Question about 360 blocks

-

ColeTrickle74

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, the Cordoba was introduced in 75 right. I'm reading some stroker literature and it says (for this particular combo) to use a 360 block from 71-74. Cordoba is a year later. Would the 75 Cordoba use the same 360 block by any chance? Or is there even a difference in the two? Any help would be great, thanks.

EDIT: Found the answer

71-74 blocks have more material in the cylinder bore, and thus can be bored out more. The 75 and later blocks were made lighter to improve fuel economy.

Oh well

Only partially true. '71 dated 360s have the thicker bore castings. All C body models that year could have had them. After 72, the 360 blocks used the 360 cylinder cores. All 360 blocks are viable for a 4" stroke with a .030 overbore. If you plan make big power, or want to go wit a bigger bore (larger than 4.03) then the bores should be sonic tested properly before you spend a dime on parts.

Mine is a 78 Cordoba 360 core. I made a stroker out of it 30 over bore. You will be fine as long as you don't bore over .30 ..
hkeller

IMG_0409.jpg

look on the side of the block for the part number on one side and it will have the cast date on the other side.

that is the only way to tell what block you have.

Don't beileve anything about thinner wall blocks. It has allready been debunked as a lie and horse sh%^&(.

Not all blocks are equal and like Moper said above, sonic check it!
Also have the boreing done with a torque plate.

Pretty much. We're not talking about a 350 here.
360 at .040,.060 should have no problem.
Always use torque plates.
I will just say to all that 71-73 or early 360 has a smaller thrust bearing than the later 74-up, gee I wonder why.

340, the thrusts were made smaller on the big blocks around that time too...well, it might have been 72.. in any case, it's only the cylinder casting cores that were used in both LAs for that short time, and the casting quality is so bad, some have wicked thick major thrusts, and less than .100" on the minor because the cores were not placed properly in the molds...lol.

Where can I look for a list of 360 casting numbers? I have a 360 motor with 400-6830-360-1.

Thanks
BW

-
Back