Quench question for new pistons

-

TimDart

Reaction score
Hi,

whilst i've got the 360 pulled out of my Dart I intend to upgrade pistons for more compression.

I currently have Speed Pro H405 pistons and intend to uprate to the Speed pro H116CP + 30 version. The new piston wil sit .027 from the deck, compared to the curent .050.
I dont really want to deck the motor, will I have any quench problems? Heads are iron with 68cc combustion area.

Same question as above with Eddy heads at 65cc.

I've read a lot on this topic, but am somewhat in the dark still:read2:
Thanks

anyone?
Also, I can use 95 octane gas all day if that makes a difference.

what head gasket are you going to use...?

probably can run 91 octane.....

punch your numbers into one of several compression calculators available on the net & you will have your number. You should have no problem running 10:1 with aluminum heads & premium fuel. You can actually run higher depending on camshaft. What are your plans for camshaft. If you don't have one already, I would recommend Hughes, have actually had good luck with their hydraulic lifters if that's the route you go. Good luck with your build.

"from the deck"... you mean below or above it? I'm assuming it's below deck, and you have no quench with open chamber heads anyway. With the Edelbrocks, the pistons will be too far away to have real quench if they are .027 down in the bore anyway. If you are replacing pistons... I'd recommend you deck the block to get your choice to zero deck (flush with it) or proud .010" (above deck). Then when you do go to Edelbrocks the lower end is ready for good quench.

Thanks guys, i'm a little ignorant as to what quench is, maybe should of phrased the question better. Cam is XE268, here in the uK, pump gas comes standard at 95, can pay more and get 97 also.

The subtext of my question is, I guess, will i experience detonation problems Had none to date.

Your 95 and 97 is about the same as our 87 and 92. I dont think you will with the open chambers... I think you may with the Edelbrocks but you could tune it out.

-
Back