Quest for 7's in the 1/8

-
This is a using a 727 case 904 internals and a powerglide tailshaft not the normal 727
Articles again its just a good article or commode literature.
I didn't read the article and it does sound interesting but this seems to be going quite in depth for somebody who hasn't rebuilt a lot of transmissions...

I didn't read the article and it does sound interesting but this seems to be going quite in depth for somebody who hasn't rebuilt a lot of transmissions...
Its just info for the folks who like different stuff or like to learn more about the relics[trans] we use in our old vehicles.

If you'd like I could cover a couple of the small tips not only that I seen in you boo videos but the video that AAR cuda sent me which is now on YouTube as well...

I found the 727 actually easier than the 904...
I dont' think it's hard to replace parts. But, I dont' understand all the fluid flow, etc. However, transmission couldn't grab my interest. It's like wiring in the bulk head. I hate it. Lot's of things I enjoy about cars, but those things I do not.

If you'd like I could cover a couple of the small tips not only that I seen in you boo videos but the video that AAR cuda sent me which is now on YouTube as well...
Thanks, but I have zero interest in building a transmission. Maybe... MAYBE... if I had somebody in person that was fun and we could laugh together while my knowledge was increased, I could do it. But the one I did was very boring and I didn't care if I ever did it again.

I dont' think it's hard to replace parts. But, I dont' understand all the fluid flow, etc. However, transmission couldn't grab my interest. It's like wiring in the bulk head. I hate it. Lot's of things I enjoy about cars, but those things I do not.
I like doing the transmissions because you get so much bang for your back and you can do all of it yourself...
At least as compared to doing the engine..

Thanks, but I have zero interest in building a transmission. Maybe... MAYBE... if I had somebody in person that was fun and we could laugh together while my knowledge was increased, I could do it. But the one I did was very boring and I didn't care if I ever did it again.
One thing I found is different transmissions can be very different LOL.
I have no interest in rebuilding another Chevy turbo 350 but I enjoyed rebuilding the Mopar transmissions as they're a bit more straightforward and again no special machine shops or special tools..

I like doing the transmissions because you get so much bang for your back and you can do all of it yourself...
And I think that's good. The more you can do yourself, the better off you are. For the times scattered out throughout all the years I've needed a tranny rebuilt, it was cheap for a bench job AND I had a warranty - no leaks and it works ! Could I pull the pump, VB, tail shaft, drums out, clutch pack, bands? sure. Just not my thing.

And I think that's good. The more you can do yourself, the better off you are. For the times scattered out throughout all the years I've needed a tranny rebuilt, it was cheap for a bench job AND I had a warranty - no leaks and it works ! Could I pull the pump, VB, tail shaft, drums out, clutch pack, bands? sure. Just not my thing.
Wait a minute you just rebuilt the tranny LOL...

After rebuilding my first Mopar transmission I've always preached that people do the hard part of taking the transmission in and out and give the easy part a way to somebody and pay them good money to do it..
I've never had one leak or have a problem...

After rebuilding my first Mopar transmission I've always preached that people do the hard part of taking the transmission in and out and give the easy part a way to somebody and pay them good money to do it..
I've never had one leak or have a problem...

You nailed it there! Taking the transmission out and putting it back in is the worst part.

After my brother and I had troubles with 904s built by a local guy that all the chevy guys swore by, I jumped in and started doing them myself. That ended our troubles.

You nailed it there! Taking the transmission out and putting it back in is the worst part.

After my brother and I had troubles with 904s built by a local guy that all the chevy guys swore by, I jumped in and started doing them myself. That ended our troubles.

Smart move

You also nailed it! This way you'd make sure every parts done right because it's yours..
@318willrun do you remember taking a set of heads to a so-called professional? And now you do them yourself...

@318willrun do you remember taking a set of heads to a so-called professional? And now you do them yourself...
Yep. But I used to enjoy porting heads, and all. It was fun. Like the hobby, it was fun. But NOW, I'm burned out in doing heads. I'll have to be "in the mood" before I do another set. I do this hobby because I enjoy it, and when I don't enjoy something it's pointless for me to do it. This hobby is supposed to be about enjoyment, not how much can you "pain" yourself... LOL. OH, transmissions, it has nothing to do with "if I can do it". It's about "I have zero interest in doing it".

