question about displaying the flag

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
i finally got round to replacing the ragged ole flag on my pole with a new one (fully sown and made in the U S of A)

but i couldnt get myself to get rid of the old flag
(it came with the house when we bought it, and it feels like it belongs here)

so, i mounted it to the garage door, but i want to make sure im not breaking etiquette here
i ran two screws through the eyelets and into the door itself

any thoughts ?

20170510_105139.jpg

If your leaving it up at night, you need to have a light shining on it.

I would retire it myself, since it is tattered and has had a long and proud life.

Here is some rules for flag displaying and disposal from the VFW.

• Displaying the Flag
    On Same Staff
    U.S. flag at peak, above any other flag.

Grouped
    U.S. flag goes to its own right. Flags of other nations are flown at same height.

Marching
    U.S. flag to marchers right (observer's left).

On Speaker's Platform
    When displayed with a speaker's platform, it must be above and behind the speaker. If mounted on a staff it is on the speaker's right.

Decoration
    Never use the flag for decoration. Use bunting with the blue on top, then white, then red.

Salute
    All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Over a Street Union (stars) face north or east depending on the direction of the street.

Half Staff
    On special days, the flag may be flown at half-staff. On Memorial Day it is flown at half-staff until noon and then raised.

Special Rules
    Do not let the flag touch the ground.
    Do not fly flag upside down unless there is an emergency.
    Do not carry the flag flat, or carry things in it.
    Do not use the flag as clothing.
    Do not store the flag where it can get dirty.
    Do not use it as a cover.
    Do not fasten it or tie it back. Always allow it to fall free.
    Do not draw on, or otherwise mark the flag.

Illumination Guidelines
    Per Federal Flag Code, Section 2, paragraph (a), it is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.

• Flag Disposal
    1. The flag should be folded in its customary manner.

2. It is important that the fire be fairly large and of sufficient intensity to ensure complete burning of the flag.

3. Place the flag on the fire.

4. The individual(s) can come to attention, salute the flag, recite the Pledge of Allegiance and have a brief period of silent reflection.

5. After the flag is completely consumed, the fire should then be safely extinguished and the ashes buried.

6. Please make sure you are conforming to local/state fire codes or ordinances.

Note: Please contact your local VFW Post if you'd like assistance or more information on proper flag disposal.

It needs to be disposed of as stated above to a VFW, Mil base or American legion.

I would have it destroyed or maybe put inside the garage. But, it in the end it is YOUR property so do with it as YOU please.

I had forgotten about the light, so it will come back down before dawn

It also looks like this might be a violation of "do not use the flag as decoration"

I will take her to the local VFW over the weekend

Hanging it in the garage as a keepsake of the home on "private display" would be good, but it's no longer fit for public display. You can have TheBSoA or VFW dispose of her, but if she has sentimental value, nothing wrong with holding onto her. I have several that flew in Iraq/Afghanistan and that I carried on my back on countless objectives. They are faded and tattered, and will someday be passed down to my daughters

You should not display a flag that is that tattered. It should be disposed of properly (burning). My local boy scout troop has a flag retirement ceremony where they dispose of flags that have been donated to them for that purpose.

Last edited:
You should not display a flag that is that tattered. It should be disposed up properly (burning). My local boy scout troop has a flag retirement ceremony where they dispose of flags that have been donated to them for that purpose.

the original plan was to buy a new flag and replace this one during our house warming party
we would then run the old flag down, and have our pastor burn it (he served 8 years in the airforce and is/was the highest ranking service member we know, except maybe for our friend Mike, who is a CW4, whatever that means)
a few months have passed, and im starting to think that this "official housewarming party" isnt going to happen

so i bought a new flag and replaced the old one
i folded the old one and intend to drop it off at the VFW to be retired

which reminds me i need to get a light on my flag. once i replace my old tethered and worn one i have on dispaly currently. not for decoration but for honor of the fallen incuding my father and friends.

I have a 35' flag pole that came out of one of the fire houses I worked at until a new one was built. I fly the American flag 24-7 365 days a year and won't come down until we loose the HILL! Period. I buy about 2 6x10 flags a year.

(he served 8 years in the airforce and is/was the highest ranking service member we know, except maybe for our friend Mike, who is a CW4, whatever that means)

That would be a Chief Warrant Officer 4. The most senior enlisted rank is CW5.

You don't have to be in the military, or be a boy scout to dispose of your flag, per the information I listed above. Just do it using the rules set forth above.

You don't have to be in the military, or be a boy scout to dispose of your flag, per the information I listed above. Just do it using the rules set forth above.

i understand that, but it is a flag, and needs to be handled with respect
(not saying i wouldnt be able to give it the proper level off respect)
an i figured the highest ranking service member disposing of it would be the highest level of respect i could bestow (plus wouldnt it be an honor to the service member as well?)

at any rate, since the house warming party isnt going to happen, im just going to bring it to the VFW

I understand your feeling uneasy about burning it yourself. I would bring it down to the VFW myself for the same reason.
Just pointing out, that you would not be breaking laws, or desecrating the flag and our country, by doing so yourself. :usflag:

-
Back