Question: What is the Best timing chain setup LA or Magnum

-

MonkeyMadness

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have an LA318 that has a tried timing chain in need of replacing. So now I'm looking for the best setup. I like the idea of the magnum setup with the chain guide, but I also like the like the idea of the double roller setup. But I don't know?
What's the best setup?

I have an LA318 that has a tried timing chain in need of replacing. So now I'm looking for the best setup. I like the idea of the magnum setup with the chain guide, but I also like the like the idea of the double roller setup. But I don't know?
What's the best setup?

Chain guide? No such thing or reason to have a “Chain guide.”

I like the double roller with the Magnum timing chain tensioner.

I've also had good luck out of the Edelbrock timing sets. I've had one in the 360 in my Challenger forever, and when I put a new fuel pump on it a year or so ago, the chain is still tight.

My Harley uses a nylon chain tensioner, replacement cycle is 25-30000 miles. Too many twin cam engines have had failures with tensioners.

I don’t run them on my small block LA or big block RB motors. I really don’t think they hurt or help, but my opinion is why put another wear component inside the motor that could possibly fail.

If one was really concerned with absolute timing accuracy, get a gear drive..

Last edited:
The tensioners just are to reduce the cam timing flutter under high wear conditions.

My Harley uses a nylon chain tensioner, replacement cycle is 25-30000 miles. Too many evolution engines have had failures with tensioners.

I don’t run them on my small block LA or big block RB motors. I really don’t think they hurt or help, but my opinion is why put another wear component inside the motor that could possibly fail.

If one was really concerned with absolute timing accuracy, get a gear drive..

Twin Cams have chains. Evo motors are gear driven.

Best? IDK, but I just installed a summit pro billet true double roller in a magnum with a short snout cam and I was impressed with the quality and the price.
92C98E2B-4F14-47F6-96AF-26896B776CA9.jpeg

I like the double roller with the Magnum timing chain tetensioner.
So I was under the understanding that you shouldn't run both for what ever reason?

I like the idea of this but have been told by others on the forum that it's not a good combo.

I have a new one I could use....

20240526_144625.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t know the reason why it’s a no go thing for who ever said that but IDGAF I’m running it.

Just for accuracy's sake, the tensioners were never used on Magnum V8s, only on the V6s. It's my understanding that something about the odd firing pattern being hard on the chains and the tensioners kept them viable for a longer period at a time when Chrysler Corp. was beginning to offer 70 and 100K warranties...
I run them on engines I don't plan on digging into every couple of years.
I'm also interested in the current crop of timing chains, as my stash of old Cloyes Tru-Rollers has run out...

tensioner v. no tensioner will be a war still being fought long after you, i, and these cars are gone and continue to wage until the heat death of the universe.

top quality true double roller no matter which shoe you put on which foot, though.

preferably something that has keys for adjustment.

summitt billet true roller, edelbrock, melling 40202, cloyes billet true roller, roll master, PRW billet. there's a wide swath budget wise and advance/retard adjustment as well as availability.

i have a feeling that the trick flow and summit billet are the same piece. edelbrock doesn't make their chain, but whoever it comes from it's a nice piece. stay away from the lower tier cloyes and anything that says "link belt". i wouldn't roll dice on anything comp makes, especially when there's another option that's proven is only 10 bux more.

i got jammed up on a job-- straight up beer budget rattle bomb rebuild-- and wound up having to go with the dayco KTC1448. there's no provision for adjustment, but it's a true double roller and i thought that the fit and finish was fine VFM wise.

The tensioner is designed to be used on a link belt type of chain. A double roller will chew it up. At least going by the pics I’ve seen. I’ve never used one, and with a quality double roller chain there will be no need for it.

Chain guide? No such thing or reason to have a “Chain guide.”

I like the double roller with the Magnum timing chain tensioner.
That's what I have been doing for many years now.
True roller, with key ways to degree cam, and magnum tensioner

The tensioner is designed to be used on a link belt type of chain. A double roller will chew it up. At least going by the pics I’ve seen. I’ve never used one, and with a quality double roller chain there will be no need for it.

I’ve used several tensioners on double roller chains and it didn’t eat it up.

What you can’t do is use that stupid bolt with a hole in it, drip trays, oil slingers or any of that garbage.

You have to get pressurized oil onto the chain.

I’ve used several tensioners on double roller chains and it didn’t eat it up.

What you can’t do is use that stupid bolt with a hole in it, drip trays, oil slingers or any of that garbage.

You have to get pressurized oil onto the chain.
Hard to argue with first hand experience

-
Back