question on edelbrock / afb carbs

-

whiteeagle

Reaction score
I saw someone talking once about some small pieces you could buy to de: tune a 600 down to a 500.
Anyone ever hear of this and / or know where to get them?

you can order a calibration kit. they come with jets and rods to lean or richen the carb. or could probably buy the jets and rods listed for a 500cfm.

No way in hell will you make that big a difference. That's 100 CFM. You'd have to change the diameter of the venturis. They do have great tuneability though so I imagine you can make a difference.

the throttle bores and venturi size determines the carb cfm......

you can lean or richen the carb to fix your needs but can not change the cfm

I think he might be talking about a kit that adjusted the weights on the air door to limit airflow?

That might be it. There was a guy selling them on ebay rebuilt and said he would include some kind of what looked like a round shim that went in the venturies and restricted it to a 500

carter used replacable venturi clusters to vary cfm as well as throttle bore sizing.

I think the early Carter 500 cfm carbs use a more restrictive venturi cluster to get the cfm desired. The only problem with just changing the venturi cluster will be the bleed sizes and emulsion if it has it.

There also is a guy on Ebay that offers parts to change your venturi and booster sizes.

If it were me i would find an old Carter 500 carb and use that.

Hysteric

I know this thread has been up for several days, but i'm just curious why you're asking about this. Please humor me.......Are you using this carb on a slant? Is it too rich? Are you trying to get better mileage?

According to the owners manual, the eddy 600 and 500 have the same throttle bore and venturi size. Only jets and rods are different.

God bless

So, a different carb is the real answer? If cfm is too much, seems to be the best way to get to where you are trying to go. Sell the old one if need be. buy a better new one.

I'm with Hemibee.

The be venturi's are larger as mentioned above. IDK about the bore size.

I've seen where people remove the outer rings on the boosters and CLAIM more CFM and power. But that's getting kinda crazy, IMO. Usually, when you do stuff like that, you end up ruining something that was pretty good. Now I have seen the outer rings removed on TQs ALOT, but they are so lean on the primary side, it usually helps every time.

On a TQ, I can see removing the outer ring in certain builds. Otherwise, I'd leave them alone. Better off de-burring and polishing the whole Primary side.

-
Back