After my brother and I had tro
Yep. But I used to enjoy porting heads, and all. It was fun. Like the hobby, it was fun. But NOW, I'm burned out in doing heads. I'll have to be "in the mood" before I do another set. I do this hobby because I enjoy it, and when I don't enjoy something it's pointless for me to do it. This hobby is supposed to be about enjoyment, not how much can you "pain" yourself... LOL. OH, transmissions, it has nothing to do with "if I can do it". It's about "I have zero interest in doing it".
You could shoot over to central Iowa and have lkopaska do one for you. Lon does transmissions professionally and can do 904's in his sleep.

You could shoot over to central Iowa and have lkopaska do one for you. Lon does transmissions professionally and can do 904's in his sleep.
My last transmission that I had rebuilt was in my wife's RC about 4 or 5 years ago at Precision Transmission. All new parts, and a new TC. I do have a guy that builds transmissions for a living. He also builds racing transmissions for all makes. His transmissions are in a lot of cars at the dragway. I also like Tranz Tech's (the Dad). He and I discussed what I wanted in the 904 in my '74 Duster. Kickdown, etc etc, he built exactly what I wanted and that transmission has been through murder.. LOL. It's 100% spot on and he got my shifting spot on. No dash banging but it's a smooth-fast shift. He did it dirt cheap. I don't care too much for who's running that shop now.

I think it's fair to say the general consensus is there is not enough gains in rebuilding the 727 with a MVB to get 2.8 tenths. Appreciate all that gave thoughts or real life examples of their gains.
:thumbsup:

Go Drag Truck !! Your best "times" are ahead of you !!!!! :p

Most are likely wary of transmissions because they are complex, are made up of seemingly a gazillion parts, of the time required to disassemble and reassemble, and can require specialized tools to work on. Easier to take in to someone vs. learning and mastering something else as well. You can’t just bolt-on trans parts and get instant gratification. It’s not like slapping on an intake, carb or headers! That’s what most like! But you, others and I know there’s so much in there that you can modify and upgrade, tools you can improvise, and that tearing into one can he enjoyable and/or rewarding, not to mention the satisfaction of seeing the results of your work and knowledge.:steering: The worst part is in fact removal and reinstalling. :mad:An added bonus is the vast majority in your world are in awe, consider you incredibly smart and skilled, a guru for having rebuilt your transmission.:lol:
And I’d rather rework a trans than port heads ....what a messy tedious job that is!:BangHead:

Most are likely wary of transmissions because they are complex, are made up of seemingly a gazillion parts, of the time required to disassemble and reassemble, and can require specialized tools to work on. Easier to take in to someone vs. learning and mastering something else as well. You can’t just bolt-on trans parts and get instant gratification. It’s not like slapping on an intake, carb or headers! That’s what most like! But you, others and I know there’s so much in there that you can modify and upgrade, tools you can improvise, and that tearing into one can he enjoyable and/or rewarding, not to mention the satisfaction of seeing the results of your work and knowledge.:steering: The worst part is in fact removal and reinstalling. :mad:An added bonus is the vast majority in your world are in awe, consider you incredibly smart and skilled, a guru for having rebuilt your transmission.:lol:
And I’d rather rework a trans than port heads ....what a messy tedious job that is!:BangHead:
What I find funny is folks like Jpar will attempt one home porting job and say "nope, not for me" .... and PAY a machine shop to finish the job. He has never attempted it again. But when I did one transmission and said "don't like it" , I'm supposed to do it and like it anyways. He'll post a lot of post on why I should do it. Doesn't matter if I don't like it. If a feller doesn't like home porting... the "gratitude", the "achievement", the feather in your hat, the results... then don't home port. Same with tranny's LOL.

What I find funny is folks like Jpar will attempt one home porting job and say "nope, not for me" .... and PAY a machine shop to finish the job. He has never attempted it again. But when I did one transmission and said "don't like it" , I'm supposed to do it and like it anyways. He'll post a lot of post on why I should do it. Doesn't matter if I don't like it. If a feller doesn't like home porting... the "gratitude", the "achievement", the feather in your hat, the results... then don't home port. Same with tranny's LOL.
Don’t take what I say the wrong way now, I’ve done my share of head porting (singles, v-twins, inline motorcycles an a few LA and RB heads) to know I like motorcycle head porting better if I had to pick as it’s quicker! I’m just talking a set of heads on the bench to port vs. a 727/904 on the bench. The trans would be my choice. Akin to a choice between painting and mowing the grass. The results can be satisfying and such for either, but riding around with a beer mowing the grass it would be for me!, let’s paint later!:lol:

Grinding away for hours on end days on end to get questionable results... Dust and metal flying everywhere the mess the cleanup it's terrible and the loud grinding squealing noises.... it's a dirty thankless job... The amount of horsepower gain I just rather slap a bottle in the trunk... LOL..

-
Back