan, it seemed like a normal run of the mill pan to me. plus the filter was pretty close to the pan as is from what I could tell. Plan is to do the wire method then compare to the current stick. if it's good it's good, if it's not right I'll trim till it's right.

Down the road I'd like to go OD 4 speed so I'm trying not to put a lot into the automatic setup.

how are you going to know if it's right ? it's your trans and your money but if you think you have enough fluid in that trans because the wrong dipstick says so you better get on the phone and line up that new 4sp OD now because there is no way the 4 qts you put in is enough , the manual says 17 pints =8.5 quarts , assuming you haven't already burnt the clutches you need to get the total close to that number before you run it under load .

do you know anybody else local to you with a 904 ? at least then you could stick a wire done his tube and figure out were the level should read on the wire .

I know I need more fluid and I won't be driving it for sure until I fix that properly. I'm going to talk to my buddy and see if he has any 904's kicking around. He has a pretty good mopar inventory.

I'm definitely not running it anywhere until I know the fluid is up to par. I feel a bit foolish for not catching that it had a Ford dipstick in the tube sooner.

Definitely more than 4 qts. Check the manual, but I recall more like 8 qts if you drained the torque converter. Unlikely you did any damage. When low, the torque converter isn't full so doesn't transmit any torque thru, thus no load on the plates. My 65 C-body is like that with "morning sickness", i.e. the fluid slowly drains out of the torque converter. I found if I put it in "N", it refills in 5 secs, whereas in "R" it takes 30 sec before I can move.

just an update, put in two more quarts used the wire method and it reads between where it should. Car moves on it's own again. I need to re-time it though, my dad decided to "help" me by advancing my timing. Now it cranks hard and doesn't run right. Shut it down immediately.

-
Back